Im a n00b with headphones and need recomendations.
Dec 23, 2011 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sebastianq28

New Head-Fier
so i was looking to buy some headphones. I have a pretty tight budget the max i can pay is $200.00 but i was aiming for $150.00 .  i wanted some headphones that had plenty of bass. i listen to rap r&b and hip-hop. sometimes house. obviously i don't want the bass to overpower the mids and highs like in the skull-crushers. i was recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. i read some reviews and many people said they were "Flat" does this mean the bass isn't good? again i want good all around headphone but really good bass is a MUST! any help is appreciated thanks.

oh and as u can probably tell i don't know much about the technical details so explain in lay mans terms! 

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 21
The M50 is one of the most-heralded cans on Head-Fi, and it does suit your music preferences well. However, for what you're looking for and considering price hikes on the M50 in the past year or so, the other headphones listed would be a better deal.

Sincerely,

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 21
HFi 580 imo.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 21
Denon AH-D1100, closed, very bassy.
Price is $107 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 21
I don't mean to sound attacky, but PurpleAngel, do you happen to work for the website you're directing to? On almost every newbie thread I see that same post.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I don't mean to sound attacky, but PurpleAngel, do you happen to work for the website you're directing to? On almost every newbie thread I see that same post.

I did order a Yamaha RX-V667 from Electronics Expo 2 weeks ago, they ended up sending me a RX-V671, a better receiver, for the price of the RX-V667, lucky me.
That is the only contact I've ever had with Electronics Expo, they are 3000 miles from were I live.

I use the website Bountii for finding the best price on stuff, Bountii usually has the codes for the best discounts on stuff.
Electronics Expo usually has the best prices on a lot of stuff, after using the BOUNTII coupon code.

Go to the bountii website, check for the best prices on the HD-558 and Denon AH-D1100,
You will see that Electronics Expo has the lowest prices on those two headphones in the whole U.S. of A.

I like finding the lowest prices or best bang for the buck stuff for my fellow Head-Fiers.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 21
In case you are unsure. the 780's are not "superior" it's a misconsceptio amongst new head fi'ers that just bc an item is higher in the series that it's better. some prefer the Sennheiser 650 over the 800's and what not. it's all about what it does. the HFI 780's have less bass(still good amount and tight) and have better highs. not for you, but i know you were going to wonder. It also uses S-Logic tech. i was afraid of what it was at first. don't be.

The M50's are also moving down the list a lot these days. it seems the new batches are not as preferable, but if you read a review on the HFI 580's and ATH M50's (there's like 3 on headfi) the HFI 580's always win. 

I vote HFI 580, the 780's are good, but are shorter on the bass and are more expensive

the HFI 580 is $118 on BH. they are easy to drive, but i feel the need to want more sometimes(a lot) i would recommend using the money on an FiiO E6 ($25)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back