I'm going to guess Sennheisers desperately NEED recabling !!!
Apr 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice handwork! – I agree that there are better cables than the stock cable for the HD 650, better still if you can make one yourself that suits your sonic demands.

BTW, the HD 800 stock cable is much better.

That's good to know .... Because man, this was a PITA to make !

Two different types of conductors ... VERY difficult and different variation on a quad braid, and a twist that depends on PERFECT lay of intertwining the wires.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #93 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His amp was the Hifiman 801 portable player .... I'm using my Rudistor, with the volume only half way up ....

And you're not playing 96/24 digital? 'cause that'd explain the liveliness you heard with the Hifiman.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #94 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're not playing 96/24 digital? 'cause that'd explain the liveliness you heard with the Hifiman.

I am indeed playing 96/24 digital. The difference wasn't in the amp at all. I did a lot of AB testing when trying to pin point the reason for the veiled sound. No doubt about it ; It was the cable for sure. My HD-580s now sound WAAAAAAY better than the ones did at the meet. That's what is so amazing to me. That a cable could be holding the cans back SO much. I honestly didn't believe the 580s could sound so very good.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #95 of 106
Oh cheers, and here /me was going to be overly polite about the Senn HD650 cable...

Thing is, most manufacturers save on wiring. A lot. Even the copper that goes into network cables is of a lot better purity (and twisted, yes). So a cheap recable is some UTP cable :)

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #96 of 106
Seriously? There are lots of (sane) people here who can't hear a difference between a $30 cable and a $300 one. And they're audiophiles. Don't tell people they don't belong here if they don't believe in cables, thats ridiculous.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #97 of 106
Quote:

There are lots of (sane) people here who can't hear a difference between a $30 cable and a $300 one. And they're audiophiles.

LOL ... The above statement is a contradiction to itself.
wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #98 of 106
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Not really since there is absolutely no proof that cables make a difference, ESPECIALLY since there has been no documented DBT done that had somebody succesfully pick out cables in a DBT, only failures.

So, my friend, it is placebo.

The fact that you don't think people can be audiophiles without believing in cables is pathetic, and people like you don't deserve to read this forum. I would bet thousands upon thousands of dollars that in a properly done DBT you wouldn't be able to tell a difference, and would then be eating your own words.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #99 of 106
Audiophilia != Cablephilia. I listen to music, not cables.

Please do not refute my right to audiophilia for not believing that a shinier piece of copper can double the quality of my headphones.

You can, however, convince me that it can. I'd love to be convinced, because I'm inexperienced and thus on the fence. I'm just too skeptical to take your word for it, though.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #101 of 106
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Downsize, good for you if you enjoy your new cable, but don't try and force your opinion on everyone else, and even going as far as saying they are not audiophiles.
Methinks you are just trying to justify the cost...

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #102 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downsize, good for you if you enjoy your new cable, but don't try and force your opinion on everyone else, and even going as far as saying they are not audiophiles.

It's quite fun to see, for once perhaps, the other side having to put up with some of their own attitude in other threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #103 of 106
Hm. So for every fellow who's happy with his recable, there's a bunch of fellows who're unhappy with his happiness...

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #104 of 106
Quote:

I am a Scorpio, dynamic as hell, and I guess it comes through in my writing. But it's not going to change, so if you do not like it, don't read my words.
For I will always call a spade a spade ... Cheers !
popcorn.gif

You believe in astrology, 'nuff said. :p

I hear many people talk of the qualities of copper vs silver, more weight and texture vs thinning out the sound. Its funny, because most "music enthusiests" go out of their way to avoid silver because it washes out textures and timbres, yet most "hifi" people go out of their way to promote silver for these reasons. I dont know what the point of this paragraph is other than some entertaining facts.

I've always wanted to try a recable for the hd650, but only because I am curious as to whether or not it will actually make a difference, as I have not tested the difference I wont comment other than to say I probably wouldnt spend more than $50 on seeing if cables make a difference or not.

Personally though, if you really want a hdXXX without the dark "viel" just buy a different brand of headphone... Its the most surefire way to know that the sound characteristics are "real"

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you know the cost of his cable is like $30 max .

i don't believe wires make a difference silver copper paper clips coat hangers tried them all and they all sound the same recable is purely about looking pretty. ps all my wires are expensive and shinny and made by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back