Illegal downloading?
May 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

venomousbeavers

New Head-Fier
I hope this isn't considered "illegal downloading" discussion and I get the boot.

Nina Nastasia's new label, Fat Cat is located in the UK.  I received notification that if I pre-ordered the new album through iTunes, there was a bonus track included.  Click on the link to pre-order and iTunes spits out a message that this album is only available to those with UK accounts.  I did some Google-ing and there's a work-around where it may be possible to buy UK iTunes gift cards to purchase from the UK iTunes store whilst in another country.

Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?  Is Steve Jobs going to raid my house and steal my computer?

Any other suggestions for buying music from the UK would be appreciated.

The obvious answer would be to just wait until the album is released in the US where I wouldn't end up paying twice the price, but where's the fun in that?

May 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 8
i haven't tried this, but...

go to the bottom of the itunes store main page.  you'll see a link for "change country".

then go to the UK store, and buy the album.  if it works the way i think it would...

May 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
i haven't tried this, but...

go to the bottom of the itunes store main page.  you'll see a link for "change country".

then go to the UK store, and buy the album.  if it works the way i think it would...

That was the first thing I tried.

You need to be signed in to an account to buy anything.  It knows what country you're account is from.   I've also heard that I might be able to just find the address from some random Starbucks in the UK and create a new account.  Haven't t tried that yet.

May 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 8
The problem with making a new UK account is that as far as I know, only one account's (legal) music can be synced to an iPod. Apple doesn't want you going over to your friend's house and getting all of his music for free!

P.S. I could be wrong

P.S.S. This Nina might not be too bad... Kind of Simon and Garfunkel-y

May 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
erm why not just buy the CD?

OP says he's too impatient for it to reach the States, where he won't have to pay twice the amount he would now to import it to the UK.

And I think he also wants that iTunes-exclusive bonus track, for whatever reason.

May 22, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Any other suggestions for buying music from the UK would be appreciated.

The obvious answer would be to just wait until the album is released in the US where I wouldn't end up paying twice the price, but where's the fun in that?

As has already been mentioned, buying the CD would be a practical alternative. There is nothing preventing you from ordering CDs from the UK. In fact, I buy nearly all of my CDs from various UK-based shops since the cost is nearly always substantially lower (given the favorable £ - € exchange rate) than buying locally, and mailing costs within the EU are quite cheap. I have ordered lots of music for friends and family in the USA from the UK as well, but the mailing costs in that scenario are scandalous, and delivery times have extended up to about 6 weeks, whereas it takes only about 3-4 business days to get CDs to my mailbox here in Finland.

Unless you really must have the bonus track from the iTunes Store, I don't see why you don't pre-order the CD from a UK-based merchant such as HMV (release date June 6, price only £7.99 + scandalous shipping) or just wait until June 22 when it's set to be released in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back