Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #511 of 1,351
for anyone else who prefers using an explorer view mode but doesn't like how the player sorts the files (sorted by when they were written to the disk), you'll need
something like 'FAT Reader' to sort them properly. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #512 of 1,351
How does the 770c or even the 800 compare to the Fiio X3II?

In my opinion, in terms of functionality, UI, and file format support the X3ii is better than either the 770C or the 800.  In terms of sound quality alone, I feel the 800 is better than the X3ii and the new modified 770C is similar to the X3ii.  I keep hoping that Xuelin will continue to develop their firmware to provide better file format support, gapless playback, etc.....

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #513 of 1,351
  for anyone else who prefers using an explorer view mode but doesn't like how the player sorts the files (sorted by when they were written to the disk), you'll need
something like 'FAT Reader' to sort them properly. 

Another easy program to use to sort files on the Xuelin players is Drivesort; here is the download site for this:  http://www.anerty.net/dl/DriveSort_en.zip

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #514 of 1,351
Just started listening to my 770C for the first time and the sound quality is good. It sounds better than my Fiio X1 so far, but it's only been 20 minutes. Having two headphone jacks with different sound signatures is quite nice. Does anyone happen to have any accurate description of what each of them do? Dark seems like a normal headphone out or it makes the vocals and mids more laid back and airy while Bright increases the mids and highs to provide a more intimate sound stage. The bright should help my MDR7550 sound brighter hopefully.

Unfortunately, I have some issues with the UI in the case of not being able to
1) Use the touch buttons while the screen is off to control playback
2) Being able to rewind a song to the start. I hold down the Previous button and it'll only go back to the first 10 seconds of the song.
3) Go back to songs that were previously playing as the shuffle order is completely random (If i hit foward or back then trying to undo that will bring me to a different song than what was previously playing)

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #515 of 1,351
Hi.
I have recently received my first ( most likely the last) order from Massdrop. It is a Xuelin ihiFi 770 DAP with WM8740 .
I am experiencing a few problems that never had in my previous DAPs ( DX50, AK100, x3, x1).
The 770 works, but it does not read about 50% of music files written on the micro SD card ( 128GB Genuine Sandisk). No  playback . No sound. this files are all mp3s 320bps and are not corrupted by any reason. They are readable by other devices I have mentioned above.
I am not sure what to do.
I have contacted MassDrop regarding the same issue, but there is no respond from them within a few days already.
In fact , Massdrop does not accept returns and exchanges. As a result, I have to throw this DAP away or sell it on eBay proabably as " for parts , not working" item.
If anybody experiencing same or similar problems with this player, just let me know about the solution.
THANK YOU !

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #516 of 1,351
  Just started listening to my 770C for the first time and the sound quality is good. It sounds better than my Fiio X1 so far, but it's only been 20 minutes. Having two headphone jacks with different sound signatures is quite nice. Does anyone happen to have any accurate description of what each of them do? Dark seems like a normal headphone out or it makes the vocals and mids more laid back and airy while Bright increases the mids and highs to provide a more intimate sound stage. The bright should help my MDR7550 sound brighter hopefully.

Unfortunately, I have some issues with the UI in the case of not being able to
1) Use the touch buttons while the screen is off to control playback
2) Being able to rewind a song to the start. I hold down the Previous button and it'll only go back to the first 10 seconds of the song.
3) Go back to songs that were previously playing as the shuffle order is completely random (If i hit foward or back then trying to undo that will bring me to a different song than what was previously playing)

Let me try to address these things:
1.  When the screen is off, the buttons are locked.  You have to depress the power button (shortly) or the return key to turn the screen back on and unlock the touch buttons.  This is intentional.
2.  I had not really noticed this issue until you mentioned it.  I find that when I am playing mp3 files, I can rewind all the way back to the start of the song; when I am using FLAC files, I can rewind all the way back to 0, but then it will automatically skip back up to 10 seconds on the song.  I have not tried this with WAV files yet.  This is most certainly a bug in the firmware, because the same thing happens with my 770 and 800 players.  Xuelin has traditionally had problems with FLAC files (in one way or another), so hopefully they'll eventually get this problem sorted out...we can hope, at least...
3.  Sorry, I don't really use shuffle mode, so I really can't help much here, but I think this is how the firmware was set up, so Xuelin may not consider this a bug...

The sound differences from the HOs on the new modified 770C are not as apparent as they are on the 770 and original 770C (with their more original firmwares).  The Dark is supposed to be more neutral and the vocals are more recessed.  The Bright has "amplified" bass and treble and the vocals are more forward.  With the firmware on the modified 770C, the power thru the HOs has been more governed, so the difference between the 2 HOs is not as striking.  I guess you would have to listen to the 770 or original 770C with their original firmware to really appreciate the difference.  

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #517 of 1,351
  Hi.
I have recently received my first ( most likely the last) order from Massdrop. It is a Xuelin ihiFi 770 DAP with WM8740 .
I am experiencing a few problems that never had in my previous DAPs ( DX50, AK100, x3, x1).
The 770 works, but it does not read about 50% of music files written on the micro SD card ( 128GB Genuine Sandisk). No  playback . No sound. this files are all mp3s 320bps and are not corrupted by any reason. They are readable by other devices I have mentioned above.
I am not sure what to do.
I have contacted MassDrop regarding the same issue, but there is no respond from them within a few days already.
In fact , Massdrop does not accept returns and exchanges. As a result, I have to throw this DAP away or sell it on eBay proabably as " for parts , not working" item.
If anybody experiencing same or similar problems with this player, just let me know about the solution.
THANK YOU !

Sorry, I have not had this problem.  I have used 64 gb and 128 gb cards in my modified 770C without any problems.  I am currently using a PNY 128 gb card and all the files play without difficulty.  I did format my cards to FAT32 using the formatter recommended by Xuelin.  Here is the link to the formatter, if you want to try it out.  Good luck and I hope you can get things sorted out.  http://www.i-hifi.com/hd/guiformat(www.greenxf.com).zip

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #518 of 1,351
  Another easy program to use to sort files on the Xuelin players is Drivesort; here is the download site for this:  http://www.anerty.net/dl/DriveSort_en.zip

Yep, that's significantly better (took a moment to realize you need to be in playlist mode to freely move files around) than FAT Reader, which is fine but navigation sucks due to default tiny window.

jdog, what's up with the favorites function? I'm using internal memory exclusively and in explorer mode, a long press of the >M button gives you the option to delete the file but I'm not seeing
any option to tag a track as a favorite.

diapazon64, I'm using the internal memory only atm, but I did toss a few cards in for a test.  a 64gb sandisk (had a few issues with tracks not being seen), a 16gb PNY which worked perfectly.
both were formated as FAT32.  i didn't deep-dive into the problem because ive had issues w/ this sandisk card in the past. you may consider grabbing a samsung or pny 16gb for $5-$10 and testing
it out. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #519 of 1,351
  Let me try to address these things:
1.  When the screen is off, the buttons are locked.  You have to depress the power button (shortly) or the return key to turn the screen back on and unlock the touch buttons.  This is intentional.
2.  I had not really noticed this issue until you mentioned it.  I find that when I am playing mp3 files, I can rewind all the way back to the start of the song; when I am using FLAC files, I can rewind all the way back to 0, but then it will automatically skip back up to 10 seconds on the song.  I have not tried this with WAV files yet.  This is most certainly a bug in the firmware, because the same thing happens with my 770 and 800 players.  Xuelin has traditionally had problems with FLAC files (in one way or another), so hopefully they'll eventually get this problem sorted out...we can hope, at least...
3.  Sorry, I don't really use shuffle mode, so I really can't help much here, but I think this is how the firmware was set up, so Xuelin may not consider this a bug...

The sound differences from the HOs on the new modified 770C are not as apparent as they are on the 770 and original 770C (with their more original firmwares).  The Dark is supposed to be more neutral and the vocals are more recessed.  The Bright has "amplified" bass and treble and the vocals are more forward.  With the firmware on the modified 770C, the power thru the HOs has been more governed, so the difference between the 2 HOs is not as striking.  I guess you would have to listen to the 770 or original 770C with their original firmware to really appreciate the difference.  

Appreciate the response.

Yes, I realized that they lock and only work with the screen being on. I forgot to mention that I was hoping there would be a way to control playback with the screen off. It seems likely that the rewinding functioning doesn't work properly for FLAC files. Lastly, shuffle does seem to be a true shuffle and that the Previous and Back control serve more to skip songs rather than backtracking through the order of played songs.

As for the HOs, I can easily notice a difference between the two when swapping between them on my 598s even though its the modified version. It sounds like +2 to +3dB is added for a V shape and about half of that for the mids?

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #520 of 1,351

Appreciate the response.

Yes, I realized that they lock and only work with the screen being on. I forgot to mention that I was hoping there would be a way to control playback with the screen off. It seems likely that the rewinding functioning doesn't work properly for FLAC files. Lastly, shuffle does seem to be a true shuffle and that the Previous and Back control serve more to skip songs rather than backtracking through the order of played songs.

As for the HOs, I can easily notice a difference between the two when swapping between them on my 598s even though its the modified version. It sounds like +2 to +3dB is added for a V shape and about half of that for the mids?

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you would not be able to tell a difference in the sound between the HOs of the new modified 770C, I just meant that the difference was much more noticeable on the 770 and original 770C with more original firmware versions.  In fact, I really enjoy the Bright HO on the 770 and original 770C more than the Bright HO on the modified 770C... The sound just has a more powerful, fun feel to it (if this makes sense)...So, I have put older firmware back on my 770 and original 770C.   With the newest firmware upgrades for the 770 and original 770C, the Bright HO is very, very similar to the Bright HO on the new modified 770C.  I do like the new modified 770C as well, but it is nice to have more than a few options when it comes to different music styles/genres....

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #521 of 1,351

Yep, that's significantly better (took a moment to realize you need to be in playlist mode to freely move files around) than FAT Reader, which is fine but navigation sucks due to default tiny window.

jdog, what's up with the favorites function? I'm using internal memory exclusively and in explorer mode, a long press of the >M button gives you the option to delete the file but I'm not seeing
any option to tag a track as a favorite.

diapazon64, I'm using the internal memory only atm, but I did toss a few cards in for a test.  a 64gb sandisk (had a few issues with tracks not being seen), a 16gb PNY which worked perfectly.
both were formated as FAT32.  i didn't deep-dive into the problem because ive had issues w/ this sandisk card in the past. you may consider grabbing a samsung or pny 16gb for $5-$10 and testing
it out. 

OK, to build a Favorites list, you have to start with "All Music" (under the main Music menu).  When you select "All Music", you will then get a list of all your songs on the internal memory.  Use your forward and rewind keys to scroll and select a song you want to add to the Favorite list.  Once you have found a song, push the play/select button and hold for a second or two.  A blue box will then appear with the heading "Add to Favorite".  Press the play/select button again, and this should add the song to your favorite list.  To check, just go to the "My Favorite" line, and then push play/select to see your list...  A bit awkward, I know, but this is the process...  It looks like you have already figured out how to delete songs from the list...

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #522 of 1,351
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you would not be able to tell a difference in the sound between the HOs of the new modified 770C, I just meant that the difference was much more noticeable on the 770 and original 770C with more original firmware versions.  In fact, I really enjoy the Bright HO on the 770 and original 770C more than the Bright HO on the modified 770C... The sound just has a more powerful, fun feel to it (if this makes sense)...So, I have put older firmware back on my 770 and original 770C.   With the newest firmware upgrades for the 770 and original 770C, the Bright HO is very, very similar to the Bright HO on the new modified 770C.  I do like the new modified 770C as well, but it is nice to have more than a few options when it comes to different music styles/genres....

Interesting. I have the orig 770 and the orig fw, and I've never stopped enjoying the bright HO. So I suppose I'll just leave good enough alone!

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #523 of 1,351
Interesting. I have the orig 770 and the orig fw, and I've never stopped enjoying the bright HO. So I suppose I'll just leave good enough alone!

Ditto. I'm not gonna invest further in amping this darn thing. I'm definitely attracted to both HOs in their original state. Though the dn2k user in new might look into options in wanting to turn down the slight sibilance just a little bit

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #524 of 1,351
  Sorry, I have not had this problem.  I have used 64 gb and 128 gb cards in my modified 770C without any problems.  I am currently using a PNY 128 gb card and all the files play without difficulty.  I did format my cards to FAT32 using the formatter recommended by Xuelin.  Here is the link to the formatter, if you want to try it out.  Good luck and I hope you can get things sorted out.  http://www.i-hifi.com/hd/guiformat(www.greenxf.com).zip

I am still strugggling with my 770. nothing is helpfull so far. it is almost a week already since I emailed twice to massdrop. they dont answer.
Already filed a Paypal claim and waiting for the response. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #525 of 1,351
  I am still strugggling with my 770. nothing is helpfull so far. it is almost a week already since I emailed twice to massdrop. they dont answer.
Already filed a Paypal claim and waiting for the response.

I'm very sorry you are still having problems.  I have never had any problems with mp3 files on any of my Xuelin players, either with internal memory or microsd cards.  Have you tried putting the mp3 files that don't appear to work with your microsd card onto the internal memory?  If so, do they play properly?  You should have gotten a VIP card with your player; this is basically your warranty card.  I know it is a pain in the rear, but if you don't hear back from Massdrop, you can always ship it back to Xuelin for a replacement..(esp if you get a refund from paypal...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back