I'm going to the dark side... but not too dark (Which Sennheiser is for me?)
Dec 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Finding a used 580 would be the best entre' in my opinion. First off, I am not sure you can still find these new. If you are enchanted by the sound right off, you are good to go. Upgrading the grills, and cables would be a way to further tune to your taste.

I have both the 580 and 650, but not the 600 (I can't stand that pebbly color). The 650 is for sure a bit darker, but does have a better range than the 580. Both are comfortable to wear, and do well in long listening periods.

BTW, I also own balanced HD800, and W5000, which are both superb upgrades in both lines. Even at this point, the Senn is the one I can listen to without fatigue.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 21
I have a line on an HD600 from a fellow head-fi'er for only a bit more than the HD580's I have been looking at so I'm going that route as soon as we figure out if the shipping won't be too prohibitive. I find the coloring a bit weird but I think I can grow to like it LOL. I like the idea of non-fatiguing which is what I'm finding with the AT CKS70, they are comfortable and all the high treble is toned down enough I can wear them all day without fatigue. So if these give me that, I will probably be set (like that will last long LOL).

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 21
New 580's can still be found, but are only about $50.00 less than the better deals on new 600's. Considering the differences in grills and cables (and re-sale value), better to go with the 600's if buying new IMO. For whatever reason, most of the used 580's I've come across lately have been pretty beat. I concur that the 650 is a very different animal and downright murky sounding in comparison.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 21
All this sound of 'murky' 'dark' and 'veiled' of the HD650 is scaring me off upgrading my 580s to them one day.
Maybe you guys just aren't amping them properly?

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 21
Well I'm in all the way now
smily_headphones1.gif
. I finalized the purchase and paid for the HD600's they should be here next week I hope. Looking forward to testing these babies out.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 21
Well...many say HD600...but I sold mine for hte HD650 after I auditioned them, and never looked back. Clarity is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back