iGrado vs KSC75 vs ?
Jun 27, 2007 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mindouglas

New Head-Fier
My KSC75 got all tore up and now one side doesn't work. (The cable just split around the wire in various places and I never taped up the tears so eventually the wire frayed and broke) I used them A LOT with my Dell DJ and I liked them. But I could never get them close enough to my ear so bass never sounded great. The way they clip on they were always a few centimeters off my ear. I since resorted back to my Koss IEM that I bought like 3 years ago which actually don't sound to bad, but don't hold a candle to the KSC75. I have no idea what model the IEMs are ... they were $20 at Best Buy. I didn't know anything about good cans back then.

I started riding my bike to work so I began looking again. I read some more fanboy reviews of the KSC75 and looked at some comments on the iGrado. There;s a big price difference between the two. But I'm willing to pay $50 for a good pair of cans I can bike with.

With that said what are some other opinions? I want something that has good bass, fits nicely, and hopefully won't fall apart ... although I think that's mostly under my control
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for any help!

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 22
I ride my bicycle 10 miles per day with the iGrados and have never had a problem with them slipping or falling off. The plastic headband is tough as nails and I've accidently caught the wires and had them rip off my head a few times. No damage.

Soundwise, the iGrados are more lush compared to the KSC75s. The 75s sound thin and analytical. The iGrados are a little darker but still have more detail than the 75s. Bass is better and not as boomy. They don't have that "cheap" feel to them either.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 22
What about the JVC marshmallows? Even though they are an IEM, how do they compair to the iGrado and 75's?

I am in a similar spot. I have the se310's and I dont want to exercise with them just mainly due to their cost and I would like to respect them rather than sweat all over them. So I am in the market for something. I have recently listened to the marshmallow's and for $20 i was rather surprised at their sound. I guess i expected something along the lines of the ipod earbud, but they seem to be a step or two above that.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mindouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My KSC75 got all tore up and now one side doesn't work. (The cable just split around the wire in various places and I never taped up the tears so eventually the wire frayed and broke)

Does the Koss life time warranty apply here?

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 22
where do I take them for the warranty, don't I have to mail them? I know Koss used to accept them at any Koss retailer like monster cable but idk if that holds true today.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the JVC marshmallows? Even though they are an IEM, how do they compair to the iGrado and 75's?

I am in a similar spot. I have the se310's and I dont want to exercise with them just mainly due to their cost and I would like to respect them rather than sweat all over them. So I am in the market for something. I have recently listened to the marshmallow's and for $20 i was rather surprised at their sound. I guess i expected something along the lines of the ipod earbud, but they seem to be a step or two above that.

I have the se310 also and wear them to work, at work, while biking etc. I would not worry too much about destroying them. Great iem. But the cable has stiffened somewhat. This only happens to a few people though.

But if you want to save them and get something cheaper the JVC's are not that bad...

Ply

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 22
Ignore

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There not in the same league IMHO at least, the marshmallows reminded me allot of the AKG K26P. The bass is kinda bloated, mids and highs recessed, I did burn them in for 100 hours using Pink Noise not much change.

Other issues I had with the marshmallow, cable microphonics, and I guess I'm just not an IEM person. I couldn't take the isolation, you can hear every foot stop, and your heart beating lol.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There not in the same league IMHO at least, the marshmallows reminded me allot of the AKG K26P. The bass is kinda bloated, mids and highs recessed, I did burn them in for 100 hours using Pink Noise not much change.

Other issues I had with the marshmallow, cable microphonics, and I guess I'm just not an IEM person. I couldn't take the isolation, you can hear every foot stop, and your heart beating lol.

you neeed to wear all iems around the ear or else you get this problem. the marshmallows microphonics are indeed horrible normally, but wearing them a la shure make them very good, better than e2c because of the housing.

another contender in the price range is the mylarones. what else are you looking for? too much isolation might be bad.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 22
I say get another pair of KSC75 and send the broken ones back to Koss, that way you'll have a back up pair. There really hard to beat for the price and can't beat the warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:
Here is the warranty info on Koss's page

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you neeed to wear all iems around the ear or else you get this problem. the marshmallows microphonics are indeed horrible normally, but wearing them a la shure make them very good, better than e2c because of the housing.

I didn't keep them long enough to try that, the isolation was a huge issue. I don't know if it's my ears or because of the isolation and hearing my foot steps on my walk, but my hearing was muffled for hours after I took them out and I barely had any volume to them. I don't like my music loud.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Give PX100's a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back