I'm going Vinyl!
Nov 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

slytown

100+ Head-Fier
Just ordered a slough of early X-mas presents. A Technics SL1200MKII-B, a Cambridge Audio 540p, and a slough of records 12"s...

Gene Dunlap - It's Just the Way I Feel
Fat Larry's Band - Lookin' For Love
SebastiAn - The Remixes
Gene Dunlap - When You're Hot
Camisra - Clap Your Hands
Daft Punk - Homework (Just had to have it)
Donald Byrd - Thank You for f.u.m.l
Free Life - Dance Fantasy
Neil Young - Harvest
Nightmares on Wax - In a Space Outta Sound
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You

I currently only own My Morning Jacket - Z, Grandpaboy - Dead Man Shake, and Kraftwerk - Radio Activity.

Any other LP suggestions I should have right off the bat? I like pretty much everything but am trying to focus on disco (salsoul) and classic house tracks. I'm also getting into Acid House if anyone has suggestions there.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 17
I have two tips for you:

1. Used record stores

And 2. garage sales.

There, I even bolded them for ya.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 17
Iron Maiden - everything they released in the 80s

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two tips for you:

1. Used record stores

And 2. garage sales.

There, I even bolded them for ya.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm with moogoob, you'll soon find out how expensive vinyl can be if you buy new. I frequently see DJs selling their entire stacks of lps, also keep an eye on craigslist.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 17
That list is from Discogs.com and Musicstack.com I don't live near any record stores unfortunately, but I'll soon be going back to Omaha and hopefully Chicago, so I'll do some searching there in my free time. Thx guys. Do you have a suggestion for a good record cleaning kit or maybe an at home remedy?

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a suggestion for a good record cleaning kit or maybe an at home remedy?

For under $100 I like the Orbitrac 2 but I don't know if they are still around. If you can spare a few hundred, the Nitty Gritty is a really good one.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Get friends with a DJ take him out to eat, buy his hand-me downs. You can get a lot of record promos on the cheep.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm lovin vinyl. So warm. I should change my setting on my Compass and see if I can get the bass in my house tracks even warmer. I'm so glad I added vinyl to my set-up. Turns out I'll be going back to Omaha, so I can go back to the record shop there downtown and pick up all the cheap Disco I saw last time I was there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be taking my turntable to CanJam 2010. Should be a blast.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 17
I also strongly recommend used vinyl. Garage sales, thrift shops, junk stores, etc. are your friend.

New vinyl is great, but you'll pay through the nose for audiophile pressings. Go get the used stuff. It can be hugely cheap and you never know what you'll find.

That is, in my opinion, the true magic of vinyl. Go buy any used record that looks interesting and keep your mind open. There's music out there that you already love but don't know about. Finding it in a box of records you paid $20 for is the best thing ever.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 17
I just got my vinyl setup back up and running, and yes, it is a wonderful experience! Congrats on discovering the joys of black discs!

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Yes, who knew oil could sound so good. About half of my records, which is a relatively small number, are used actually. So I got some gems that I couldn't get in digital form for pretty cheap. Like for instance, there is a German house producer named Disco Diamonds that put out 10 eps and they are only on white-label promos. They are hard to find, but there are a few scattered around the EU and some are less than 10 euros. Some stuff I'm willing to buy new, like Daft Punk's "Homework" and Cassius 1999, but yea I plan to do some crate digging. Right now I'm browsing through Discogs and Musicstack dealers.

Someone on head-fi recommended getting Homework on vinyl. OMG. So good. It really makes me want to re-listen to a lot of my other favorite tracks on vinyl. And I think the Cambridge preamp does really well. I thought it might be a little thin, but it so isn't. All I have to do is try TTVJ's cleaning solution and get the pops out. I'll have it sometime next week.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 17
The only frustrating thing is I have to run my table through my Compass to get the input level down for my 410. So, if I want to run straight through compass to my speakers I have to switch cables back and forth. I guess a volume controlled pre would have fixed this, but I really wanted to try the Cambridge.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 17
OMG. I just went through my mom and dad's old vinyl collection. Me and her had a blast. The Floater's first album, K.C., Chaka Kahn, MJ's Off the Wall album, Kool and the Gang, etc. I just went from having 10 albums to about 80. My sampling just got a little more interesting. It was hilarious cuz she had workout albums and she didn't realize she had so much Barbara Streisand. Good times. They also told me about a record shop downtown I didn't know about, so we're gonna go check that out. "It's the best time of the year."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back