iGrado - Is this for real?
Jul 20, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 346
Yeah... those look... pretty trashy...

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 346
Those are ugly as hell, there is no way I'm buying them, even after waiting a year for them to come out. Making ugly products might work on idiotic audiophiles but it will totally bomb on the mass market.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 346
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Btw, it looks a bit bulky to me. The prototype was smaller (if not as polished) and supposedly used a new (not SR60) driver.

Actually, the Streetstyle prototype did use an SR60 driver.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 346
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Nothing about it on the Grado website...

Not true. On the "Updates" page of the Grado website it says:

Quote:

Grado street style phones, will be shipping September 1st.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 346
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok

Tell me again why I would want to buy the streetstyles instead of the SR-60s? The SR-60s are only ~$10 more??

Have you had longer hair and tried to wear your SR-60s/MS-1's outside on a walk...and what happens to your cans when you look up/down..they want to fall off..right?
These may be used for exercise or at least long boarding or skating...which is cool..Also with the new design of the back screen there over the drivers, it looks like the SS may be less prone to sun damage or light sprinkles from the rain...maybe..just a guess.

They are not as shiny in person I bet, in looking at the black pair, there is quite a bit of light retracting from the surface, as they bear rounded edges and smoother lines, which reflect more light maybe?

I will check them out, Todd *ahem* are these ready for preorder yet?

wink.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 346
I dont find them ugly at all.

but damnit, why did they have to go and put the obligatory "i" in front of it? marketing whores. I cant stand the ipod marketing craze.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 346
yeah, what's with the knobby thing? perhaps to hold the can against your temple? it's going to look like some kind of steve-jobsian mind-control device: like the bald guy on lando calrisian's planet (help me out here fellow dorks).

no sir, i don't like it.

edit: on second thought, I'm getting a pair and modding some LED's into those knobs. bling bling!

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 346
Most Grado fans should not give a damn what they look like.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #24 of 346
Maybe it's just me but when I think portable (hense the name "street style") open seems like a pretty poor idea. and yes they look kinda lame

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 346
I do like the way they look.

But that name needs to change. iGrado isn't going to fly with consumers.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #28 of 346
First, I think they look cool.

Second, since when did any self-respecting audiophile give a damn how their headphones looked? Especially in public?

600smile.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 346
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
It could sound like a bowl of awesome, but it'd fail with mainstream iPod owners because it looks like a bowl of turds.

Now I'm hungry for a big steaming bowl of awesome...DAMN IT akwok!
wink.gif

Yeah they're not sexy and do look quite cheap....I imagine the name iGrado will at least get the initial reaction of the iPod croud...perhaps iLounge and so forth. It's a cheap marketing ploy, but at this point practically everything has the "i" prefix so....oh well. I've seen the old SR-40s and they are much better looking.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #30 of 346
Honestly, I think "Grado Streetstyles" would have been so much cooler. 'iGrado" just invites ridicule.

Ok, aside from the very plasticky look, let's get down the business.

How are we gonna mod this thing?
very_evil_smiley.gif

1)First thing - wires come from each driver. Excellent. Can you say Balanced?
wink.gif

2)That wide joint that attaches the driver to the headband could be modded to be a swingarm, thus making it both streetstyle and conventional over the head style
smily_headphones1.gif

3)Looks like comfies on there. Here come the ugly Senn 414 VWAP pads! Yellow pads and white iGrado, lovely combo!

4)The grilles look a bit tepid. Let's put some badass bathtub strainers on there and help out the airflow!

Final thoughts - well, you know I gotta get one. I have a sealed portable (K81DJ), an open normal band (The Burninator), clips (KSC-75) and I don't like buds or IEMs. The only issue I have with streetstyles is that you can't lie down with em (oh, and they are a bit scratchy on the back of your neck on hot days).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back