Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #526 of 1,351
  OK, to build a Favorites list, you have to start with "All Music" (under the main Music menu).  When you select "All Music", you will then get a list of all your songs on the internal memory.  Use your forward and rewind keys to scroll and select a song you want to add to the Favorite list.  Once you have found a song, push the play/select button and hold for a second or two.  A blue box will then appear with the heading "Add to Favorite".  Press the play/select button again, and this should add the song to your favorite list.  To check, just go to the "My Favorite" line, and then push play/select to see your list...  A bit awkward, I know, but this is the process...  It looks like you have already figured out how to delete songs from the list...

thanks, jdog.  now that I've familiarized myself with the UI, I'm really enjoying the player. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #527 of 1,351
The sound quality of the 770C is quite impressive. Even without serious listening, I hear a bit more detail than the Fiio X1. In terms of UI, Fiio wins. In terms of sound quality, I am preferring the 770C. Now if only they could update the UI some more to be similar to the Fiio UI....

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #528 of 1,351
Hi all,

So my 770c just arrived today. Needless to say my excitement died shortly after attempting to use it. Firstly, the microSD card I put in there (SanDisk microSDXC 64gb) decided it didn't want to format properly; which required some time to fix. Secondly, any time I go to copy and paste music onto either the internal storage or external storage, the transfer freezes, the usb connection fails and the whole window closes, requiring me to reconnect my 770c. So far, only once song has transferred and it doesn't appear to work.

Now the issue had escalated further. My 770c is totally unresponsive, the buttons light up when pressed but nothing else occurs - the screen is completely off. Holding down the power button for any length of time has no effect on turning on the screen or altering the buttons lighting up. Plugging it into my computer leads to a notification stating that windows can't read the device because it is damaged. I'm not sure what to do and I'm more than a little frustrated at the moment. I got this from massdrop. 

Edit: I appear to have sorted out the issue. Power supply wasn't delivering enough power to my usb ports which was causing an error.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #529 of 1,351
Hi all

Thinking of changing my old Nationite Sflo2  to something new , as this new version of 770c operates on single wolfson 8740 ( comparing to nationite dual 8740) .Did anyone can compare SQ on this ? Dont think UI can be any worst than the one used on nationite ... 

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #530 of 1,351
Hello all

Been searching for a new player and especially been lurking on this thread for a while. I just placed my order on aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XUELIN-NEW-IHIFI770C-NEW-IHIFI-770C-8G-WM8740-AD823-24Bit-192k-Audiophile-AMP-Portable-HiFi-Music/32347257640.html. I really love the look of it.

I've been using an Ipod Touch 4G and i don't like the fact that the player cannot naturally play flac. Also i want to use something with more power to drive my 75Ohms Ultrasone HFI-680 to its fullest potential. I will be able to describe my findings of the product but i won't be able to accurately compare sound quality. Am really looking forward to the arrival of my new player and will come back here to post my reactions,

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #531 of 1,351
@jdog, I am planning to get 770C. Which one would you recommend? -old one or the upgraded version. I am looking for a bright revealing sound signature with quality bass.. I can see both models listed in ebay for almost the same price .. TIA

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #532 of 1,351
  @jdog, I am planning to get 770C. Which one would you recommend? -old one or the upgraded version. I am looking for a bright revealing sound signature with quality bass.. I can see both models listed in ebay for almost the same price .. TIA

I'd get the new one. I have the 770 and honestly, I'm not entirely sure if the 770 sound signature is what you have in mind. It's not bright, but it is balanced and relatively neutral. Not too thick and warm, just about right. I have two WM8740 devices, one a DAC and the 770. Both are tonally on the warm side but the 770 is more neutral but loses (slightly) in dimension. 

By the sound signature you have described, I would actually recommend something with the ESS ES9018 chip in it, whether ES9018 or ES9018K2M. Sadly, they're not cheap unlike the 770C, and I can only think of two players that have them that don't cost over 400 dollars. iBasso DX90 (which I have and is a fantastic player with clean, bright and revealing sound), and the Xuelin 770C big brother, the 800. jdog has the 800 so you should ask him more about it. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #533 of 1,351

Well, let me just stress that I don't have any insight into Xuelin's future plans, but based on what they have written in the past, I'm not sure they will be supporting the original 770C (with Wolfson DAC 8718) much longer.  And they seemed to suggest that the new, modified 770C (with Wolfson DAC 8740) may replace not only the original 770C, but also the 770.  If this is the case, then they may not offer future firmware upgrades for the original 770C (or ? the 770 either).  If I felt that the Xuelin players had "mature" firmware already, then I would be very happy to recommend the original 770C.  However, I really feel that the new, modified 770C is a better quality DAP than the original 770C.  Yes, all the Xuelin players have their quirks, but hopefully many of these can be worked out with future firmware upgrades...  If you are looking for an inexpensive, introductory DAP and the firmware issue is not a big concern, then you may want to get the original 770C (8718), since there are 2 firmware versions currently available.   I personally prefer the original firmware that came with the original 770C (confused yet?), because the sound from the HOs is more powerful than the sound you get with the newer firmware for the 770C (8718) or the current firmware for the new 770C (8740).  I hope this is making sense.  On the other hand, I do like the new 770C alot, and I feel it is a better quality DAP than the original.  The sound quality is quite good, just not as boosted compared to the original 770C.  Since I am hopeful that Xuelin will continue to work on firmware improvements, I would personally choose the new, modified 770C...  but, it really all depends on what you prefer...  There are others in this thread that have had a chance to compare the sound from the original 770C with the 2 current firmware options... Maybe they can comment and give you some direction as well...  I really don't know what firmware version you would get with the original 770C if you bought it today, but if you opted to get the original 770C and it comes with the newer firmware version, then I could always send you the original firmware to try out...  I realize this is all a bit confusing, but Xuelin is quite unpredictable in my opinion, so who knows what they will offer next when it comes to their DAPs... 

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #534 of 1,351
  I'd get the new one. I have the 770 and honestly, I'm not entirely sure if the 770 sound signature is what you have in mind. It's not bright, but it is balanced and relatively neutral. Not too thick and warm, just about right. I have two WM8740 devices, one a DAC and the 770. Both are tonally on the warm side but the 770 is more neutral but loses (slightly) in dimension. 

By the sound signature you have described, I would actually recommend something with the ESS ES9018 chip in it, whether ES9018 or ES9018K2M. Sadly, they're not cheap unlike the 770C, and I can only think of two players that have them that don't cost over 400 dollars. iBasso DX90 (which I have and is a fantastic player with clean, bright and revealing sound), and the Xuelin 770C big brother, the 800. jdog has the 800 so you should ask him more about it. 

The 800 is a more neutral sounding DAP than the 770s.  Some people have complained that the 800 lacks bass, but in my opinion, the bass is very well defined and clean (not muddy or heavy).  I personally like the sound of the 800, because of it's more neutral and balanced sound signature, vocals are very nice. . I found the sound quality of the 800 to be better than the sound quality of the FiiO x3ii...  You got to consider though that the price of the 800 is 2-3 times more than the 770C...   Although the sound quality of the 800 is very good, the current firmware really limits functionality and file format support...  So I am really hoping that Xuelin will continue to develop firmware for the 800, or better yet, someone will develop a Rockbox port for the 800....  

@Kwangsun, do you have the latest firmware on your 770?  If you do, then I do agree that the sound is more neutral than with previous firmware versions...  Have you had the chance to compare the sound quality with different firmware versions for the 770?  If you have, maybe you can also comment on the this.  Thanks.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #535 of 1,351
  Hello all

Been searching for a new player and especially been lurking on this thread for a while. I just placed my order on aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XUELIN-NEW-IHIFI770C-NEW-IHIFI-770C-8G-WM8740-AD823-24Bit-192k-Audiophile-AMP-Portable-HiFi-Music/32347257640.html. I really love the look of it.

I've been using an Ipod Touch 4G and i don't like the fact that the player cannot naturally play flac. Also i want to use something with more power to drive my 75Ohms Ultrasone HFI-680 to its fullest potential. I will be able to describe my findings of the product but i won't be able to accurately compare sound quality. Am really looking forward to the arrival of my new player and will come back here to post my reactions,

Just be aware that all the Xuelin players tend to have problems on occasion with more highly compressed FLAC files, and none natively play higher resolution FLAC files (higher than 16/44).  Also, the Xuelin players do not support Apple formats (AAC, ALAC, or AIFF) at this point.  Maybe a firmware upgrade or two will address all these issues...

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #536 of 1,351
  Hi all

Thinking of changing my old Nationite Sflo2  to something new , as this new version of 770c operates on single wolfson 8740 ( comparing to nationite dual 8740) .Did anyone can compare SQ on this ? Dont think UI can be any worst than the one used on nationite ... 

You are correct, the UI on the new 770C is no worse than the UI of the Sflo2...  I think the sound quality of the 770C is much better than what we got with the Sflo2; the background on the 770C is dead silent, no clicks or pops and its sound signature is more musical/fun. The 770C has a better sound stage and just has a more natural sound than the Sflo2.   The 770C also has more power and I have not needed a separate amp for it.  For the price, the new 770C (in my opinion) is a very nice introductory DAP...

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #537 of 1,351
  Hi all,

So my 770c just arrived today. Needless to say my excitement died shortly after attempting to use it. Firstly, the microSD card I put in there (SanDisk microSDXC 64gb) decided it didn't want to format properly; which required some time to fix. Secondly, any time I go to copy and paste music onto either the internal storage or external storage, the transfer freezes, the usb connection fails and the whole window closes, requiring me to reconnect my 770c. So far, only once song has transferred and it doesn't appear to work.

Now the issue had escalated further. My 770c is totally unresponsive, the buttons light up when pressed but nothing else occurs - the screen is completely off. Holding down the power button for any length of time has no effect on turning on the screen or altering the buttons lighting up. Plugging it into my computer leads to a notification stating that windows can't read the device because it is damaged. I'm not sure what to do and I'm more than a little frustrated at the moment. I got this from massdrop. 

Edit: I appear to have sorted out the issue. Power supply wasn't delivering enough power to my usb ports which was causing an error.

I'm glad to hear you have gotten things sorted out and I hope you enjoy the new 770C.   In my experience, if you are using a microsd card >32 gb with any of the Xuelin players, you will get a message that basically says you can't add files to the micro sd card while it is in the slot of the player...  I have not had any problems adding files to microsd cards with 32 gb or less while the card is in the  microsd slot (as long as the card has been formatted to FAT 32).  So with my 64 gb and 128 gb, I just add files directly to the card using a card adapter and then put the card in the player to play the music...  Again, this is another one of the Xuelin firmware quirks.... Maybe one of these days, Xuelin will get serious and make some major firmware upgrades to address this issue and others....

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #538 of 1,351
  The 800 is a more neutral sounding DAP than the 770s.  Some people have complained that the 800 lacks bass, but in my opinion, the bass is very well defined and clean (not muddy or heavy).  I personally like the sound of the 800, because of it's more neutral and balanced sound signature, vocals are very nice. . I found the sound quality of the 800 to be better than the sound quality of the FiiO x3ii...  You got to consider though that the price of the 800 is 2-3 times more than the 770C...   Although the sound quality of the 800 is very good, the current firmware really limits functionality and file format support...  So I am really hoping that Xuelin will continue to develop firmware for the 800, or better yet, someone will develop a Rockbox port for the 800....  

@Kwangsun, do you have the latest firmware on your 770?  If you do, then I do agree that the sound is more neutral than with previous firmware versions...  Have you had the chance to compare the sound quality with different firmware versions for the 770?  If you have, maybe you can also comment on the this.  Thanks.

The last firmware upgrade was when you helped me out. So unless they've released any new firmwares since then, yes, I believe I have the latest firmware. I believe that my comparo was done with the old firmware. It's a pain in the butt to switch the firmware back and forth for comparison so I have not bothered to do it. I'm quite happy with the current firmware. I have noticed some obvious changes between the new and the old and that is:

1. New FW has a flat sounding balanced (port A) output. And a more dynamic (boosted) port B. It's is more pronounced than with stock FW. In old FW, the two ports had slight differences but not major alterations in sound. 

2. Not quite as loud as the old FW. The volume on the FW feels less powerful, but I think it has more to do with the improvement in precision. OLD FW Volume increment of 1:2 in new FW etc.

I often used port A with the old FW, but now use port B most of the time. It's just more enjoyable. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #539 of 1,351
  The last firmware upgrade was when you helped me out. So unless they've released any new firmwares since then, yes, I believe I have the latest firmware. I believe that my comparo was done with the old firmware. It's a pain in the butt to switch the firmware back and forth for comparison so I have not bothered to do it. I'm quite happy with the current firmware. I have noticed some obvious changes between the new and the old and that is:

1. New FW has a flat sounding balanced (port A) output. And a more dynamic (boosted) port B. It's is more pronounced than with stock FW. In old FW, the two ports had slight differences but not major alterations in sound. 

2. Not quite as loud as the old FW. The volume on the FW feels less powerful, but I think it has more to do with the improvement in precision. OLD FW Volume increment of 1:2 in new FW etc.

I often used port A with the old FW, but now use port B most of the time. It's just more enjoyable. 

Whaaaa? The 770's port B is more dynamic/boosted/enjoyable with the latest FW than with the old FW? I just might have to sign up for that!

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #540 of 1,351

Sorry, but you'll need to remind me as to which firmware version you have on your 770.  From your description (unless I am not understanding what you're saying), it sounds like you may have version Ihifi_ 2.02 on the player and this is an earlier firmware version for the 770.  The older firmware allowed more power out of the HOs.    The newer firmware (770-8740_v1.04) renders the HOs a bit more neutral, and the difference between HOA and HOB (although still discernable) is less.  I'm not sure I interpreted hqssui's sound preference correctly (I thought he/she was asking about a boosted treble/bass signature, but as you stated, he/she may have been asking for a more balanced, neutral sound), but this is why I thought he/she might be interested in the original 770C, because of the option for the older firmware...  In any event, I also like the HO B on all my 770s, regardless of the firmware version....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back