igrado problem
Mar 18, 2007 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,

I got a set of igrados with the first run in September, and have used them heavily since then (about 2 to 5 hours per day). About 3 weeks ago I started having trouble with the right channel. It would go in and out and require me to wiggle the plug a big. About one week ago it finally went. I am assuming from the plug wiggling that it isn't the dirver, but has something to do with the cable. Do I just need to recable them? If so, has anyone done this yet? I can recable a pair of HD580s, because I have the connectors and its pretty easy. I don't even know how to begin with these.

Thanks a ton,

Target

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
You might be able to get away with just cutting off the plug and soldering a new one on. I would try to find where exactly the break in the cable is.. sounds like it is probably where the stress relief is at the plug. Beware that the current cable probably has some really small wires.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Perfect reason to recable isn't it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 7
I would definitely like to just do a full recable. Is it much more difficult in a case such as this where I have to rip the cable out of the cans rather than just disconnect the connecters? Is there a reference as to how to do this more complicated procedure? I've looked through the sticky's (admittedly about a year ago), and if I recall they walk throughs all deal with recabling where you are only building a cable with connecters on both sides.

Thanks,

Mark

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely like to just do a full recable. Is it much more difficult in a case such as this where I have to rip the cable out of the cans rather than just disconnect the connecters? Is there a reference as to how to do this more complicated procedure? I've looked through the sticky's (admittedly about a year ago), and if I recall they walk throughs all deal with recabling where you are only building a cable with connecters on both sides.

Thanks,

Mark

While not directly applicable, my guide to beyer recabling may be of use(in my sig). Have you soldered before?

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Not myself, but I have a friend that has quite extensively (he's an electrical engineer), and he's willing to help. Thanks for the thread, I'll read through it this evening.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back