I'm Done (Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition) VS GR06
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #304 of 408
Can you - or someone - please explain to me what "V-Shaped" or "U-Shaped" means? I don't understand that reference, though I see it here all the time.

Is there a Head-Fi Glossary of terms somewhere?

Thanks,

mrmonte

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #305 of 408
Quote:
Can you - or someone - please explain to me what "V-Shaped" or "U-Shaped" means? I don't understand that reference, though I see it here all the time.

Is there a Head-Fi Glossary of terms somewhere?

Thanks,

mrmonte

It's a reference to the shape of the frequency response plot (actual or perceived, depending on context).  Low frequencies are on the left of the x-axis, high frequencies are on the right, and the position on the y-axis indicates essentially the relative loudness.  Higher value means higher amplitude, or louder.  Hence something v-shaped has louder bass and treble than mids.  You can also think of a graphic equalizer set that way, as that's the impact on the frequency response that a v-shaped setting would have.

A glossary of terms is here, but frankly I think it has some issues:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Furthermore, I'm not convinced that all users use the same terms to mean the same things.  To be honest, many of them are alien to me as well, but my different backgrounds are more in music performance and engineering, rather than audiophilia and music production / mastering (which apparently do use all those words).

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #306 of 408
Quote:

It's a reference to the shape of the frequency response plot (actual or perceived, depending on context).  Low frequencies are on the left of the x-axis, high frequencies are on the right, and the position on the y-axis indicates essentially the relative loudness.  Higher value means higher amplitude, or louder.  Hence something v-shaped has louder bass and treble than mids.  You can also think of a graphic equalizer set that way, as that's the impact on the frequency response that a v-shaped setting would have.

A glossary of terms is here, but frankly I think it has some issues:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Furthermore, I'm not convinced that all users use the same terms to mean the same things.  To be honest, many of them are alien to me as well, but my different backgrounds are more in music performance and engineering, rather than audiophilia and music production / mastering (which apparently do use all those words).

I'm sorry, I have no doubt this is an excellent explanation, but I still don't quite understand it. I'll study it though, and I appreciate your putting in the time for such a thorough exposition. MM

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #307 of 408
I have some doubts about its excellence, but anyway, if you just want a functional description minus the background and context then the important part is:

v-shaped has louder bass [low frequencies] and treble [high frequencies] than mids [midrange frequencies, those between low and high]

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #308 of 408
Quote:
I have some doubts about its excellence, but anyway, if you just want a functional description minus the background and context then the important part is:

v-shaped has louder bass [low frequencies] and treble [high frequencies] than mids [midrange frequencies, those between low and high]

thanks...and in contrast, what would one expect from "U-Shaped?"

thanks in advance!

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #309 of 408
wow oh wow...I'm a big believer in burn in, to the point where I believe that those who question its value are the ones that need to make the case, rather than the other way around. I got these yesterday though, and gave them a short run-through last night. I have to say these are the BEST IEMs I've ever heard straight out of the box. I don't want to go into too much detail because I will go through the burn in process and report back, but it's a tight, aggressive sound, strong bass right out of the box, stunningly clear high end, and not an in your face vocal at all. Strong vocal, but not to the point that you need to turn the volume down or something. I want to add, I don't usually comment on things like packaging, but this is the best packaging I've ever seen,extremely well thought out, with just oodles of accessories and buds.

I can't wait to hear what the GR02 bass editions sound like after some burn in. Will report back. Wanted to just say, thanks to all who brought these to my attention! Really looking forward to getting them burned in and really giving them a few workouts.

MrMonte

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #310 of 408
Anyone try modifying their GR02 bass for better fit over the ear? I find it to fit a lot more snug now, kinda looks like the Visang R01.
P3zabqW.jpg

2dNh66F.jpg

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #311 of 408
Can anyone tell me if these are the most current variant of the GR02 Base Edition? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EM9KRI/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1N21TMFMGGLNO

Don't the Base Edition have a different color metal ring...kind of copper or brass colored?

Also, can anyone compare these to the Soundmagic E10? Which has more bass?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #312 of 408
Yes, the Bass Edition has a metal ring of copper colour.
The modification that comes with irony/silver color ring is called Balanced/Standart/Classic Edition (not to mix up with the latest Classical Edition, with poor bundle).
Soundmagic E10 has by far less bass, and I'm comparing to the Bass Edition, as I don't remember exactly the way the Balanced Edition sounds.
The bass on SM E10 is more sensitive to fit, because the stock eartips won't isolate as well as the ones from Vsonic.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #314 of 408
Quote:
One more thing. The link that OP provided, http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR02-ProII-Silver-Cable-Flagship-Edition-Low-Frequency-IEM-Earphone-/380376622782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589036a6be only has 6 eartips that come with it but the official site says there's supposed to be much more?

I got the 02 BEs based on this threat and there are a TON of tips included

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #315 of 408
I can't get the foam tip on for the life of me. I've been at it for like 2 hours and my thumb is starting to hurt from all the pushing. 

Ugh, the tip is way too small. Is it even made for this? It's impossible. I already tried flipping it inside out and same thing.

I'll try again when my fingers don't feel like falling off.

I finally managed to get the foam ones on. Any suggestions on which default tips are the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back