Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,036 of 1,351
OK, I have now spent quite a bit of time playing around with the firmware upgrade process to Rockbox the new 770C.  The method is much simpler than I previously realized and works well with both Windows XP and Windows 7 (still does not work with Windows 8 or 10 as far as I know).  In any event, you will still need to download the "ihifiupimg.rar" file from the Xuelin site if you have not already downloaded the drivers onto your computer.  Here is the link to this file:  http://pan.baidu.com/s/1hreOzti?qq-pf-to=pcqq.c2c (click on the box with down arrow 11.3M to download file).  Once you have used the Release_driver assistant to download the drivers onto your computer, then download the rockbox-bootloader file from XVortex onto your computer.  Here is the link:  https://mega.nz/#!Ukk1ybJT!Wl6nKpOQqJsH8Vk64GAThN0A9ZpPos2firfPfmtm_Qc.  After you have downloaded this file, then download the Rockbox-full  file (https://mega.nz/#!wkECnC4b!EPQgezOmSNTYr5ngpKON8AtpiN__p0OA1Vo357jVw7g) to your computer.  When you open the rockbox-full file, you will see a file named .rockbox.  You will need to extract this .rockbox file to a FAT32 formatted microsd card.  Once you have extracted the .rockbox file to your microsd card (make sure to check the card to see if .rockbox is there) then place the microsd card into the slot in the 770C. Now attach your 770C to your computer with its usb cable, the 770c screen should show the usb symbol on the left side of the sceen and a headphone image on the right side. Now open the rockbox-bootloader file and locate the RK27 upgrade image; click on this and the upgrade image will appear on your screen.  The bottom left text box should say something like "Found RK27 MSC Device".  The image path (near the middle of the image) should already contain the text that reads  "Image\770c-rockbox.img".  So next, you will click on the Upgrade button located just above the Image path.  A pop-up will appear that says "Device don't support, upgrade failed".  On this pop-up, click OK and the pop-up will disappear.  Next click on the Switch button (next to the Upgrade button), the text box in the lower left should now say "Found RK27 Loader Device".  Now click on the Upgrade button again and the firmware download should begin.  You should see lines of text appear in the large text box in the middle of the upgrade image.  When the process is complete, there will be 13 lines of text, the final one says "INFO: Upgrade OK".  The 770C will then turn off briefly, but then should automatically reboot.  If it does not reboot, then do a hard reset and then turn the player on with the power button.  When you disconnect the 770C from the usb cable, the screen on the 770c will have the Xuelin firmware still showing in Chinese. There will be 5 lines below the battery icon, move to the bottom line and press select key.  The 770c will then go thru an uploading process and a new screen will appear also in Chinese.  On this screen, there will be 6 lines below the battery icon.  Move down to the 6th line and press select.  This will open a screen that will let you select the language you want to use. Move to the language you want and hit the select button.  You can then use the return button to move back to the main screen.  To get to Rockbox, simply push the power button to turn off the player, then use the power button to turn the 770C back on.  The Rockbox screen will appear when the 770C is restarted.  Remember, you have to have the microsd card with the .rockbox file extracted to it in the microsd slot to access Rockbox on your 770C.  

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,037 of 1,351
All right guys, I've been in touch with XVortex and he wants to develop Rockbox ports for both the Xuelin iHifi 770 (original) and the iHiFi 800.  In fact, he is already working on the 800.  To accomplish these goals, he still needs contributions to at least buy the players he wants to develop the ports for.  I have contributed to his efforts on the new 770C and will contribute again for the 800.  I want you all to know that the guys at Penon Audio have lent very generous support to this process, so anyone who is in the market for the Xuelin iHiFi 800 may wish to consider buying from them.  Although Penon Audio carries the 800, they no longer stock the original 770.  It appears that Xuelin has phased out this player in favor of the new 770C (8740).  So even though Penon Audio was prepared to offer XVortex a very generous discount on the 770, they unfortunately do not have this player in stock anymore.  So for all you 770 owners (the original 770), I would strongly encourage donations to XVortex thru his Rockbox site if you really want a rockbox port.  There are still 3 vendors on eBay that carry the original 770:  wsz0304; pollychen0306; and dzone2.  If anyone here knows these vendors, you might consider seeing if one or more of them will offer a really good discount so XVortex can buy one to work on.  Of course, donations from all would still certainly help your and his cause.  Thanks.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,039 of 1,351
  All right guys, I've been in touch with XVortex and he wants to develop Rockbox ports for both the Xuelin iHifi 770 (original) and the iHiFi 800.  In fact, he is already working on the 800.  To accomplish these goals, he still needs contributions to at least buy the players he wants to develop the ports for.  I have contributed to his efforts on the new 770C and will contribute again for the 800.  I want you all to know that the guys at Penon Audio have lent very generous support to this process, so anyone who is in the market for the Xuelin iHiFi 800 may wish to consider buying from them.  Although Penon Audio carries the 800, they no longer stock the original 770.  It appears that Xuelin has phased out this player in favor of the new 770C (8740).  So even though Penon Audio was prepared to offer XVortex a very generous discount on the 770, they unfortunately do not have this player in stock anymore.  So for all you 770 owners (the original 770), I would strongly encourage donations to XVortex thru his Rockbox site if you really want a rockbox port.  There are still 3 vendors on eBay that carry the original 770:  wsz0304; pollychen0306; and dzone2.  If anyone here knows these vendors, you might consider seeing if one or more of them will offer a really good discount so XVortex can buy one to work on.  Of course, donations from all would still certainly help your and his cause.  Thanks.

Great info jdog - thanks.

@XVortex, I just donated. Even if you don't get the orig 770 rockboxed, I really appreciate your efforts. Having said that, hurry up with the orig 770 rockboxing!!!! 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

For any other interested parties (and you know who you are lol), here's the link:
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,040 of 1,351
For all current or future owners of the Xuelin  iHiFi 770C (Wolfson Dac 8740), original 770 (Wolfson Dac 8740), and 800, I would like to invite you to consider a donation to XVortex to keep his efforts going.  He has already successfully developed a Rockbox port for the new 770C (8740), and from my own experience , XVortex's port is an upgrade from the port that was developed for the 960 a few years ago...  The Rockbox port for the new 770C allows you to play higher resolution FLAC files and Apple files.  No more unwanted screeches while you are listening to FLAC files.  You also get gapless playback, personalized file sorting, graphic equalizer, album art, and cue sheet support, just to name some of the benefits of Rockbox.  He is already working on a port for the 800 and hopes to also eventually develop a port for the original 770...  But, he will need OUR support to accomplish this for US.  I hope if you can offer some spare change, a few dollars or even more that you will consider a donation.  I'm sure XVortex will appreciate any help he can get.  Here is the link to his Rockbox site where you can donate to his efforts:  http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/index.htm.  Thanks so much for helping out.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,041 of 1,351

Great info jdog - thanks.

@XVortex, I just donated. Even if you don't get the orig 770 rockboxed, I really appreciate your efforts. Having said that, hurry up with the orig 770 rockboxing!!!! 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

For any other interested parties (and you know who you are lol), here's the link:
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

Thanks Waynes World, you just beat me to the punch.... By the way, if he can get an original 770, he will be able to develop the Rockbox port.  I have no doubts....

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #1,042 of 1,351
  Thanks Waynes World, you just beat me to the punch.... By the way, if he can get an original 770, he will be able to develop the Rockbox port.  I have no doubts....

Right. Too bad the orig's are somewhat pricey at those stores, but at least they can still be found. Or maybe an existing owner would be willing to provide one to XVortex for a good price.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,043 of 1,351

Right. Too bad the orig's are somewhat pricey at those stores, but at least they can still be found. Or maybe an existing owner would be willing to provide one to XVortex for a good price.

I was really hoping that someone who follows this thread might know the 3 vendors (wsz0304, pollychen, dzone2) on eBay that are still selling the original 770.  Then we might have someone who could try to get a good discount for XVortex.  I tried with Penon Audio, but they no longer stock the original 770; but Penon was prepared to give a very generous discount on the 800 and the new 770C...  So, if anyone has a good relationship with any of these 3 vendors, please see if you can help us all out here...  Thanks.

May 2, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,045 of 1,351
XVortex - silly question... when there's a Rockbox system update (like the one you just posted on your download page) I assume you can just copy the new .rockbox folder over the old one on the microSD card?  I shouldn't need to reapply the firmware with that cumbersome image updater, do you?

May 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,048 of 1,351
Hello guys,

I am trying to upgrade my firmware of my xuelin 770c unfortunately I am on Win10x64. I can't seem to update the firmware with the current RK27 Upgrade Image 2.22.

I even tried running VM with WinXP and Win7 unfortunately I get the same result, everytime I hit switch the RK27 doesn't work, and it gives me an error message on Windows.

Has anyone found a workaround for this? Is there a way special way to setup VM to work?

I wanted to try the RockBox version XVortex made...

May 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,049 of 1,351
  Hello guys,

I am trying to upgrade my firmware of my xuelin 770c unfortunately I am on Win10x64. I can't seem to update the firmware with the current RK27 Upgrade Image 2.22.

I even tried running VM with WinXP and Win7 unfortunately I get the same result, everytime I hit switch the RK27 doesn't work, and it gives me an error message on Windows.

Has anyone found a workaround for this? Is there a way special way to setup VM to work?

I wanted to try the RockBox version XVortex made...

First of all, are you running the program as administrator? And what is the error message?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back