I'm confused about the Sennheiser Momentum On ear
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vickewire

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody!

I've had my eyes on these for some time and I'm thinking about buying them today since i have a good offer that expires today.

Yesterday I finally got the chance to try them in a store and now I am very confused. 

Everyone seems to LOVE them, both critics and consumers (I have read/watched a lot of reviews/forum posts). People say they are very bass heavy (which I prefer) and tight fitted.
The ones I tried in store were very sloppy and the cups slided VERY easy! The fit was very loose even though I have a normal sized head. The high tones also punched through very hard and sharp. (For reference, my previous headphones were AKG k518LE)

Do you think this pair might have been damaged since they were a demo pair? 

If I order them i have 14 days to try them and if I don't like them I can return them.

You who have them/tried them, is it worth ordering them and trying them out? Are you satisfied with yours? Why?

My offer expires in 8 hours so help and guidance is very appreciated :)

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 11
The good reviews are warranted. They are a very nice pair of hp's. Many demo units will get abused and damaged. I would let it put you off the purchase. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 11
The ones I tried in store were very sloppy and the cups slided VERY easy! The fit was very loose even though I have a normal sized head. The high tones also punched through very hard and sharp. (For reference, my previous headphones were AKG k518LE)

If you didn't get a good seal on them, then you won't get much/any bass, and the highs will be more pronounced.

Nothing fits quite as tight as the AK 518LE; those are regularly described as having comfort issues because they are so tight.. I've never tried the Momentums, but this is the first time I've heard anyone describe them as really loose.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 11
I think Matt has hit the nail on the head

I regularly have a listen to these in my local HMV store and over the last few months you can see how the condition has worsened. People put them on, have a listen then (likely) throw them back on the display - they certainly wouldn't be looked after as well as anybody would having purchased them

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey everybody!

I've had my eyes on these for some time and I'm thinking about buying them today since i have a good offer that expires today.

Yesterday I finally got the chance to try them in a store and now I am very confused. 

Everyone seems to LOVE them, both critics and consumers (I have read/watched a lot of reviews/forum posts). People say they are very bass heavy (which I prefer) and tight fitted.

Do you think this pair might have been damaged since they were a demo pair? 

If I order them i have 14 days to try them and if I don't like them I can return them.

You who have them/tried them, is it worth ordering them and trying them out? Are you satisfied with yours? Why?

My offer expires in 8 hours so help and guidance is very appreciated :)

They look good, are built well, and aren't too expensive, but the sound is $100 sound (which isn't THAT far off). They're unbalanced, and when you look at they're competition, they end up loosing. (1r, FC300, WS99, UE6000, etc).

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 11
They're unbalanced, and when you look at they're competition, they end up loosing. (1r, FC300, WS99, UE6000, etc).

Are you saying that they're losing to the MDR-1R's, FC300's, UE6000 etc. solely because the Momentum On-Ear don't have a frequency response curve as flat as those? Or is it more such as you believe that the soundstage, imaging and definition is poorer than the ones you mentioned?

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Are you saying that they're losing to the MDR-1R's, FC300's, UE6000 etc. solely because the Momentum On-Ear don't have a frequency response curve as flat as those? Or is it more such as you believe that the soundstage, imaging and definition is poorer than the ones you mentioned?

The cans I listed definitely aren't neutral. The Momentum on ear just goes a little overboard in the bass department. It gets to the point where it gets distracting, and it does begin to fight the mids. Technically, they aren't quite at the competition's level either (soundstage, detail, extension,midrange clarity, instrument separation). You should only get these really for the convenience.

Against the M80 (it's #1 competitor) the M80 wins but not by a large margin.

I'd skip them if you're mostly concerned about sound quality. The FC300 is my a veeery good headphone that should be considered.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for clarifying! I thought you were judging them based solely on their increased bass response.

In comparison with the M80, Head-Fi'ers seem to be split 50/50 between the two from what I've been reading , lol.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 11
The funny thing about the Momentums vs the M80/100 is that with Sennheiser the over-ear is a lot more neutral than the on-ear, and with VMODA it's the exact opposite. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't like them to be honest, after hearing people rave about the over-ear momentum I thought I was going to like them. I thought there was too much mid-bass and that the mid-range was too thin and distant. The highs could've used a bit more sparkle and been ever-so slightly less forward. It was mostly the mid-range that I dislike, vocals sound too cold and instruments that should be up front sound like I'm a few rows back. As previously stated, detail could be better but texture was all right. I think my favourite portable headphone I've owned so far was the ATH-M50, but I've heard and liked the Focal Spirit One and M-80 as well. In my opinion, these cans were completely hyped up by reviews after they got a negative response from many Head-Fiers on release. I'm not sure if it is riding on the Momentum name, or the Momentum over-ears are equally as bad (I sure hope not, considering the attention they've received).

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I'll say one thing about the Momentums: they feel so ridiculously cheap in the hands. And it's not "well demo units get beat up", every time I run into a pair at a store they're all loose fitting and rattly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back