I'm going to guess Sennheisers desperately NEED recabling !!!
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

downsize

Member of the Trade
Here's why I say this :

At the recent Boston meet, I heard a pair of HD580s that had HD600 grilles and a $100 re-cable job ... and WOW did they sound good !!!!

So good, I had to get a pair ! So two weeks later, I just received an awesome pair from another Headfi member. Brand new earpads, 600 grilles, and a 650 cable. They look pretty much new, and I am VERY positive I got a great deal from a great seller .... But;

They sound NOTHING like the pair I heard at the meet. The owner of the ones I heard at the meet had taken the time to express to me the 580s NEEDED a good re-cable to sound as good as what i was hearing ..... thus this post, because although I was silently skeptical with what he was telling me, apparently he was dead on, and a recable has to happen fast !
Good night !

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 106
uh.. it's much more likely that your amp isn't up to the task.

What amp was the person at the Boston meet using?

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 106
^ Amp sounds more of the problem. Also keep in mind that your brains are always playing tricks on you. Perception of sound changes with moods etcetera. Listen to them for a while. Your current statement that they NEED recabling is just a very weak one right now.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 106
Also make sure that you are using close to the same volume level that was used at the meet. You are probably listening at a lower volume at home.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 106
Surely you hear differently each time. Sometimes I feel great when the weather is nice and air smells good, I take a beer, lay down, put on my phone and listen to my favorite music. It sounds great. I can hear every detail andy brain receive and process them all. Another day, after working in a noisy place I get back home feeling pretty tired. I put on the same phone and listen to the same songs but it sounds lifeless and my brain don't like to take details anymore.

That said, you can't tell your phone is worse than your friend's one especially the two phones are pretty the same and the only difference is cable.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 106
This is more likely a case of your amp not being up to the task. Listen to apatN and Nullstring. Cable Voodoo is not going to make that big of a difference.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 106
eh no the most important one is the headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 106
I want my HD600's to sound like Ray Samuels pair........

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 106
most likely your amp or source isnt the same; best if you could post what you're using your headphones with.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh.. it's much more likely that your amp isn't up to the task.

What amp was the person at the Boston meet using?

His amp was the Hifiman 801 portable player .... I'm using my Rudistor, with the volume only half way up ....

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 106
Unless the setup is the same, under the same conditions, you're likely not to have the same listening experience.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 106
Nevertheless, a better cable makes quite some difference. I would try Zu Mobius or Moon Audio Silver Dragon. The Rudistor should be a good match with the HD 580/600. Don't know about your source.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 106
Amps are key. My Darth Beyers sound like crap direct from the macbook, even from the headphone out of the Apogee Duet. But stick even a Hornet (or best of all a Melos) in between? Wakes that can right up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back