I'm fed up with Vista Wireless. Please help!
May 10, 2008 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Ampersand

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had wireless problems with my new Dell PC (Vista 32-bit) for almost 8 months now. I've replaced the wireless card, tried 2 different USB wireless adapters, and tried a dozen tricks I've found online, and still I have wirelss problems.

I'll just be browsing the internet when all of a sudden I lose the connection. But Windows seems to think its still connected (I still have the connection bubble) until i click 'Diagnose and Repair', at which point it tells me it can't connect with Microsoft blah blah blah.

I'm using a wireless connection to a Belkin router. I'm thinking of buying a new router that is DEFINITELY Vista compatible.

So, if you run Vista wirelessly, what router are you using?

May 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 32
I have a D-Link DGL-4300 and it i s flawless. If you want to go N, they have a newer model out called the DGL-4500. If you have a notebook I recommend using the built-in adapter of for a desktop I would get a nice PCI add-in card with an antenna and that sould do it. N really isnt necessary unless you are streaming media.

D-Link Wireless Home Networking

May 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure its Vista?

Are you using a microwave or cordless phone near the router. Are there neighbors using a router nearby on the same channel?

The gf has a laptop (running XP) that uses the same router with absolutely no problems whatsoever. That's why I suspect Vista. Both are Dell, by the way. And also, no microwaves or cordless phones anywhere near the router.

I've also tried the router in both secure, and non-secure modes. That doesn't fix the problem.

May 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure its Vista?

Are you using a microwave or cordless phone near the router. Are there neighbors using a router nearby on the same channel?

I live in an apartment, many networks near by. We have 5 cellphones between my wife and I and they are either next to the router or my laptop or in between the two. My notebook runs Vista 32bit and it is great. Also you may wanna try downloading a program called Network magic, you can use the trail version to setup your network and turns out I liked it so much I purchased it. It makes everthing much faster and ALOT easier than setting everything up manually.

May 10, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a [v good] netgear one,

and its much better than the bt one, which always played my vista laptop up, and another one which i used would constantly require me to reboot

Rebooting is the only way to corrrect my problem. I find myself rebooting a couple times every day
mad.gif

My current wireless card is netgear, so i may try to stay in the family for the router.

May 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in an apartment, many networks near by. We have 5 cellphones between my wife and I and they are either next to the router or my laptop or in between the two.

Routers that operate on the same frequency of the router, for example 2.4GHz, would pose significant problems. Microwaves also the same.

Cell phones won't interfere.

When a router is on the same channel, default is usually 6, as another router nearby it can cause connection problems and also for the host to drop signal. Rule of thumb is to have each router at least 3 channels away, but preferably 5.

May 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 32
May 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rebooting is the only way to corrrect my problem. I find myself rebooting a couple times every day
mad.gif

My current wireless card is netgear, so i may try to stay in the family for the router.

Why not try using a Linux Live CD to test out the connection? Ubuntu just released 8.04. Boot from the CD and test the wireless. At least you'll know if it's software related or if you have an actual hardware issue.

May 10, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never read anything positive about Belkin routers. Most of the time people will like a router or knock it because they dont have it set up correctly but Belkin never gets any positive press from actual users.

I'm an actual Belkin router user and it has been vastly superior to my experiences with Linksys or Netgear.

To each his own I suppose.
wink.gif

May 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 32
I use Vista with a Linksys WRT54G and a D-Link WBR-2310 (don't get the D-Link--it's a horrible router with intermittent connection), and they work fine. I had some problems a while back, but it was because of the firewall that I installed, so I did a system restore and it was fine.

Vista did have a problem a while back with DHCP errors.
Have you updated to Vista SP1 yet?

May 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

yeah, i had endless repairs and then reboots, its fickle to say the least now i have this one

NetGear DG834PN - Wireless ADSL Router - TrustedReviews

May 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 32
I dont think its one brand necessarily but certain models. First thing is download Network magic and have that analyze your network and see what you can figure out. Changing channels from the default is also a good ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back