I'M HOOKED
Sep 30, 2009 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
Today I got to demo a pair of Grado SR60i's and SR80i's...

WOW.

I am a life long musician and have owned countless pairs of "studio" headphones, and none of them compare.

Even though they were powered by a cheap-o Boostero Radio-Shack special, they sounded phenomenal. I ordered a set of SR60i's off of Amazon and I am practically rolling around on the floor gibbering waiting for them to show up.

Now I just need a decent amp to power them....

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 27
Don't worry too much about amping them. They sound just as great unamped. Try tweaking the headphone, you'll get a better improvement than amping. You can disassemble the driver and replace the black plastic mesh that is more porous so it lets more air resonate in/out. Then, try cutting a quarter sized hole in the pads to reveal even more detail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 27
I'm almost positive that Grado has a secret deal with every other high-end audio company. They sell their lower-end products really cheap to get people addicted so they can all feast on our wallets.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 27
"welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!"

had to be done.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 27
Welcome to the Grado club! I've been using Grado for years and they never cease to impress me. Like xkRoWx said the SR60s don't even need amping, I put them into my Little Dot I+ and Audiotailor Jade and they sound almost the same. The only gripe I have about them is that they aren't circumaural, and the pads tend to get a bit itchy after a while, but this can be solved with some C-Pads! V9 Grado C-Pads, Grado Pads

You can also get nice lambskin headbands from Jmoney: JMoney Audio

dt880smile.png

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 27
Congrats and welcome to Gradoland - you're in for a marvelous aural ride. Wait til you get upgradeitis and end up with a pair of HF-2s paied to a Darkvoice tube amp and a DacMagic.....sorry for your wallet.
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 27
Congrats! You'll love them!

I don't know if you're free this Sunday, but there's a little meet going down in San Diego. I'm planning to make a weekend of it down there, so if you can attend, you'll get a few more hits of headphone crack.
evil_smiley.gif
As good as the SR-60i is, wai until you hear what else is out there.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry too much about amping them. They sound just as great unamped. Try tweaking the headphone, you'll get a better improvement than amping. You can disassemble the driver and replace the black plastic mesh that is more porous so it lets more air resonate in/out. Then, try cutting a quarter sized hole in the pads to reveal even more detail.
smily_headphones1.gif

how do these two mods affect the bass? I almost quarter modded my flats the other day but I was worried about it screwing with the bass/making the treble shrill

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 27
Moar bass punch.

The best comparison would be to cover the backs of the headphones with your hands while music is playing, then remove them; Changing the grille is about the same as removing a second, `Ghost´ set of hands.

At least, that's what I've heard basically everywhere. Haven't needed to try it, because I'm using '225s.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 27
You definitely seems hooked. Welcome!
biggrin.gif

1243888971l62oTN.jpg

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 27
Welcome! I'd listen to them without mods or an amp. Enjoy them until you start to wonder how they might sound better. Then worry about all that. But get the most mileage as it is.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 27
One good thing about living near Los Angeles is that you can find ANYTHING here. I was able to demo two sets Grado's, SR60i's and SR80i's, and liked the 60i's better.

However the types of pads over the phones were different. The 60i's had 'pancake' S-cushion pads and the 80i's had doughnut looking L-cushion pads. Is it possible that the type of pad affected the output on the 80i's?

I also need to get an amp because my tiny Zune cannot power the 'phones with out clipping. I do have an iPod, but after another attempt at a DIY iMod it is unreliable. Plus, Steve Jobs is the antichrist.

On that note, what MP3 player does the best with Grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back