Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,021 of 1,351
  I am anticipating that some of you new 770C (8740) owners have not tried to upgrade firmware on any of the Xuelin players before.  I am, therefore, posting here the instructions for this process.  I hope these instructions are simple and clear enough to get you thru the process.   Please let me know if you have any questions... Good luck, and remember, if you don't like the new firmware, Xuelin has included the original firmware in this download, so you can always put it back on your player.  But AGAIN, this firmware is only for the new 770C (8740) and not the original 770C (8718).  

Instructions for updating firmware on the Xuelin 770C

First, you will need access to a computer with Windows 7, XP or Vista.  I have not been able to get a computer with Windows 8 to complete this process.  You can use either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7.  I have had problems with some newer computers due to some of the newer processors.  I am using a Dell computer with Windows 7 (64 bit).  I have the Intel Core 2 duo on my laptop.  I have been able to use an older Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 that had one of the early versions of the i5 processor, but I have not had luck with newer Lenovo laptops with newer versions of the i5 or i7 processors…

Download the file that I’ve linked to above (post #640 in this thread), this will give you a file named “ihifiupimg-new770.rar”.  Once you have downloaded this file, then open it.  Before you can update the firmware on your 770C, you will need to download the drivers you need to your computer; this is very easy.  After you have opened ihifiupimg, you will see a subfile named “Release_DriverAssistant”.  Click on this to open.  You will see another file named “Release_DriverAssistant”.  Click on this file to open.  Go down to subfile named “DriverInstall.exe”; click on this file and an image will appear (RK driver assistant).  Select “Install driver”; you will soon see an image that asks if you want to install this device software; select install again.  Depending on the speed of your computer, you may see this message again, just select install again.  After several seconds to a few minutes, you will get a message that says drivers have been installed ok.

Once you have loaded the drivers, go back to the main ihifiupimg-new file.  Look for the subfile named “RK27Image_upgrade.exe”.   For some people with Windows 7, you will need to run this subfile as administrator to complete the upgrade process.  For others with Windows 7, you may only need to click on this subfile and it will extract to your computer; the upgrade image will appear on your screen.  When the image appears, look at the text box at the lower left corner of the image;  it will have some symbols in it that contain …RK27….  You then want to connect your 770C to your computer with its usb cable.  After you connect your 770C, select usb on the DAP and the image will change to “iHIFI usb connection” on the DAP screen.  The text box in the left lower corner of the upgrade image will now read something like …RK27 MSC…
Now look up to the top 1/3 of the upgrade image and you will see a box that has the number “80” in it.   Just to the right of this number 80 box, you will see a row of 4 “buttons”.  Go to the second button (the one that reads something like E>>>>).  Click on this button.  The message in the left lower text box should change to …RK27 Loader…  Next you will look back up to the number 80 box.  Under the row of the “4 buttons”, there is a text box that is labeled “Image” on its left side.  Go to the right side of this image text box and click on the button (…).  An image will appear and this is where you will open the firmware for the 770C (n770new.img); the n770new.img is found in a subfile of the ihifiupimg-new770; the subfile is “img”.  Double click on this subfile and 2 image files appear.  As you would expect, the n770new.img is the new firmware upgrade.  The n770old.img is the firmware currently on the 770C (8740).  (for better access to the n770new.img file, I have downloaded the image file to a separate flash drive.  I plug the flash drive to a separate usb port on my laptop and select the image from my flash drive).   

After the image file appears in the “file name” box, then select open.  The number box that read “80”, should now read “688135”.  Next click on the 1st button just to the right of this “688135” box.  After you do this, you will see several lines of text appear in the large text box in the middle of the upgrade image.  Once the firmware has been added to your 770C, the DAP will turn off briefly, but then restart.  Occasionally, the 770C will appear frozen after the firmware change; if this happens, you will need to reset the player thru the small hole (with a paper clip) under the microsd slot.

Since this is the Chinese version, the language on the player will be in Chinese.  If you wish to change the language on the DAP, scroll down to line 10 on the screen (first line is line 1).  Press the select/play button and another screen will appear with 1 line.  Press select/play again and the language options will appear.  Move to the language you prefer, press the select button and the red check mark will move to that line.  Then press the return button on the DAP to move back out to the main menu.

Here is a post I wrote earlier on this thread.  For all those new 770C (8740) owners who are trying to upgrade to the Rockbox firmware, you will need to know the basic process for upgrading the firmware on your player.  I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to accomplish this task successfully to practice reloading the Xuelin firmware on your player to get some practice, if you are having trouble getting started.  Here is the step by step instructions that I have used repeatedly to change firmware on the 770C.  If you are able to follow these instructions, then you should be able to eventually Rockbox your 770C, using the files that XVortex has given to us....

NOTE: to get the Xuelin version of the firmware for the new 770C, then use this link:  http://pan.baidu.com/s/1pJSyT0B.

To get the files for Rockboxing your new 770C, then use this link:  http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,024 of 1,351
confused_face_2.gif
I finally got a chance to try XVortex's Rockbox image.  After 2 hours of failed attempts at getting 'RK27 Loader Device Not Found' errors, I finally was able to find a USB port & cable combination that allowed me to flash the new Rockbox firmware.  All went well, it ended successfully, BUT....
now whenever I turn on the 770C it gives me the message"ATA error: -21" for a couple of seconds then blanks out.

That's all. What is wrong?  Please help!

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,025 of 1,351

confused_face_2.gif
I finally got a chance to try XVortex's Rockbox image.  After 2 hours of failed attempts at getting 'RK27 Loader Device Not Found' errors, I finally was able to find a USB port & cable combination that allowed me to flash the new Rockbox firmware.  All went well, it ended successfully, BUT....
now whenever I turn on the 770C it gives me the message"ATA error: -21" for a couple of seconds then blanks out.

That's all. What is wrong?  Please help!

I'm not sure what this error is.  You will probably need to get XVortex to help.  In the meantime, have you tried to re-install the .rockbox file onto your microsd card to see if this helps?  or maybe another microsd card with ,rockbox extracted onto it?  By the way, have you been using a computer with Windows 7 or XP to put the firmware on your 770C? There are a couple of colleagues who are using computers with XP that are having difficulties...  Any advice you might post here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,027 of 1,351

ATA error means that rockbox bootloader was unable to read main firmware from the card.
Reformat to FAT32) your card, Checc/place .rockbox folder in root or try ti use another card.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,029 of 1,351
It's working great for me, XVortex!  I had the usual headaches associated with upgrading the 770C firmware (Xuelin's fault... not yours).  I also downloaded the AluminArt theme from the Rockbox site and it works well.  I've shown appreciation for your hard work via your donation page;  I encourage other new770C owners do the same -- XVortex's hard work has made this, otherwise very ordinary, DAP something I can really enjoy.
Thanks, again!

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,031 of 1,351
Can someone please make a video of how to RB this device pls? In the place i live (Vietnam), there are not that many technicians around to ask for help. So i would be really grateful if some one can show me a video of how to RB

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,032 of 1,351
  Can someone please make a video of how to RB this device pls? In the place i live (Vietnam), there are not that many technicians around to ask for help. So i would be really grateful if some one can show me a video of how to RB

I'm not sure a video is necessary, but I would be happy to help walk you thru the process.  First, what Windows version are you using and what is the processor on your computer?  If you are using Windows 8 or 10, then you will find another computer that is using either Windows XP or Windows 7.  With computers using Windows 7, I have not been able to get the update process to work with newer i5 or i7 processors.  After you tell me what computer system you are working with. I'll be happy to talk you through.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,034 of 1,351
  Mine is a win 10 but i can find a XP laptop in the library somehow.

Ok, once you find a computer with windows XP, let me know.  You will need to download some files onto a thumbdrive for this process to work.  Go to the Xuelin website (i-hifi.com) and find the Download bar at the top of the homepage.  You can change the language on the homepage to English and the Download tab will appear at the top of the screen.  You will click on the Download "button" and a page will open.  Click on the line that says "tools you will need for upgrade (or something like this).  Click on this and you will go to another page that is in Chinese.  Look at the top of the page and you will see a blue box and another box just to the right with an arrow pointing down and 11.3M next to it.  Click on this box with arrow pointing down and 11.3M written beside arrow.  You can use your computer with Windows 10 to find this file and download, but once you have downloaded to you computer, you will need to extract the file to your thumbdrive.  I don't know if it matters or not, but I am using a Patriot Blitz 32 gb thumbdrive.  Next, you will need to go to XVortex Rock box site and download the rockbox-bootloader file to your computer.  Once this is on your computer, open the file and you will see a folder that says 'Image"; extract only the Image folder to your thumbdrive.  The computer that has Windows XP will need to have 2 usb ports, 1 for your thumbdrive and the other to connect your 770c.  You will need to open your thumbdrive on the computer and then select ihifiupimg and extract to the Windows XP computer.  The file should open and you should see a subfile called Release_Driver assistant, click on this and another subfile will open also called Release_driver assistant.  Click on this again and you should see a file called "Driverinstall.exe".  Click on this and you should see a pop-up appear the says install driver.  Click on this and a bar will move back and forth, once the drivers have installed you will get a message that says driver install ok.  Now you are ready to try to upgrade the firmware.  So go back to the ihifiupimg file and chose the icon that says RK27 upgrade image.  Once you click on this, the upgrade image should appear.  Make sure your 770C is plugged into the USB port.  Now go up to post 1021 in this thread that I put up yesterday to tell you how to proceed with the firmware upgrade image.  When it comes time to select the firmware to load onto your 770c, go back to your thumbdrive and pick the image file you extracted from XVortex's file. Open this file in the window and you should then see the 770c-rockbox image appear, now open this and this image file should move into the firmware line.  You should be able to complete the process using my instructions is post 1021 above.  If you have any problems let me know.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #1,035 of 1,351
  Mine is a win 10 but i can find a XP laptop in the library somehow.

I've tried Windows 10 in all of its compatibility modes, in both 32- and 64-bit versions.  I couldn't get it to work, no matter what, until I found a Windows 7 PC I hadn't upgraded yet.  Like jdog said -- if you have access to a WinXP machine, you should be able to do it off a USB thumbdrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back