IHP-120 bass roll-off?
Nov 17, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 21
Hey...that micro-mini looks pretty sweet man. When are you planning on purchasing it ? I'd like to know what you think of it after some usage. I ordinarily wouldn't use an amp for portable use, but that thing might just be small enough to not be a nuisance. I originally was going to have one of the Head-Fi members build me a super-mini, but other items were first in line and I couldn't justify the need for it at the time. But this thing is designed quite well and might just deserve some attention.

Now the question is...who here @Head-Fi can reproduce this item ? Better to keep the cash revolving in the house ya know ? And a better idea for the clip would be to have some sort of screw hole in the middle so that the gator clip or whatever, could be adjusted. The "super glue" idea @fixup.net isn't that cool...Just seems like a cheesy end to a great item.

Nov 17, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 21
I've already ordered it, and it's already sent according to Xin. But the postal service and customs can be quite slow sometimes. Especially when I live in Norway
rolleyes.gif

I'll be glad to post impressions when I recieve it.

Nov 17, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I have a question for you guys (people) who use amps. How the heck do you deal with all the bulk/wires ? I go crazy enough just trying to situate the headphone and remote wires as it is ! I'm a bit of a neat freak, and hate having any wires exposed and usually go to great lengths to keep them out of site/tucked away, while still allowing for maximum efficiency.

it's always a challenge, but what is the point if you can't spend time working on your portable rig?

i keep my portable amp(s) (meta42 or cha47) in my backpack, along with my player(s) (d777, r50, d3 walkman--all of which have a line out), and usually use my ety er-6 (see link in my sig).

i also usually clip the remote to the heaphone cord, which unless you use the earhugger mod, would probably not work with stock ety's. if you do not like the two cords coming out of your pack, you can usually twist them around eachother and secure them with a bit of velcro.

for cord management, if there is extra cord in my backpack, there is an inner pocket i can coil it up in. just think about it, be inventive and you can manage even a large amp like the meta42 as a portable. the only negative is i have to unzip the backpack pocket to change the volume/power button for the amp. no big deal, though. that's why the pack has zippers.

i can't imagine leaving the house without my amp! i can't go back to just a headphone out!
cool.gif

(actually, if i just want to stick a player in my pocket and go, the mz-r70 + er-6 is a great match.)

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
The only way to get full resolution from the line-out should be with the volume set to max. This way it's indeed a true line-out without additional amplification stage -- the impact from volume and EQ settings is based on the fact that these sound effects are done in the digital domain. If I remember correctly that's what has been stated by iRiver.

peacesign.gif

Glad to see someone else who sees it the same way. iRiver products have always seemed to be bashed for not having a true line out.. I've stated this point many times, but always went unnoticed. If the volume is attenuated digitally, why does it matter, right?

As for the bass roll-off.. I would also suspect that it is the bass boost at lower volumes, rather than the bass roll-off at max.

[edit: Also.. it could likely be your amp.]

Nov 18, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #20 of 21
I confirmed this while testing out my friends iHP-120. Above about two thirds of max volume, the bass is cut. The iHP-120 ignores bass settings on the EQ
frown.gif
I think this is a cheap shot to prevent the mp3 player from distorting at higher volumes because its power output leaves a bit to be desired
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 21
re the bass boost issue...I'm just taking a shot in the dark but it probably works a bit like setting the sub level on my Klipsch promedia 5.1's...the max volume of the system, is 80, not dB...although each number represents 1dB increases...at 80 the system is much louder then 80. Anyhow, the max dB output of the system never gets higher then 80...that is...if you have your max system set to 70, the most you can do is +10 to the sub...in this case, it's to keep the sub from literally destroying it's self. If you had the sub at +15
basshead.gif
as soon as the volume reaches 66, the sub levels begin going down, if you return to 65 or below...the sub levels also go back to where they were.

Fortunatly...my pm5.1's have more then enough bass at 0, and I've never had to run them any louder then 70...so this has never been an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back