IHIFI 760 + 770 (pg 13) + 800 (pg 25) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960
Dec 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #406 of 482
The 770 (in it's leather case) is small and light enough that I'm happy to throw it in a pocket and forget about it... until I want to get at it (ie press the pause button). Then it's the irritating "dig into the pocket and get it out" routine that drives me nuts (it doesn't take much!). So I wanted quicker access to it, and since I am old school (and old lol), I was wanting to find a way to get it clipped to my belt. Viola - my old Samsung S2 holster does the trick! The 770 (in it's leather case) fits in it quite well, and seems like a pretty good solution for me for the time being at least:

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #408 of 482
  The 770 (in it's leather case) is small and light enough that I'm happy to throw it in a pocket and forget about it... until I want to get at it (ie press the pause button). Then it's the irritating "dig into the pocket and get it out" routine that drives me nuts (it doesn't take much!). So I wanted quicker access to it, and since I am old school (and old lol), I was wanting to find a way to get it clipped to my belt. Viola - my old Samsung S2 holster does the trick! The 770 (in it's leather case) fits in it quite well, and seems like a pretty good solution for me for the time being at least:

That definitely looks pretty hefty. Maybe you could take it out of the leather case in this case to make it a smaller package...

Some questions
When its in your pocket you can't press the button on top of the player to pause it?

Also, how does the leather case attach to the player? Is it actually though glue?

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #409 of 482
  That definitely looks pretty hefty. Maybe you could take it out of the leather case in this case to make it a smaller package...

Yeah, the phone case is a bit hefty for sure. The 770 without it's leather case is quite small, and in it's leather case is quite a small package as well and I like to leave the case on for protection even though it gets in the way of functionality a bit (ie you have to open it up before you can use the touch screen). If however I could find a case with a belt clip that fits the 770 alone, then I'd be really happy. Here's the 770 beside the Samsung S2 (which is smaller than the S3-S5), and the bulky S2 phone case:

Some questions
When its in your pocket you can't press the button on top of the player to pause it?

Also, how does the leather case attach to the player? Is it actually though glue?

Yes, pressing the button on the top pauses it, but I find it's still kind of tricky to do if it's buried deep into your pants pocket. That's why I like it clipped to the belt because I can then easily press that button.

There is adhesive double sided tape in the leather case that you simply stick the 770 onto.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #413 of 482
Well, not much new on the iHiFi 800 so far.  I did e-mail Xuelin to see if they might let me review the new player (on their website, www.i-HiFi.com, there appears to be a statement about obtaining reviews from 10-20 "senior user experience", date to be announced).  In any event, I thought I might qualify since I have 3 other Xuelin players.  Well, to be honest, I was surprised to even get a response, but the person who wrote back said the 800 "would not be available for 30 days".  So, long story short, I don't know if Xuelin will allow me to review the new 800 or not, but if I get a chance to review it, I'll let you know...  I am still looking forward to impressions regarding the 770c.  I'm really hoping the 770c will be a solid performer....

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #414 of 482
Well, not much new on the iHiFi 800 so far.  I did e-mail Xuelin to see if they might let me review the new player (on their website, www.i-HiFi.com, there appears to be a statement about obtaining reviews from 10-20 "senior user experience", date to be announced).  In any event, I thought I might qualify since I have 3 other Xuelin players.  Well, to be honest, I was surprised to even get a response, but the person who wrote back said the 800 "would not be available for 30 days".  So, long story short, I don't know if Xuelin will allow me to review the new 800 or not, but if I get a chance to review it, I'll let you know...  I am still looking forward to impressions regarding the 770c.  I'm really hoping the 770c will be a solid performer....

I will compare the 770C to the Cowon J3. That's a good start.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #415 of 482

Jeez, I hope you do get to review the 800. If it wasn't for you, there would be almost no info on the 770 in the English speaking world lol. They should for sure be thanking you by sending you an 800 to review!

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #416 of 482
Thanks, Wayne's World.  You are way too kind.   Xuelin does appear to have a large Asian market and they will have released 4 players over the past year: 960 Dual Dac version, 770, 770c, and (presumably) the 800.  I hope their marketing people recognize the potential North American market and attempt to reach out to some of us in the West for early reviews.  But I guess that is up to them.  But, as I've said before, I have really enjoyed the Xuelin sound and I hope they keep putting out affordable high-sound quality players....

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #417 of 482
Well I just got the 770c and I'm putting my music on it.

It looks just as awesome as I expected!

impressions coming out soon.

But first I need to see if I need to update my firmware or not...

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #418 of 482
Well I just got the 770c and I'm putting my music on it.

It looks just as awesome as I expected!

impressions coming out soon.

But first I need to see if I need to update my firmware or not...

As I posted on the other thread (770 and 770C), the firmware in the 770C has a different nomenclature than in the 770, but I think the functionality of the two is otherwise identical.  The firmware in the 770C is 770C-8718_v1.02, while in the 770, the latest version is ihifi_v2.02.  I would imagine that you can put the ihifi_v2.02 in your 770C, but you may not notice any difference (except you will lose 2 screen display options, which may or may not be an issue.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #420 of 482
  Which is better? the 770 or 812V2?

I think you might want to consider this issue a little bit differently.  The 812V2 was one of the first DAPs in the current line of Xuelin players.  It has been out for over 2 years.  There are some nice reviews of the 812V2 in Head Fi, and overall the reviews were positive.  But you have to keep in mind that the 812V2 was released even before the first version of the 960.  Over the past 1-2 yrs, the 960 has been modified twice, whereas the 812V2 has not been changed at all.  Additionally, the 812V2 was essentially the precursor for the 960.  I'm not trying to suggest that the 812V2 is not a good DAP, I just think that attempts to improve the Xuelin players in any way have not involved the 812V2.  The 812V2 is as large as the 960, but it does not have some of the features that the 960 has (dual core, coax out, thinner analog dial, firmware upgrade, etc).  The 770 models were Xuelin's more recent attempt to maintain high-quality sound in a smaller, more stylish package.  I feel that the 770 is currently more popular than the 812V2, so most likely Xuelin will continue to support the 770 for some time to come.  With the emerging 800 model due to be released sometime later this yr, the 812V2 may eventually be discontinued.  The 800 model represents a major shift for Xuelin in terms of style and components, so the future for the 812V2 appears limited to me.  As you know, Xuelin has already discontinued the 760.  So, to finally get to my point:  If I were to start over with the Xuelin players (knowing what I do now), I would either wait on the 800 model to come out or if I felt I needed a very nice DAP for a nice price before the 800 is released, then I would buy the 770C.

In regards to vendors for the Xuelin products...  I would strongly recommend that you buy from a very reputable vendor.  For a very personal reference, I would only trust Penon Audio or bigbargainonline on eBay (same seller).  If you have a problem with the player that you receive, you can bet your life that Penon Audio will do what it takes to make things right...  I bought my initial 960 from another vendor on eBay (before I was aware of Penon Audio) because I could get it for less money; turned out to be a major mistake.  I have personally not had good luck trying to work directly with Xuelin, but Penon Audio has provided a great "bridge" between me and the company when I have needed help.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back