Im going to buy the e3c's...bad idea?
Dec 30, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mls64
The yellow foamies seem to be the way to go for me, too, giving a better fit, which seems to be critical for them to sound full. Much more so than my E2c. Shame that only one pair of the foam comes with them! I'll need to order more, and may pick up some of the rippled silicone sleeves as well, as they supposedly create a better seal than the soft gray sleeves.

Yeah, I like the foamies as well. Easiest to get a fit with at minimal loss of detail/clarity from the grey flex sleeves. I agree that their should have been more pairs included. I wonder how much foamies are...

Dec 30, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mls64
Got mine today, as well. Same exact impression at first listen out of the box. I think that they need some break-in time as well. The treble sounded thin and distorted at first. ..snip

... supposedly create a better seal than the soft gray sleeves.

Same impression here about the sound. I just got mine a couple of days ago and my first impression was bad and I thought I had to return them. Then they started sounding good within a day or so. Now I love them. Very strange experience.

The other thing you mention is key for me. The soft grey sleeves are very comfortable, but I have to jam them in my ear to get a good seal and sometimes they wiggle out. This comfortable grey sleeve is a major reason for me to own the E3's. But, for consistently good sound, I may have to go to the foamies, or may try some of the aftermarket triflange's. Hows the comfort on the triflange versus the foamies?

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 50
Foamies definitely more comfortable in the beginning. Triflanges will get more unnoticeable as you wear them, but it takes quite a bit of experimenting to get the right seal, and it can be more painful.

Triflanges offer the best seal and is better for the most part (except for comfort). They are cheaper in the long run than the foamies too.

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
The soft grey sleeves are very comfortable, but I have to jam them in my ear to get a good seal and sometimes they wiggle out. This comfortable grey sleeve is a major reason for me to own the E3's. But, for consistently good sound, I may have to go to the foamies, or may try some of the aftermarket triflange's. Hows the comfort on the triflange versus the foamies?

It is worth repeating, I think, that you can prevent the grey sleeves from wiggling out by clipping the wire to the back of your shirt with a little slack. Before I did that, I had the same problem; now I can use the grey sleeves with no worries.

But I also liked the triflanges (when I had them)--I found them more comfortable than the foamies, but that is a minority opinion, I think. I just wish they were more reasonably prices. I can get one pair of Shure triflanges for $10 or 5 pairs of etys for $15, but I only want one pair, so either way, it is overpriced.

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigma
..snip
Triflanges offer the best seal and is better for the most part (except for comfort). They are cheaper in the long run than the foamies too.

Know anyplace that has a good price on the triflanges? or extra foamies, for that matter?

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
Having said, I'm very interested what will happen when I get back home in a couple of days and take the ER-6i's for another week-long spin. I have a feeling I'm gonna realize how much I missed the high-end detail on the Ety's.

Or you might wonder how you could have lived so long with that unnaturally bright sound
wink.gif
That's what happened to me when I used my old Sony V6's after listening to nothing but the E3's for a while.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pov
Or you might wonder how you could have lived so long with that unnaturally bright sound
wink.gif
That's what happened to me when I used my old Sony V6's after listening to nothing but the E3's for a while.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the e3c's bright. I think when compared to the etys, the shures aren't bright at all.

I think that the e3c's sound best with either the tri-flange sleeves or the foamies. Though I do agree with mls64, shure should definetely include a few more pairs of the foamies. I think that the tri-flanges give the shures more clarity and detail than the foamies though. Sometimes when I use the foamies the shures can almost sound muffled. But that may just be because I am so used to the tri-flange sound on both the etys and my new shures. Also with the tri-flanges, I can almost always get a good seal with little effort.

Regards,
Dan

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
I wouldn't go so far as to call the e3c's bright. I think when compared to the etys, the shures aren't bright at all.

I think that Pov was calling the Etys bright, actually. Or that's how I
interpreted it.

Thanks for the info on the triple plugs. I'll have to pick up a pair and see.

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pov
Actually, I was saying that the Etys might sound bright if you go back to them after having lived with the Shures for a while.

Yeah most likely. Im going to try and only listen to the shures for a week and then go back to the ety's and then I'll be able to truthfully compare the two.

Regards,
Dan

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #41 of 50
Got my E3 yesterday.
I started with the gray tips; no bass, ont even when I switched to the larger grey tips; strange, I clearly got a seal (it does 'pop' when I take them out).
Then I tried the foamies; bingo! Very nice sound; clearer them my E2, smooth yet detail enough and very good timing to hear the instruments texture and what the artist is doing.

I read about a mod, somewhere, small Sony tips from the 71 inside the gray sleeves; better, almost on par with the foamies and more comfortable.

Strange though, on other canalphones (Sony, Sharp, the Shure E2) I have no trouble at all getting the best bass the phones have to offer, but the E3 seem more critical.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
Got my E3 yesterday.
I started with the gray tips; no bass, ont even when I switched to the larger grey tips; strange, I clearly got a seal (it does 'pop' when I take them out).
Then I tried the foamies; bingo! Very nice sound; clearer them my E2, smooth yet detail enough and very good timing to hear the instruments texture and what the artist is doing.

I read about a mod, somewhere, small Sony tips from the 71 inside the gray sleeves; better, almost on par with the foamies and more comfortable.

Strange though, on other canalphones (Sony, Sharp, the Shure E2) I have no trouble at all getting the best bass the phones have to offer, but the E3 seem more critical.

My two favorite sleeves for the e3c's are the foamies and my silicone tri-flanges from my old etys. The only problem with the tri-flanges and my e3c's that I have discovered is that after about 2 hours or so of listening, they can get a bit uncomfortable. However, the foamies maintain great sound and are always comfy.

Regards,
Dan

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #43 of 50
I currently own the ERP-4 and have owned the E3 and ER-6.

The etys are more detailed and neutral. You can use equalizer settings to emphasize some frequencies if needed. With the E3, you are stuck with their sound signature.

The ER-6 have a much thinner sound than the ER4-P.

As for comfort and portability, there are so many different opinions that I can only advise you to try both.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

My two favorite sleeves for the e3c's are the foamies and my silicone tri-flanges from my old etys. The only problem with the tri-flanges and my e3c's that I have discovered is that after about 2 hours or so of listening, they can get a bit uncomfortable. However, the foamies maintain great sound and are always comfy.

It's the foamies for me too. But foamies stat to itch slightly after two hours. And they have to be preplaced regularly.
But this is bearable, and the sound is really great; I love the E3.

Right now I'm experimenting with using Sony Ex71 tips on the E3; the bass seems almost on par with the foamies, but I haven't enough experience yet to judge the stability of the seal.
Strange how getting a seal is, for me at least, much more difficult with the E3 then it was with the E2.
But sound- and comfortwise the E3 are far better, and less occlusion (the thumb-sound from your steps) then the E2.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 50
I will emphasize the key signature of the etys' sound is neutrality.
I easily get tired after about 2 hours of listening with my e3c.
I can go over 4 hours of continuos listening with my er4p.
The shure earphones (e2c and e3c) have an overempasized and hard edged midrange sound that I usually find uncomfortable after long listening session.
My other complain with the e3c is that all the bass start sounding like a one note one (one note bass thumping) after extended listening as compared to the er4-p. I've logged more than 40 hours of listening with my e3c and have burned them in for at least 25 hours and this earphone is definitely not in the same leage as the etys er-4p (as many in this forum are suggesting) when used with portable players that have decent output. My karma player is rated at 55mw@16ohm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin
I currently own the ERP-4 and have owned the E3 and ER-6.

The etys are more detailed and neutral. You can use equalizer settings to emphasize some frequencies if needed. With the E3, you are stuck with their sound signature.

The ER-6 have a much thinner sound than the ER4-P.

As for comfort and portability, there are so many different opinions that I can only advise you to try both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back