I'm an "IEM Guy"...Anybody Else?
Feb 14, 2007 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
In the last two and half months I've went through an incredible amount of headphones. I've tried everything from Grado SR-60 to Darth Beyers...and everything in between. I just can't find my sound. I realize some people say that you have to give it time to make a decision on whether you like a can or not. But I disaggree. I'm the type of person that makes decisions quickly and decisively. The only type of can I've found that I like are IEM's. I love that "in your head" sound.

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there that feels the same way as me?

It all started with Ety ER6i's, then I went to UM2's, and now I'm currently with the E500's (which I love). I'm also wondering where I should go next? Custom, perhaps? If so, which one? I love the sound of the E500's, but there could be more detail...but I don't want to lose the bass. I want a bass that hits so low that it rumbles my brain
basshead.gif

Are the UE-10's my next option?

I'm open to suggestions...

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 45
IEM's are to Headphones as Snowboarders are to Snow-Skiing
etysmile.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 45
I tend to go through phases... cans to IEMs to semi-isolating canalphones. Although my reference point always seems to be open cans. I like my D-jays IEMs when I need isolation.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 45
I thought I was an "IEM guy" too. Prior to that, I have brief listens of the various Beyers, the K701, K1000 and an MS2i (which turned out to be surprisingly neutral as compared to the rest of the Grado/Alessandro lineup). The K1000 were great, but I couldn't deal with the pressure they exerted on my temples. I even had the chance to listen to the Orpheus for a good half an hour. Truth be told, I didn't like it one bit. Since it was widely regarded to be the be-all-end-all, I thought I would never find a headphone that would replace my IEMs. I was so convinced that I went from the UM1 to UM2 and finally to the ES2 within a time span of 3 months.

But all that changed the day I discovered the Grado MS1. Having had the ES2 for a few months, I thought the MS1 lacked extension both ends and was less detailed. But heh the MS1 costs a mere 20% of what I paid for the ES2, I shouldn't be expecting too much from it. However, what was clear was that I have finally found my sound (in a headphone).

And thus began the usual Head-Fi horror story. I've since sold my Hornet, placed an order for the RS-1 with my local dealer, made arrangements to purchase a used Mapletree and is toying with the idea of a DAC as well.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 45
I was an IEM guy, until I got my first pair of really high quality cans... now, my IEMS simply cannot compare.

They're still great though.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was an IEM guy, until I got my first pair of really high quality cans... now, my IEMS simply cannot compare.

They're still great though.

curious... You're referring to the HD650 right?
Just curious, I always thought of you as the ER4 dude so I'm wondering what cans were the ones?

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 45
i rarely listen to headphones at home, so for my portable route (which would involve a lot of commuting), isolation was a concern of mine. I might as well bite the bullet and go custom. exceptional isolation and SQ.

i still can't believe i made the jump from JVC Marshmallows straight to Westone ES2s. talk about one end of the spectrum to the next.
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
curious... You're referring to the HD650 right?
Just curious, I always thought of you as the ER4 dude so I'm wondering what cans were the ones?

The HD650s, of course. I had a pair of SR-60s, but I thought the ER4s were better than those. But not the HD650s. They sound far more natural and have much better treble extension. String and brass instruments sound dry on the ER4s... but not with the HD650s, because they have enough extension to properly render all of the harmonics.

I'm sure others have had similar experiences with their IEMs vs. Full-size cans.

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 45
I don't have experience with many different IEMs so I can't vouch for quality of sound, but in terms of the pair I have now (er-6), I always found their sound to lack impact. Which I guess makes sense - a teeny tiny speaker just cannot physically make an impact. I like physical music, I like to feel it in my body. That can't happen with an IEM.

That being said, they totally have their place in any situation where I need something highly portable and isolating. Obviously, nothing else will do. Just for that I would say everyone needs a pair!

Unfortunately, some people's bodies are not very compatible with IEMs, my own included. I have an unruly combination of narrow, oddly curved ear canals and pervasive, slick earwax. I know that's kind of gross, but when we're talking about things being shoved into ears, matters are bound to get bodily. Neither kind of tips will work for long periods of time. Silicone or rubber tips eventually get very slick after a few hours, and will need cleaning every day for me, as they tend to slide out if they're a bit greasy, regardless of how well they are inserted (having worked in a high-noise environment for years, I'm an expert at inserting earplugs). The silicone also from time to time can simply irritate the skin, and truly hurt. On the other hand the foam tips work great for a few days, until they get soaked in nasty wax, after which they lose all their properties and need to be thrown out.
Yes, I know - gross.

I guess some folks are just not born to be IEM guys.
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperFnord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have experience with many different IEMs so I can't vouch for quality of sound, but in terms of the pair I have now (er-6), I always found their sound to lack impact. Which I guess makes sense - a teeny tiny speaker just cannot physically make an impact. I like physical music, I like to feel it in my body. That can't happen with an IEM.

That being said, they totally have their place in any situation where I need something highly portable and isolating. Obviously, nothing else will do. Just for that I would say everyone needs a pair!

Unfortunately, some people's bodies are not very compatible with IEMs, my own included. I have an unruly combination of narrow, oddly curved ear canals and pervasive, slick earwax. I know that's kind of gross, but when we're talking about things being shoved into ears, matters are bound to get bodily. Neither kind of tips will work for long periods of time. Silicone or rubber tips eventually get very slick after a few hours, and will need cleaning every day for me, as they tend to slide out if they're a bit greasy, regardless of how well they are inserted (having worked in a high-noise environment for years, I'm an expert at inserting earplugs). The silicone also from time to time can simply irritate the skin, and truly hurt. On the other hand the foam tips work great for a few days, until they get soaked in nasty wax, after which they lose all their properties and need to be thrown out.
Yes, I know - gross.

I guess some folks are just not born to be IEM guys.
frown.gif

Are ER6's the only IEM you've tried?

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 45
I like IEM's.

1-They are comfortable once your ears get used to them.

2-IEMs do not need to deal with driver enclosure reflections and resonance issues as much as full size headphones.

3-The new IEM's have good transient response due to low moving mass.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 45
IEM guy atm for above reasons given

With the student loan (
biggrin.gif
) for year 2 of my course, I plan to get a killer pair of full size cans and leave it at that until year 3 for customs
tongue.gif
(everything in my sig minus E4s paid for by loan)

Of course I have got some studying in as well as waste time browsing head-fi for the new purchases
tongue.gif

Uni in the UK really is win-win

Users who are viewing this thread

Back