I'm fed up with Vista Wireless. Please help!
May 10, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an actual Belkin router user and it has been vastly superior to my experiences with Linksys or Netgear.

To each his own I suppose.
wink.gif

Sorry, im removing my foot from my mouth just now.

May 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think its one brand necessarily but certain models. First thing is download Network magic and have that analyze your network and see what you can figure out. Changing channels from the default is also a good ideal.

Well I've downloaded Network Magic but it hasn't found any problems with my connection, but then again I'm not having connectivity problems at the moment. I'll wait til I lose the connection and then run Network Magic again.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

May 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 32
I've heard several horror stories about Belkin routers, and some about the sort of issue you're describing. When the connection has apparently dropped, can you reach the router's configuration page?

May 11, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 32
Kick out Vista and get a "real" OS.
wink.gif

Seriously, my parents run Vista on their laptop and experience the same WLAN drop-outs as you do. I sucks

May 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 32
1 word, interference .....when i had roomates, we discovered that the Microwave would mess up the router since we had it in the kitchen (Main phone line came in there).

Once we figured it out we moved the router and boom np.

I think its something around you thats interfering with your router. It could also be the router itself.

I had a Belkin for like 10mins, i hooked it up, started up mIRC and boom router turned off. I repeated this 5 times in a row before i just gave up. I returned it for a Linksys and boom works fine.

From now im i would stick with the big names in routers...like Netgear or Linksys. Dlink and Belkin just dont see to be very friendly.

May 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 32
I'm using a Netgear router with Vista 32 bit and it works great. I paid $40 for the router at CC which is fairly new as is my HP laptop.

I was using a 2 year-old Linksys which was giving me similar problems as mentioned in this thread.

May 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #23 of 32
I have had similar problems with the connection dropping out randomly during gaming, which was solved by getting a new router.

I would just buy a new router and same-brand usb dongle, and try it out. If it doesn't work, then return it and scratch one possible factor off the list!

Most technicians simply swap parts until things work, and if it is a general software problem, they reinstall windows. Embrace the way of the tech!

May 11, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 32
I'd hazard a guess it might be interference.
Have you tried changing the channel number (on the router), it can make a dramatic difference.

May 12, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 32
I have exactly the same problem with my dell notebook (on win xp however). I managed to identify the cause of the problem, one of the programs I often use (Dassault CATIA) has a daemon that seems to mess with my connection. Don't know if you're in the same situation, but maybe you will notice that you have more disconnections when you use a specific program.

May 12, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Netgear router with Vista 32 bit and it works great. I paid $40 for the router at CC which is fairly new as is my HP laptop.

I was using a 2 year-old Linksys which was giving me similar problems as mentioned in this thread.

May I ask what model number you have?

I'd like to think I can rule out interference. This connection problem happens even when:

No tv on
no microwave on or within 30 feet of router or computer
no cellphones or cordless phone anywhere near
i don't live in an apartment complex

My computer's PCU runs on a 2.4GHz clock, which i believe is the same frequency as my netgear wireless card. Surely this isn't the problem???

May 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask what model number you have?

I'd like to think I can rule out interference. This connection problem happens even when:

No tv on
no microwave on or within 30 feet of router or computer
no cellphones or cordless phone anywhere near
i don't live in an apartment complex

My computer's PCU runs on a 2.4GHz clock, which i believe is the same frequency as my netgear wireless card. Surely this isn't the problem???

Your CPU frequency and your wireless frequency are 2 completely different and irrelevant things.

Have you given the Live CD a shot yet?

May 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you given the Live CD a shot yet?

Not yet. I just finished uninstalling the demo version of Network Magic, which wanted money before it would 'Diagnose and Repair' my connection
mad.gif

Also, it didn't seem to offer any additions with its diagnosing that Vista or my Netgear card didn't already offer.

May 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 32
I never went with wireless. It's easily intercepted/interfered with unless the proper decks, bulkheads and ceilings are in place.

May 13, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 32
did you try changing the channel number yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back