I'm addicted to these "toys"
Dec 15, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 29
Playing with dolls, yes... I'm sure scrypt will have a field day with this thread
wink.gif

Perhaps it is the guys I've worked with, but I have never seen such a complete level of equipment. Usually the people we meet bitch about gear they have vs the gear we have, although IMO they have enough to do what they need to do. The recent Rumsfeld 'gaffe' (and it is very much near common sense that it's just not practically feasible to properly armour all auxillary vehicles) brought to mind the further bitchings we encountered over our armoured Patrols.

Dec 15, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 29
Huh?! Well, hm, I guess we all have our, erm, quirks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Playing with dolls, yes... I'm sure scrypt will have a field day with this thread
wink.gif

Oh yes, please!
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 29
Lighten up, guys.

If you know anything about me, I design a lot of toys for a living for the major toy manufacturers.

I'm a toy nut and have alot. Not as many as I used to have, as my wife would kill me if I got obsessed in these uber GIJoes like I am obsessed with other hobbies.

I guess, as I design more and more toys, it jades me alittle.
But the nice thing is that every toy I buy is a tax deductible purchase for me.
wink.gif

I've been very good lately, I'm trying to keep my toy purchases small.

OK, maybe just one.........
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Lighten up, guys.

If you know anything about me, I design a lot of toys for a living for the major toy manufacturers.

wow.. cool job! any spawn figures discount?
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 29
Wow, those action figures have such incredible detail. A long way from what I grew up with, but then again vintage action figures in good condition are also worth money.

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
wow.. cool job! any spawn figures discount?
evil_smiley.gif

I haven't done any work for McFarlane Toys, Inc. yet.
wink.gif
I did design some Batman action figures for Hasbro that were supposed to compete with McFarlane Toys, but they couldn't quite match the level of quality. They can't meet McFarlane's margins.

And I do consulting work, so I am not an employee of these companies. And it's a sad fact that toy designers that are employees have a more difficult time getting their own company's toys. (unless they're engineering samples, but those are "confidential".) It's easier to use the corporate card to buy them from the toy store or to by competitor's toys for "research". They often buy their own toys from the toy store.

Of course, Mattel does have an employee toy store where they can buy them at a discount.

-Ed

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #27 of 29
Are these "toys" intended for children? I can't imagine that a parent would allow a child to play with a action figure featuring weapons,especially knives and small items like the grenades and shells.

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #28 of 29
for what reason?

because they are small and can be swallowed, or for a more politically correct reason?

i played with all the guns, knives, grenades i wanted to and ive never shot, stabbed, or blew anyone up...

political correctness sucks....

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonmach
Are these "toys" intended for children? I can't imagine that a parent would allow a child to play with a action figure featuring weapons,especially knives and small items like the grenades and shells.

You mean the ones that Tuberoller posted?

No they are not really Toys, they are just meant to collect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back