IHP-120 bass roll-off?
Nov 16, 2003 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

master83

Head-Fier
Hi!

I've had the IHP-120 for a couple of days and have been experimenting on how to get it to sound best with my amp. I've read that with the volume turned way up(to 40) the line out should function as a true line out, so I tried this and connected my amp, and setting the volume on my amp to listening level. Now I noticed that there was way more treble than bass, making the music unbearable to listen to. Now if I turn the volume down on the IHP-120 to about 32-33 i can turn the volume of my amplifier up, getting both bass, mids and highs in a perfectly balanced relation to each others. Anyone else noticed this bass roll-off at max volume? try to set the volume to about 30, then increase it gradually to max, then you'll hear that it's just treble beeing increased in volume, not the bass (well not as much bass as treble)

I've also noticed that the "bass-boost" not only increases the bass, but also lowers the treble
confused.gif

Please post your opinion about this, so I can confirm it's the player and not my setup there's something wrong with.

(with the volume turned to 32 and bass boost to max it made my AKG's vibrate through my amp, but not at max volume on the IHP with lower volume on my amp)

Nov 16, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 21
I can't answer your question, but that's disappointing to read. I was always asking whether the iHP had a true line out, and noone answered this question. If you have to touch the volume to get 'a line out', then it's not a true line out.

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 21
master83...

...when the line-out is connected to the amp, is any bass-boost or other EQ involved? Try it with a neutral setting. I wonder if you'd get the same effect. Maybe the bass boost is increasedly diminished with higher volume setting because otherwise it would cause an exceeding of digital zero values, which isn't possible. Just a thought.

However -- not so good news...
frown.gif

peacesign.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
master83...

...when the line-out is connected to the amp, is any bass-boost or other EQ involved? Try it with a neutral setting. I wonder if you'd get the same effect. Maybe the bass boost is increasedly diminished with higher volume setting because otherwise it would cause an exceeding of digital zero values, which isn't possible. Just a thought.

However -- not so good news...
frown.gif

peacesign.gif

Yes the bass boost and all EQ settings are involved through the line out. Hmm, I tried to set the EQ to Normal and make sure I had no SRS effects etc on, and then it was a more linear increase of both bass and treble all the way up to max volume.. So now I use max volume on the IHP. But I read somewhere at the iriver forum that on another iriver mp3-player the way to get a line-signal was to set the volume to 34.. and that a firmware update made the line out volume fixed. wonder if this will come on the ihp-120.

However I must say that there's no distorion what so ever from the line out when the volume is turned way up to max.

But thanks for the comment. I guess I'll use normal EQ settings from now on when I've got it connected to a amp.

TO IHP OWNERS WITH AMPS: how is your setup considering EQ, volume etc. ?

Thanks for all replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 21
I already posted a while ago in the iRiver forum that the iHP series doesn't have a real line out. I connect my iHP often to other amps and set the volume on 25 and turn of any eq. settings (what are they for anyway?). I'm satisfied with the sound but not with the fact that it's not a real line out. I never tried the optical out yet. Don't have the right cable.

Nov 16, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 21
The only way to get full resolution from the line-out should be with the volume set to max. This way it's indeed a true line-out without additional amplification stage -- the impact from volume and EQ settings is based on the fact that these sound effects are done in the digital domain. If I remember correctly that's what has been stated by iRiver.

peacesign.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
Anyone else noticed this bass roll-off at max volume? try to set the volume to about 30, then increase it gradually to max, then you'll hear that it's just treble beeing increased in volume, not the bass (well not as much bass as treble)

yes it's true.
i have never noticed this.

at 30-35 line out the sound is average, if i increased it to 40, the treble become more accurate, the bass doesn't change.
through an amp, 40 and line out is the best. (ER4S)

i noticed another thing: without amp, trough the line out the sound is better, more accurate than the normal headphone out. (ER4P)
it's harder to see the differences than with an amp, but line out is better in both situations (amped or unamped)
the volume can be modified with line out, and sound is better, so what is the headphone out for in this case?
confused.gif

i don't use EQ.
i will use 40 in standard setting with my amp, hope not forget to decrease the sound unamped
plainface.gif
redface.gif

not cool
frown.gif

but i remenber ipod sounded bad with the oldest firmware, i'm wrong?

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

but i remenber ipod sounded bad with the oldest firmware, i'm wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. 2.1 improved the sound but before it the iPod did not sound bad by any stretch of the word

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 21
To Murasame:

As I understand you use ER-4P's of the headphone jack or the line out without EQ-ing the sound? correct? How can you listen to music like that?
eek.gif
I find the sound much better with my ER-4P's straight out of the headphone jack when I turn the Bass-Boost up to about 12 or so. Give it a try. When I get my Supermicro I'll start using a 75ohm adaptor for my etys.. wonder how much that'll change the sound quality. Anyone got an idea?

Have you guys also noticed that with the volume turned way up and through an amp the differences between the different EQ's and Bass-Boost becomes weaker..? I can hear a much bigger difference with the volume turned down to about 30, and with more volume on my amp.

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
To Murasame:
As I understand you use ER-4P's of the headphone jack or the line out without EQ-ing the sound? correct? How can you listen to music like that?
eek.gif
I find the sound much better with my ER-4P's straight out of the headphone jack when I turn the Bass-Boost up to about 12 or so.

yes, i don't EQ the sound. i prefer neutrality.
i tried the bast boost to 12, but i see no real difference in normal tracks, and in high bass tracks like braveheart soundtrack the sound become distorded in the bass range.
maybe you listen music with more high bass impact than mine.
confused.gif

the differences between headphone jack and line out is much present to my hears than bass boostage.

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 21
I have a question for you guys (people) who use amps. How the heck do you deal with all the bulk/wires ? I go crazy enough just trying to situate the headphone and remote wires as it is ! I'm a bit of a neat freak, and hate having any wires exposed and usually go to great lengths to keep them out of site/tucked away, while still allowing for maximum efficiency.

I haven't reviewed my IHP-120 yet, but just as a heads up, I'm planning on going off on the designers of the remote control...it's the stupidest design I've ever seen.

Nov 16, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 21
i agree with you Sweet Spot.
i do not use amp when i'm in portable situation, i use it only for long travels or in bed.
for the remote, i don't like the headphone jack and the remote's cable in the same side, but this little issue aside, i likely use it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 21
>> for the remote, i don't like the headphone jack and the
>> remote's cable in the same side,

Another point of view:

The LCD remote stays clipped to my shirt pocket unless I need to see the screen, so I prefer both cords coming out of the "bottom" of it. I use short corded earphones with straight plugs, so cords coming downwards out of the remote means no right angle strain on the plug and protruding cable. A few of my earphones are out of commission with a copper break right near the plug.

Nov 16, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Murasame

yes, i don't EQ the sound. i prefer neutrality.
i tried the bast boost to 12, but i see no real difference in normal tracks, and in high bass tracks like braveheart soundtrack the sound become distorded in the bass range.
maybe you listen music with more high bass impact than mine.
confused.gif

the differences between headphone jack and line out is much present to my hears than bass boostage. [/B]

I agree that bass-heavy songs may be abit too heavy with the bass boost turned up, but overall with almost all music I listen to I find the ER-4P's too "bass-lacky"/too bright with normal EQ-settings. But maybe it's just me?
wink.gif
I like a little extra bass.

Nov 16, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I have a question for you guys (people) who use amps. How the heck do you deal with all the bulk/wires ? I go crazy enough just trying to situate the headphone and remote wires as it is ! I'm a bit of a neat freak, and hate having any wires exposed and usually go to great lengths to keep them out of site/tucked away, while still allowing for maximum efficiency.

I haven't reviewed my IHP-120 yet, but just as a heads up, I'm planning on going off on the designers of the remote control...it's the stupidest design I've ever seen.

When I get my inline amp (supermicro at fixup.net) I will put my IHP-120 in the pocket of my workpants (I'll mostly be using the player at work), from there the remote will be clipped on to my shirt or at belt height, a short cord (about 4-5 inches) will go from the player's line out to my amp that'll be in my pocket as well, from there I'll plug in my ER-4P to 4S adaptor and then my 4P's clipped on to my shirt and up to my ears
biggrin.gif
there's gonna be a heck of a wire jigzaw, but I guess I'll live.. The wire going from my amp in my pocket to my etys can even be tucked inside my shirt so that it isn't that exposed.

I think the remote with it's two wires not being "in-line" is great. But with me just having to worry about 1 wire, it's even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back