I'm feeling dumb...
Dec 21, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ludoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I know it's probably OT (actually it would be nice to hear from similar dumb moments you had in DIY), but I need to share this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got to work tonight on an old (1966) Grundig radio I bought as a present for my wife who loves them. I cleaned it up (it was in awful condition), replaced a busted cap which had leaked everywhere, and before preparing to replace the tuning string I wanted to test if it made any sound.

I connected it to a 9V PS, and... nothing. I spent half an hour tracing paths, and finally it dawned on me there's no speaker inside. I know it should be pretty obvious, but somehow I got to work fixated on finding and repairing the string and any electrical faults, and I never noticed the gaping hole.

Feel free to insult me.
smily_headphones1.gif
And maybe to suggest suitable replacements, in case the seller refuses to reimburse me. The radio is a Grundig Transistor 500, aka Music Boy 206.

56b9_2.JPG

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 11
You have any other junk stuff you could rob a small speaker from?
How big does it need to be?
Do you know from similar radios what impedance it needs to be?
You don't even want to know the stoopid things I've done working on stuff LOL.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have any other junk stuff you could rob a small speaker from?
How big does it need to be?
Do you know from similar radios what impedance it needs to be?

No, nothing I can strip of a speaker. But from what I read any >=2W 8ohm speaker should work ok. I will probably stop by a car audio store tomorrow and look for something cheap. Unless I get the urge to fit the only pair of SFI orthodynamic drivers I have still around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

You don't even want to know the stoopid things I've done working on stuff LOL.

Erm, actually it would be kind of interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 11
I worked on my Aikido for two hours (no sound)only to find out I had the rca's disconnected LOL.

I have two 4ohm 8watt speakers here I robbed from an iPod dock, they are 76.8mm diameter. Your welcome to them if they will work. Shipping is on me
biggrin.gif

Is that your dog in your avatar? I meant to ask you the other day and forgot.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I worked on my Aikido for two hours (no sound)only to find out I had the rca's disconnected LOL.

Thanks, it makes me feel better.
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially after scrapping and rebuilding a YAHA, only to notice I had a busted opamp in the first one.

Quote:

I have two 4ohm 8watt speakers here I robbed from an iPod dock, they are 76.8mm diameter. Your welcome to them if they will work. Shipping is on me
biggrin.gif

Thanks, but it would cost probably more than getting a car speaker here. But if I don't find anything suitable I will send you a PM.

Quote:

Is that your dog in your avatar? I meant to ask you the other day and forgot.

Yes, one of the two. A cross between a Siberian Husky and a Maremma Sheepdog.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 11
You should be able to find an adequate replacement at Parts Express, Mouser or Digikey. That's a very cool radio - I hope you get it working. Also, look into building a DIY shortwave antenna. You can do it under $10 and it'll do wonders for reception.

If you like radios, you might want to pick up an old "boatanchor" communications receiver. I love those things and they're fun to restore. Fortunately, NOS radio tubes are still reasonable. You'll be amazed at how good AM and the other bands sound on tubes.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Where will you get a car speaker, from a scrap-yard?
What about the dusty tube shop about a 10 minute walk away?

The dusty store will laugh in my face if I ask for a car audio speaker, like last time when I asked for TO-220 mounting hw.

I will check a couple of electronic stores, they usually have the cheap car audio brands.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to find an adequate replacement at Parts Express, Mouser or Digikey. That's a very cool radio - I hope you get it working. Also, look into building a DIY shortwave antenna. You can do it under $10 and it'll do wonders for reception.

Mouser, Digikey etc. charge a ton for shipping, unfortunately.
smily_headphones1.gif

The antenna is a great suggestion, I'll look into it.

Quote:

If you like radios, you might want to pick up an old "boatanchor" communications receiver. I love those things and they're fun to restore. Fortunately, NOS radio tubes are still reasonable. You'll be amazed at how good AM and the other bands sound on tubes.

My wife has a huge Grundig console from the late '50s/early '60s, with a turntable and radio, full of tubes, and it does indeed sound great. I confess I never opened it as it predates my fascination for audio DIY. And I recently discovered a stash of NOS radio/TV tubes in a local store, so there will probably be a few old radios in my future.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 11
No wonder it did not make any sound...
smile.gif

Sometime you don't see the obvious error right in front of you, cause you have you mind tuned into something different. So no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back