IM-716/HD 650...To IEM or not to IEM
Jun 3, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sb61g2

New Head-Fier
Is it wrong of me to be debating whether or not to keep my HD 650s? Am I crazy to even consider the IM-716s preferable to them impossibly open, hulking Sennheisers?

I just emptied my wallet on a used HD 650, after having had the 716s for around a month. Sure, the bass response pales in comparison no mater how well they're inserted, and in no way reaches as low as the 650s, but for some reason I find myself wondering if I should keep the Sennheisers.

I guess I might just prefer the "in-your-face" presentation of the IEMs, (is that even possible?) to the more laid back, "out in the balcony" point of view of the HD650s.

The IM-716s also offer crazy good isolation, and (probably mostly because of that fact) reveal every single little blip of sound spanning every border of the fequency range that I can possibly take in. I'm a little bashful when it comes to my music, so the remarkably "closed" properties of the IEMs are also fairly compelling.

I listen to a lot of post-rock, (explosions in the sky, godspeed you black emperor type stuff), and I do find that the IEMs are sometimes unbearably bright. I'm getting a PA2V2 today; would it possibly help bring the IM716s <i>anywhere</i> near the darkness of the 650s? I know the cheap little amp's notorious for adding a bit of dark "coloring" to most phones.

I guess my main question is, am I going to regret having let go of the 650s sometime later on, when I've had an opportuity to "grow" as a critical listener? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated; I really don't know what to do.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Yah, I find myself reaching for my iM716s more than any of my other equipment.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 14
Why even consider selling anything until after you've received your amp and burned it for a couple of weeks. It will have a serious impact on both the 650's and the 716's - both are good. Maybe you're more of a Beyer dt770/80 guy than a Senn. person. Wait and see.
I have a pair of 716's and cannot relate to your remark re brightness. Actually, they are not as "bright" as er-6i and have very good clarity. The bass is quite good and gains substantially, when amped.......what you're presently hearing suggests perhaps a tweak downward with the volume controls would be helpful. Further, you didn't mention which tips you use with the 716's - foamies will also edge their sound that may make them even more pleasing to you. Comply foamies fit them (as do Shure softflex tips).

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 14
amp came today; i will definitely give it a try. I use the foamies, and have purchased a set of complys per your recommendation; (the included ones lost their elasticity quickly.)

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sb61g2
Is it wrong of me to be debating whether or not to keep my HD 650s?

Nope!!

Quote:

Am I crazy to even consider the IM-716s preferable to them impossibly open, hulking Sennheisers?

Yes you are
eek.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well, you asked......

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Well. Those are two QUITE different cans...

Comparing a 500 dollar full, open can to a 70 dollar IEM. I kinda took the same route you did...

I had a pair of AD700s which I loved. I never got to use them outside the home though, since they were huge and they were open. When my stockbuds broke, I didn't have any other cheapo cans to listen to music portably and it was killing me. Finally I made an executive decision to get rid of my AD700s and get something good for portable. It was a pretty bold move since only two weeks before I had sold a great 100-300 lens I had for 700 dollars to get some macro gear...but that's photography who cares about that. Anyway I went for the the E4's and I'm not looking back.

However I don't know...the Senns and the Altecs have very different sound signatures - unlike my situation in which the E4s and the AudioTechnicas had similar sound. The Senns are very laid back and warm...whereas the Altecs are quite agressive and forward sounding, with very emphasized and crisp trebles.

But it looks like you already got them so hahaha. Have fun with them!

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
Well. Those are two QUITE different cans...

Comparing a 500 dollar full, open can to a 70 dollar IEM. I kinda took the same route you did...

I'm sure it was more for dramatic effect by listing the MSRP of the HD650, but if anyone is still paying $500, even $400 for a new pair, he/she is a total doofus.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
I'm sure it was more for dramatic effect by listing the MSRP of the HD650, but if anyone is still paying $500, even $400 for a new pair, he/she is a total doofus.

Ehh, I was just looking at HeadRoom for a price reference. I actually have no idea what street price is anyway.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 14
arghh...after hearing both back and forth endlessly until my ears were irritated beyond belief from the insertion and reinsertion of the IEMs, i'm downright stumped.

I understand that they're two entirely different beasts, and the 650s have an obviously darker, almost gentle tone to them. In comparison, the 716s, and probably all IEMs have a nearly "tinny" sound to them. I was convinced I needed to get rid of the 650s as quickly as possible, to prevent further change of heart, and I was right. Had I never heard them, I'd definitely feel no need to get them, but now I'm screwed.

The 716s still have this quality that draws me to them. I guess it becomes a question of how much loss of quality is it worth for the sheer convenience and portability?

Maybe I'm just not the right kind of person to truly appreciate a high-end, expensive phone. I'm guessing any true "discriminating listener" would immidately sacrifice convenience for sound.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Maybe I'm just not the right kind of person to truly appreciate a high-end, expensive phone. I'm guessing any true "discriminating listener" would immidately sacrifice convenience for sound.

Nah, not at all. Just because one well regarded around here phone isnt your cup of tea doesnt mean you are off somehow. Id bet nearly everyone here whos tried a good portion of the upper range of phones has one (or more) that they dont care for and would rank below a non high end phone that is more in tune with their tastes.
Its an individual journey for us all. Maybe youre a Grado'er or a Senn'er or an AT'er or AKG'er or any other 'er thats out there. You just gotta find what suits you best and go with it.
My guess is you need to find something with more in step with the signature of the iM716 than the Senns. VERY different sound as many have stated. My thoughts would be head towards the mid fi Grado territory. (since its opposite of the Senns to a lot of people) If it fits, stick with it. If not, try to dial in where in between those two your ears are.
Dont ever blame yourself for not liking a particular can. Think of them like people. There are plenty of fantastic ones out there, many you wont get along with. Find the one (or few, or many :p) who make you happy and dont fret about the rest.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Consider listening to the 650 for a week or 2 exclusively. Then try the 716 to see how they compare.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, it is all a matter of taste.. you can't force yourself to like a certain headphone, and if you do it is going to be horrible.. If you like the sound signature of a certain brand over others, then maybe you should try to center around it, like stmpjmp said.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 14
Trying to A/B IEM's is a futile exercize....which you learned. It doesn't matter if it's IEM against IEM or IEM against headphone.......it is the wear and tear you experienced and the memory loss that occurs in the process of
the re-insertions. You seem to have begun to distrust yourself because of the low cost of the iM716's - not correct. It is a different type of sound from the Senns. Perhaps one could posit it as being more Alessandro-esque than anything related to Senn.. Frankly, I've not been a Senn. HD6xx lover - the only ones I have are HME25-1...........anyway as the days go foreward, you will naturally find yourself gravitating towards one pair, and at times wishing to try a specific recording(s) with another pair.......thru this experimentation a pattern of preference will become obvious - that is when you decide to either keep a pair or part company with them.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
... I have a pair of 716's and cannot relate to your remark re brightness. Actually, they are not as "bright" as er-6i and have very good clarity. The bass is quite good .......

I agree with BushGuy.

It doesn't sound like you're getting an optimal fit with these. The sound sig of an imperfect fit with these is a skewed spectrum, as you observe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back