I'm back to annoy you all! (I'm going to build an amp--for real this time)
Aug 15, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 69
Are these the locking Neutrick jacks that are panel-mounted via 4 screws in the corners of the face?
eek.gif

I wasn't sure if my craftsmanship could get the jack mounted cleanly on my case, so I went for the cheaper plastic Neutrick jacks that look like a black cylinder with 3 metal strips across it for the contacts. It holds onto the plug quite well.

If you don't like toggles, and you can make large holes in your case easily, go for the rocket switches. I used a small round rocker switch from Radio Shack for my latest amp to keep a sort of smooth and sleek look instead of having thin metal bats sticking out.

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:20 AM Post #17 of 69
Do you think Neutrik only makes one headphone jack?? I use alot of Neutrik stuff, just not those locking 4 screw mount BEASTS... so saying "neutrik jack" doesn't necessarily mean the one everyone's implying it is.

And don't help him. He's lying. He's just yanking our chains, AGAIN.
tongue.gif

>>his free amp mailing list

See what I mean? Somehow, SOMEHOW... he's already gotten a free cmoy amp... and he wants another... he's not into actually building one. He's not a constructor. He's not even a puzzle assembler, although I'm sure if he could get a KIT for $15.95 he'd much more likely to buy it. (only God knows if he'd ever assemble and case it, though)

He wants everything to be perfect! He wants to (supposedly) build ONE, just ONCE... and have it be perfect... El Primo Mundo... he's not willing to experiment and/or deal with tons of failures. That's why all these non-technical questions that he should be figuring out for himself...

Ner, bottom line: I'll believe it when I see it. Wait - NO - I'll believe it when I see the .avi of you at the bench actually soldering something.
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2001 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 69
Neruda, as a fellow newbie to this soldering thing, I'd recommend buying several volume pots. I made the mistake of neglecting the tin on my iron tip, and it stopped taking the solder. I didn't realize what the hell was going on until I mangled the leads on the pot and made iron "footprints" in the plastic. But then, I'm a *******. I wouldn't worry about the opas getting abused if you socket them. God, I've done stupid things with the wiring, and haven't fried any of mine yet.

Still looking for a drill,

zoboo.

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 69
I don't think the cost of the parts in a C-moy is that much, it's just like the startup costs that can be a killer. I think I've spent over $100 so far and all I have is a case with a pretty blue light on it. (I only built the power supply because I never got around to ordering the necessary op-amps). But that price included enough parts to build probably 2 or 3 amps (a lot of parts like resistors come in packs of 5 or 10, I'd also recommend that resistor variety pack mentioned in the article), a soldering iron, a cool pen-style multimeter, $25 for some cool drill bits
smily_headphones1.gif
, this cool vice-like thing with 2 alligator clips and a magnifying glass that I use to hold whatever it is I'm soldering (I got it at Radio Shack), and a few other fun things.

I think I just had fun buying all the parts and then got bored and never finished it. Once I complete one, I could make a bunch more really easily and cheaply. I want a dremel soo badly, but I also want the $90 one with like every attachment known to man on it, unfortunately, it didn't fit into the budget.

Aug 15, 2001 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 69
the total startup cost DOES go higher than the actual amp build cost

BUT !

If you ever DO actually build an amp you will be hooked,trust me on this

always fiddlin' around with things ,building stuff,upgrading

how this **** works

At THAT time the extra cash outlay starts showing big time returns

you need only buy this stuff one time

back to switches (you really think I let you off that easy ?)

for most of us it is the cosmetics that are the toughest to get right

we (at least I ) do not have machine shops in the attic

so we struggle along and do our best to make our projects look not so "DIY"

but you know what man ?

TINY ROUND HOLES ARE EASY

BIG round holes and SQUARE holes are a flat out bitch

so I ,in the full manner of trying to be helpful ,suggest using the "evil" toggle switch for your first amp

put it close to the output jack and the chances of accidently hitting it are slim (unless you are a fidget,always playing with **** like cords)

RICKASAURUSREX

PS-Jude man,where is my devil smiley ?

Aug 15, 2001 at 10:50 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
RICKASAURUSREX

PS-Jude man,where is my devil smiley ?

Rickceratops,

You find me a good one and it's as good as in. Believe it or not, I went to a few different sites looking for some evil smiley faces for you last night (if you know how many hours I worked, you'd realize why I found it hilarious that I was actually spending time looking for an evil smiley icon), but I came up empty-handed.

-- Jude --

Aug 15, 2001 at 11:17 PM Post #22 of 69
evil smiley's? like this?

evil.gif

veryveryevil.gif

and I'm sure we headphone geeks feel like this some times:
weird.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

lol.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Apheared
And don't help him. He's lying. He's just yanking our chains, AGAIN.
tongue.gif

Ner, bottom line: I'll believe it when I see it. Wait - NO - I'll believe it when I see the .avi of you at the bench actually soldering something.
tongue.gif

**** you apheared!
biggrin.gif
the sad thing is, it's true..

okay, rick, fine. I'll use the damn toggle. **** you too! (yeah, I'll be swearing a lot, try to ignore it.) This is getting downright embarrassing!
smily_headphones1.gif

right now I hardly even want to get a case for it (the one I have right now will probably be too big), I just need something to make my 401's get loud without distorting. I wonder how much power they can take...better not risk it.

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 69
rickeraptor,

You now have evil and very evil smileys -- look to the left when in an edit window.

Thanks Apheared and Braver for finding those for us. Why do I predict that the two biggest users of these two icons will be rick and Apheared?
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 69
The smirk looks just like a smile, there's just not enough resolution at 19x19..

Hey, swap out the bright yellow headphone smiley too... what was taken from HeadWize, which was taken from my personal directory... which doesn't match the vB faces. Now it does.

And HEY let's just crap all over Ner's post
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back