I'm an American Citizen now
Feb 5, 2008 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, after 5 + years living here, and being married to my American wife, I finally had my Citizenship test today.

Aced the questions part.. all 10 were easy-peasy, and passed the written part - They had me write... "The children wanted a television. "

And so after a quick interview I'm approved.

Now I just need to wait for my pledge of allegiance and it's all sorted.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 56
Much congrats craiglester. Welcome.

[size=xx-small]Fingers cross this thread doesn't turn into a recent green-card thread repeat.[/size]

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 56
Congrats!

Where are you from originally?

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 56
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 56
Congrats & welcome!

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 56
"The children wanted a television." ...wha???!? That was the written test?

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 56
Congrats Craiglester!

I'm moving to the US in about 6 months for a job as a postdoctoral scientist at the University of Minnesota - I'm staying at least three years, and I bet that after I'm finished my postdoc I'll probably find a permanent job at another US University, in which case I'll apply to be a citizen too, provided I can retain my Canadian citizenship.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 56
good job. and welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

us_flag.jpg

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 56
Congrats! So, who're you going to vote for? J/K
biggrin.gif

I got my US citizenship in '87, just in time to participate in the '88 presidential election. Had my father passed the citizenship test in '86, I wouldn't have had to take it. But he didn't pass, and by the time he re-took it, I was 18 so I had to take it as well.

The sentence dictated to me was something about flying through blue sky or something like that.

The one interview question I remember being asked is what prompted the American Revolution? I went on about taxation without representation etc.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Craiglester!

I'm moving to the US in about 6 months for a job as a postdoctoral scientist at the University of Minnesota - I'm staying at least three years, and I bet that after I'm finished my postdoc I'll probably find a permanent job at another US University, in which case I'll apply to be a citizen too, provided I can retain my Canadian citizenship.

Let me know if you want to chat when you get here to Minnesota. There are some very good high end audio stores here in Minneapolis as well. One is about 3 miles from the U of M.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 56
Congrats and welcome, indeed! There seems to be a nice streak of these announcement threads of late. It must feel good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back