Im going to buy the e3c's...bad idea?
Dec 23, 2004 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
I am pretty used to the clean and extremely detailed sound of the etymotic er4p. When i had the time to listen to music at home i had a pair of grado rs-1's which fit my music perfectly (radiohead, led zeppelin, tom petty, coldplay, dave matthews band...etc).

Will the shure's be a bad choice for my ipod? I was planning on buying them from PC Mall for $120 with free shipping, so I won't be spending the full price of $179.

I want something very portable that doesn't need an amp (though I will use it sometimes with my SR-71).

Also, I was curious about how you wear the e3c's...does the "behind the ear" thing ever get annoying? Where does the cord go...down your back?

Please help me make the right choice.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
Also, I was curious about how you wear the e3c's...does the "behind the ear" thing ever get annoying? Where does the cord go...down your back?

You can wear them hanging down just like the etys and still maintain a perfect seal. It's pretty easy to get a good seal and fit with the shures also. I can't compare the sound to the etys, as I have never heard them. Good Luck with your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 50
I wear mine with the cord behind the ears, and then running down in front of me. It takes a little practice, but very little. I've seen posted here that you can wear them with the cord coming straight down, but it does NOT say that in the manual.

As far as sound goes, I don't have the ER4's so I cannot compare, but based on everything I've read you will probably miss some detail, but you will have better bass. BTW I should add that I've been using the E3C's for several months now and I absolutely love them.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 50
I don't think you are going to be happy going from the ety to the shure unless you are specifically looking for a different sound signature.

They seem to come from polar opposite views on what constitute's good sound.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 50
As raif said, the sound is very different from the etys.

Personally I upgraded from the e3cs to the ER-4P and there are some times that I wish I still had the e3c. The Shures are warmer and have more bass, although it isn't as tight as the Etys. The first thing you might notice though is the apparent lack of detail. I think there's a good couple of weeks of mental burn in to achieve the e3c's full level of detail.

When I went from the e3c to the ER-4P, I couldn't really tell the difference in detail except on the very highs and the lowest lows since my mind had become accustomed to the Shure signature. I do agree with Lindrone in his e3c and ER-4P review that the Shures are better when you're actually portable; the raised mid range cuts out a lot of sound that the isolation doesn't. The Etys sound really good amped w/S adapter, but unamped, between the ER-4P and the e3c, I would go for the e3c. I can't say the difference between the ER-4P and the e3c is different enough for the 75 dollars or so upgrade. At least in my ears. Maybe between the ER-4S and an amp. Also, the e3c is tons less microphonic if worn behind the ear. Also, Shure's replacement/customer service is very very good. If you have the money to also buy e3c's, I would go for it. Plus, unlike the etys, you can sleep with them!
biggrin.gif

Jon

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 50
Personnally, I prefer behind the ear, and under my shirt. Then again I use them at work where I am constantly moving around.
They work fine without an amp with my ipod, but I am dieing to see the difference my PCII will make.
Though, if you already have a etyp4, I don't see why you don't just by an S adapter to use with your amp. Just a thought.

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 50
Coming from someone who used the ER-6i for a solid two weeks before trying the E3c, I would think you are going to be initially disappointed. From what I can gather, the ER-6i exhibits the typical Ety sound signature with just a hint more "warmness" and a slight punch at the low end.

The E3c has very strong and dominating mids with rolled-off highs. When I first listened to them, I thought they sounded like crap. I had gotten too used to the detail on the ER-6i. Now a week into listening to just about nothing but the E3c, my ears are starting to get acclimated to them. The bass is comparable on both with the E3c having just a touch more pop but the ER-6i, with it's clearly discernible details has, to me anyway, more "impact" at the low end since I'm not distracted by muffled highs and overpowering mids.

Although I must say, I'm beginning to think I really do prefer the Ety sound signature with all its detail. I know some people call it artificial, but to my ears it sounds like I'm finally getting a good look at layers and layers of music that I had been missing up until now. Right now I'm leaning towards returning the E3c and saving up to upgrade to the ER-4 and a good amp. Guess I'm turning into an Etyhead
etysmile.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 50
OK! I've heard enough! I'm buying a pair today.

If I absolutely hate them, which i just might...ill return them. The curiousity is just too strong to pass up.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards,
Dan

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 50
When I first had a pair of e3c's, I wore them behind the ear, and didn't like it that much. It was better than wearing them down because it cut down on microphonics, but It pulled on my ears when I turned my head. not terrible, but, combined with my glasses, irritating. I lost them long ago, and was all ready to pick up some Ety ER6i's (I'd never tried them, but I thought they might be more comfortable) when I received a pair of e3's as a gift.

I would have been kind of disappointed--I always liked the e3 sound, but not the comfort--if I hadn't figured out the following trick. I attached a shirt clip to the E3's wire, just below the clear plastic slider. Then I wore the e3's behind my ears as usual, and clipped the wire to the back of my shirt, on my collar directly between my ears, I am able to leave a little slack in the wire so that I have all the benefits of having the wires behind my ears (minimized microphonics), but they no longer pull on my ears when I turn my head! It works so well that I can now comfortably use the grey soft tips; previously, I had to use the tri-flanges, since the grey tips would slip out sometimes when i turned my head, since the wires would pull on them. But this works perfectly for me.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 50
I've had the e3c's for a few days. Initially I was disappointed -- the sound seemed flat and a bit harsh. It may just be that I'm getting used to them, bt they seem to be getting smoother and more detailed with time. I'll confirm the experience that the shure's mid-rangey sound works well on the road in noisy conditions. Listening to them unequalized on the NYC subway they sounded just fine to me, but at home when it's quiet they sound a bit off. I agree with the consensus position that they are best when used with a custom equalization. I haven't found a preset on the iPod that works for me, but out of my tiny Creative flash player they e3c's sound pretty good.

For me the best thing about the e3c's fit and comfort. That was my main reason for trying them -- I found the e2c's too irritating to use regularly and the er6i's looked pretty similar, while the e3c's are much more slender with the soft, grey tips. I've been more than pleased in this respect -- comfortwise between the e2c's and e3c's is like night and day. So I think the e3c's are worth a shot, especially if you can return them if you're disappointed.

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 50
Thanks for your help guys!

They are on their way!

Best Regards,
Dan

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 50
I would avoid PCMALL if I were you, do some research about them at

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1868.html

I was going to buy from them, but they seemed to scam a few folks, and screwed over more people then im comfortable with.

I went ahead and got mine from Buy.com, but they also gave me a difficult time... then I checked their rating and they are just as bad. Good thing the package arrived today just in time for Christmas, after a few stern phone calls.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

I was going to buy from them, but they seemed to scam a few folks, and screwed over more people then im comfortable with.

I went ahead and got mine from Buy.com, but they also gave me a difficult time... then I checked their rating and they are just as bad. Good thing the package arrived today just in time for Christmas, after a few stern phone calls.

I've never had a problem with buy.com...

Countless transactions too..
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

Oh thats wonderful news to hear! What you just told me would have been much more helpful yesterday! AHH
basshead.gif

Well, I guess all that i can do is hope that everything will be alright.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 24, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 50
I just received my E3c's from PC Mall. First time I have ever purchased from them and it was a flawless transaction. Paid the extra 9 bux and change for overnight shipping and couldn't be happier.
280smile.gif

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back