iHP 120 review by a former iPod owner
Nov 18, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 25
A lot depends on what an individual is looking for. I don't generally use playlists, so it never bothered me before the iPod added on-the-fly, and the iHP lack of playlists wouldn't bother me either.

Someone mentioned the 1700+ playlist. I have a friend who maintains playlists like that. It's actually quite artistic how he sorts his music so that in his mind it flows from one song to another. I wouldn't have the patience!

A well-arranged album is my playlist
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 25
If there was one thing I missed from the iHP it was the ability to que up songs while listening as GSTOM mentioned. My original creative jukebox had this feature and it was excellent. I prefer this play method over creating playlists that are saved because those playlists get old real fast. My 2nd Gen iPod also lacked this feature. Does the 3G Ipod have this now? (Is this what on-the-fly playlist means?) Well, by the time I got my iHP I learned to live without it. But I do miss it and hope it gets implemented.

Erm...the iHP is not missing a shuffle option. It does have several. It does not however shuffle within playlists. Shuffling a Genre is possible but it involves workarounds. I set my directory (file folders) as such.

ROOT (main folder)
-Genre (under root folder)
-Artist (inside genre folder)
-Song Title (inside artist folder)

Therefore, you must not use the Genre option but rather the File Navi option in order to shuffle by Genre. Of course if you aren't a neat freak like me, then it won't work.

Remember the iHP didn't even debut with a playlist option period! This initially pissed me off but atleast they added that quickly in their next release. I expect to see more options to playlist added since this is iRiver's grand daddy player and to not have these things on the iHP when their flash player does just doesn't make sense.

Crossfading is unlikely as I do not see owners heavily requesting this feature. Another feature I requested in the next firmware is the ability to manage tracks within the player itself (delete).

For all the people wishing the iHP will quench every desire, think again and keep dreaming. I've said this from day one. They are all unique and different. (Case in point: the iPod is a menu driven based player; the iHP is a button driven based player). It still boggles my mind people debate over players by stating "xxx is better than yyy b/c it's simpler." Frankly, I'm gettin tired of reading this vs. this posts. No player is better than the rest period. Each player on the market right now has their advantages and disadvantages.

Having trouble deciding? What are your preferences? Which one suits your preferences? Choose it, Test it, like it, buy it. Don't like it, try again. It's not that hard. Good Luck out there.

Nov 18, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 25
nice...nice find on this review...
i like this guy a lot, he is very open-minded and willing to try out now things..
Quote:

But clearly, the iHP-120 is no ipod killer. It might be formidable competition at some point, but right now I'd say the iHP-120 is more like the ipod's annoying little brother that keeps showing up where he isn't wanted.

well said, well said

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 25
I say iPod Design(with stronger casing) + iHp hardware(line out, line in, etc...Not controls)+Zen Sound, replaceable battery +iTunes like integration software+support for all codecs=Market Successor!

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #21 of 25
I actually like the SQ of my iPod better then my Zen...I can hear hissing with my Zen + e1c's, hissing that is not present when I listen on my iPod.

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by carlin
I say iPod Design(with stronger casing)

I think the iPod has an incredibly durable casing compared to other players. It just scratches very easily if you don't take care of it. I wish they would just go for a brushed metal back and a frosted front -- shiny isn't always sexy, particularly when it easily gets a permanent "shiner" if you drop it!

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #23 of 25
ya, I kinda like the look of it now, and I really dont like brushed steel. I have an Skin case I have put on it the second I got it out of the box and it has no scratches, and it looks cool through the clear silicone.

BTW: I like the sound quality of the iPod better also, but I was trying to please some other people
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #24 of 25
i must be the opposite of everyone here. i like it when my programs and software DONT integrate themselves into everything. i would prefer bugs when i'm given total control. the point is that i look at the comparisons and always think "this guy's an idiot". but i've noticed i do that with everyone's, so it must just be me.

but i love my ihp-120, so i'm good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by e-r0ck
i must be the opposite of everyone here. i like it when my programs and software DONT integrate themselves into everything. i would prefer bugs when i'm given total control. the point is that i look at the comparisons and always think "this guy's an idiot". but i've noticed i do that with everyone's, so it must just be me.

but i love my ihp-120, so i'm good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Integration is great if it's implemented well and doesn't hinder your ability to do whatever it is you want to do...in the case of the iPod and iTunes, anything you could possibly want to do, is done effortlessly, no opening folders and copying / pasting...no need to be worried about if changes you've made on your desktop have all been copied to your portable. I was once like you...I prefered that my players mounted as a hard-drive...but ever since i started using J River Media center, then moved on to iTunes...I've seen the power of the "dark side".

Programs that are GOOD at managing media files do it far better and more efficently then people could ever hope to...that being said...the poorly coded ones out there (Playcenter...musicmatch...) make doing what you want so hellishly annoying that at times I've wanted to throw my portable out the window. e-r0ck...do you have much experience with using an iPod and iTunes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back