Symphony X
Ice Age
Pantera
Damageplan
Black Label Society
Pain of Salvation
Keep of Kalessin
Exodus
Deep Purple... you name it, HD595 produce nice and clean bass. And they go well for gaming too. Really nice headphones for the price.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
They will work just fine. Some music I listen to:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Ice Age
Pantera
Damageplan
Black Label Society
Pain of Salvation
Keep of Kalessin
Exodus
Deep Purple... you name it, HD595 produce nice and clean bass. And they go well for gaming too. Really nice headphones for the price.

oh my god awesome!!! thanks!!

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
An amp will give you only *slight* improvement. The HD 595s are so efficient, that you might want to invest your money in something else, unless you want to join us freaks on head-fi.
lambda.gif

I respectfully disagree. Efficiency does not indicate a lack of improvement when amped and volume is not the only reason to add an amp. All of the my headphones are pretty efficient but for the 595s bass control, dynamics and soundstage all improve when amped. The same holds true for my 225s which are even more efficient.

YMMV and some amps may work better with certain headphones (Grados seem to be particularly current hungry from what I've read for example). I think there's a reason Headroom went through the effort to offer a balanced 595, despite the fact that it's more far more painful to recable than the 580/600/650.

EDIT: While I haven't heard a balanced 595 I hope to one day
biggrin.gif

Ant

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
They will work just fine. Some music I listen to:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Ice Age
Pantera
Damageplan
Black Label Society
Pain of Salvation
Keep of Kalessin
Exodus

Wow, get hold of some 'Ayreon', wonderous wonderous music. Opeth are pretty bloody excellent too.
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 38
from my point of view, 595s amped and unamped, are like night and day...out from my terratec space are quite acceptable, but from my aeron setup it's pure heaven (and it's not the best you can get).

Nov 24, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
I respectfully disagree. Efficiency does not indicate a lack of improvement when amped and volume is not the only reason to add an amp. All of the my headphones are pretty efficient but for the 595s bass control, dynamics and soundstage all improve when amped. The same holds true for my 225s which are even more efficient.

YMMV and some amps may work better with certain headphones (Grados seem to be particularly current hungry from what I've read for example). I think there's a reason Headroom went through the effort to offer a balanced 595, despite the fact that it's more far more painful to recable than the 580/600/650.

EDIT: While I haven't heard a balanced 595 I hope to one day
biggrin.gif

Ant

Of couse, the 595s benefit from amping. Which headphones wouldn't. But I'd dare say, they are among those headphones, that need the least amping to sound really good. BTW my HF-1s are a lot less effiecent then the Senns, at least in my experience. I think, MDM510 doesn't have to worry about an amp for starters.

Nov 24, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 38
I agree that the HD5X5 series benefit substantially from an amplifier. It is important to note that they sound great without an amplifier as well however.

The question now is...

... will you be able to wait until Christmas or are you going to explode from excitement before Christmas even gets here?
600smile.gif

You have a good reason to be excited.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #25 of 38
595s will be great with metal. They will also be pretty good with techno, though they will not give you that huge rattle-your-head bass that the 590s or the DT770s will. Still, they have enough bass, and it's nice and tight.

One issue: there are 2 versions of the 595, one has 120 ohms impedance and is the older version, and another has 50 ohms impedance and is a bit newer. Impedance is the measure of a device's resistance to current, and the higher the impedance in a headphone, the harder it is to drive. You'll want to make sure that what you're getting is the 50 ohm version. If it's the 120 - don't panic, you'll still be able to drive them just fine. However, down the line, you should get something like a PA2V2 or similar cheap amp, as it will help out a lot. These amps are <$100 so they won't break the bank. If you do have the 50 ohm version, then you don't need to bother with a cheap amp at all. I would suggest either a) running away from head-fi (listen to everyone who tells you this... they're right!!!) or b) getting a pretty good used amp somewhere in the $200-300 range that will enhance the headphones sonically a great deal.

In any case, these are probably the best cans at the $200 pricepoint that are currently in production. You should be happy - you're getting a good setup.

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
It has begun... mdm, believe all of us when we tell you to never visit this site again.

Nyeh c'mon, amps aren't too pricey these days
tongue.gif
. Something like a nice go-vibe and he's set...

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 38
thanks alot guys ur making me even excited to put those bad boys on my head!! WOOHOO!! please if anyone has the 595 http://www.raunchy.dk/mda.htm get one of those songs and tell me how it sounds, guitars,vocals,keyboards. thats my fav band and i really want to listen to that band and hear a diffrence! thx guys once again u rock!!

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

BTW my HF-1s are a lot less effiecent then the Senns, at least in my experience.

Interesting. It could be because I have 120 Ohm 595s, I haven't had a chance to compare the 225 to the 50 Ohm 595s.

Quote:

I think, MDM510 doesn't have to worry about an amp for starters.

Definitely agree, they sound good enough unamped that initially I wouldn't worry about it.

Ant

Nov 25, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 38
im new to the forum too, bought a pair of HD-595s and i have them amped through an XMOY amp. budget solution i know. amp is great but just 10 days after using the cans, the left channel started producing a rattling sound, more pronounced with bassy stuff. now i dont pump my bass up high. i keep it centered and most of the music ive been listening to never really had any heavy bass. did i just end up getting a bad pair?

i love the phones, but that rattling really disappointed me.

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #30 of 38
how much have you used them. I found the same thing after a few days of burn in with my 555s. I thought I had damaged one of the speakers but thankfully it went away. Dont know how dont know why but after another day of burn in I have not heard any more of the distortion that I had heard... Good luck to you mate hope you havent blown your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back