I'm a man who likes big cans, I'm looking into my first set of "REAL" IEM's Help?
Apr 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat
Every time I've thought of buying a set of >$100 IEM's I stopped because I feared I would snag them on something and BAM I'm out $200, when 200$ cans would've taken the hit, or at least been repairable. But it's time for me to bite the bullet. I have owned the Etymotic Research ER-6's (not the 6i's) unfortunately I accidentally threw them out (another reason I'm not too hot on IEM's) That's it for any considerable iem's. I own Zagg Zbuds, Iskin cerulean X1's and MadCatz airdrive's.
I was thinking of buying Etymotic Research ER-4s's (I like my music accurate) and sometime down the line having custom molded tips made for them, (I dont like those custom IEMs cause if they die the whole things are toast, this way if the ER-4s eat it I can use the tips on another set)
any suggestions? I'm most likely NOT going to spend over 300$ when I buy a set (there are a few things in line ahead of them
wink.gif
among them a Lisa III amp and HD800 cans, and possibly a pair of Grado RS-1's) I plan on buying an amp suited for the iem's most likely a Headstage Arrow (please don't mention the pico slim, I've read enough about it, I'd rather have an arrow)
Any suggestions?

ALSO WONDERING: Does anyone here own the Westone ES3x's? How much did they run you? Are yours acrylic?
Thank you!
Brandon

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 20
Alternative Rock, Classical (Especially Opera!), Electronic, Industrial, Trip-hop (sneaker pimps for example) some Reggae, Some old people stuff like Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Carly Simon, etc.
You can check out my Last.fm profile for all my artists My username is BattleBrat

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm not really an IEM guy and I certainly don't have the experience of many portable users. OK, now that I've demonstrated that I'm no expert I would like to suggest the Shure SE530 (non PTH). Perfect? no. But they are a nice all round IEM. I also realize that I'm going to come across as a fanboi, but I stopped looking for IEMs once i got the 530s.

I really like classic rock, alternative rock, metal, classical, accoustic, jazz and vocals from the 530s. I seldom listen to opera but the little I've heard with the Shures has been very good. Mid range is where it's at for the SE530. Mid range is where it's at for me. If I were to compare them to their big brothers, it would be the HD650. If you like the Senns then you're likely to like the Shures.

You'll get a lot of advice and not everyone would agree with my assessment. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 20
Hmmmm, those shure's are $250... a little too close to my limit for starter IEM's, Thank you for your suggestion, I'll start looking for a pair to demo before I'd consider purchasing

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasto_Brandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I've thought of buying a set of >$100 IEM's I stopped because I feared I would snag them on something and BAM I'm out $200, when 200$ cans would've taken the hit, or at least been repairable. But it's time for me to bite the bullet.

I've been debating on starting a thread just like this. This is what my biggest fear is. My friends have made comments I destroy IEMs. And I've been eyeballing the eQ7 myself.

How does everyone take care of their expensive IEMs like the JH13 Pro's for example?

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been debating on starting a thread just like this. This is what my biggest fear is. My friends have made comments I destroy IEMs. And I've been eyeballing the eQ7 myself.

How does everyone take care of their expensive IEMs like the JH13 Pro's for example?

Well JH13s have replaceable cables so if you damage that they won't suffer an early death.

@OP: I recommend something like the HJE900. Solid price, features, reviews, and detachable cables. Or you might look at the RE0 for a bit less, but the dynamic range will feel somewhat reduced without a nice amp. Both are pretty accurate (especially the RE0). The ER4 without an amp can be a bit bass light for an IEM, which is much different than being bass light for a full size set of cans.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 20
ATH-CK10, GR8, E-Q7, MTP Copper and JVC FX700..........

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 20
Did you like your ER6's? If you do, go for the ER4

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well JH13s have replaceable cables so if you damage that they won't suffer an early death.

Really? That's awesome, now I'm seriously tempted. I just have to get over the creepy feeling I get that a company has a mold of all these ears
ph34r.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoonf144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you like your ER6's? If you do, go for the ER4

that's my current thought, but the permanently attached cord bugs me, I'll email them and ask if it is replaceable if damaged (so I'm not out $175 if the cord eats it, I had 2 pairs of ER-6's one pair the cord ate it) Ahh screw it I'll get 'em
But-
I'll look into the shure's and the fisher's too... those HJE900's are a little too blingy for me (I don't like diamonds, fake or otherwise, I'm an emerald man
cool.gif
)
I'm still open to more suggestions, I'm open to customs, any affordable ones so I can try them out without killing my wallet, I don't mind killing my wallet, just as long as I get what I want, and in this case I want to try something affordable before I go for the high end stuff.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 20
I'll kick in that Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10's have replaceable cables. I'm saving up for those as I like my Superfi 3's so much and they seem so rugged with their thick cable I figure the 10's will be just as rugged.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 20
How much are the Superfi 3's?

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasto_Brandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's my current thought, but the permanently attached cord bugs me, I'll email them and ask if it is replaceable if damaged (so I'm not out $175 if the cord eats it, I had 2 pairs of ER-6's one pair the cord ate it) Ahh screw it I'll get 'em
But-
I'll look into the shure's and the fisher's too... those HJE900's are a little too blingy for me (I don't like diamonds, fake or otherwise, I'm an emerald man
cool.gif
)
I'm still open to more suggestions, I'm open to customs, any affordable ones so I can try them out without killing my wallet, I don't mind killing my wallet, just as long as I get what I want, and in this case I want to try something affordable before I go for the high end stuff.

ER 4 cable is replaceable.
ER 4,Westone 2 , Westone 3 cable is the best in this price range. There is no better. It is soft enough and highly reliable.

If you looking for bass don't take ER4. It have no more bass than ER6i.

Westone 3 , UE Triple Fi 10 bass is strong ,deep and detailed. It is one of the best IEMs today that have WOW sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back