iFi Zen Stream: Setup, Tips, Tricks...
Mar 11, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #871 of 1,569
I have used both a USB hard drive and a 512Gb thumb drive. Mostly FLAC but some hires DSD. Can't say about the other formats you mention. It is much faster accessing files from the thumb drive. I use the iFi app on my Android and an iPad for this access. Seems to work fine but directory structure can't be too deep as I recall. The iFi section on web radio stations is fun too. Tidal also works well for me but often I have to attempt a connect, unconnect and reconnect to get it running. Then it's good for the session.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #872 of 1,569
I'm considering purchasing a Zen Stream, but I need to know some things that no one has addressed yet. I'd like to use it as a music server as well as a streamer by connecting a 2TB SSD drive which contains files in FLAC, MP3, OPUS, WAV, WMA, M4A, DSF, and OGG. With OPUS and FLAC the most prevalent. Would anyone know A) is the Zen compatible with all these formats, and B) will it allow for searching (preferably by folder) and playing the files via an Android app. Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Having owned a ZS for over one year, and having kept up with several threads on different forums, I’d suggest not deviating from the Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Roon or NAA lanes. Do so at your own peril.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #873 of 1,569
Having owned a ZS for over one year, and having kept up with several threads on different forums, I’d suggest not deviating from the Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Roon or NAA lanes. Do so at your own peril.
Sounds like sage advice. I'm currently using Daphile music server on a dedicated computer that does everything I need. Maybe I should stick with that? Upgrade-itis is a powerful disease.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #874 of 1,569
I'm considering purchasing a Zen Stream, but I need to know some things that no one has addressed yet. I'd like to use it as a music server as well as a streamer by connecting a 2TB SSD drive which contains files in FLAC, MP3, OPUS, WAV, WMA, M4A, DSF, and OGG. With OPUS and FLAC the most prevalent. Would anyone know A) is the Zen compatible with all these formats, and B) will it allow for searching (preferably by folder) and playing the files via an Android app. Any information would be helpful, thanks.
I have ZS and i am using it to play flacs from ssd hdd (512gb).
I have big problems with the device to load all the folders, I sent dozens of messages to the customer service, which eventually stopped responding. The problem is with Volumi, which should be upgraded, but they are unable or unwilling to do so, when you ask them, the answer is that they have no plans to do so at all, so I seriously started thinking about selling it and buying an Auralic Femto.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #875 of 1,569
Sounds like sage advice. I'm currently using Daphile music server on a dedicated computer that does everything I need. Maybe I should stick with that? Upgrade-itis is a powerful disease.
It’s a wonderful streamer, but a woefully inadequate music server. For your intended use, just say no.

I realize iFi is paying the bills, but I would love for iFi/ Abbington Music Research (the high end parent company) to try their hand at a more upmarket standalone streamer/ music server ala Lumin or Aurender.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #876 of 1,569
It’s a wonderful streamer, but a woefully inadequate music server. For your intended use, just say no.

I realize iFi is paying the bills, but I would love for iFi/ Abbington Music Research (the high end parent company) to try their hand at a more upmarket standalone streamer/ music server ala Lumin or Aurender.
Thanks so much Dancing Sea and twrr, you've saved me $400! Those are the kind of answers I was looking for.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #877 of 1,569
I have ZS and i am using it to play flacs from ssd hdd (512gb).
I have big problems with the device to load all the folders, I sent dozens of messages to the customer service, which eventually stopped responding. The problem is with Volumi, which should be upgraded, but they are unable or unwilling to do so, when you ask them, the answer is that they have no plans to do so at all, so I seriously started thinking about selling it and buying an Auralic Femto.
I've been using mine with a much larger HDD containing just over 2T of music (flac, dsd and a few mp3). Other than the initial load time (which was reasonable due the number of tracks), I've never had a problem. Even after I've added new albums, it's ready to play in under a minute. Their firmware and the app they have might be dated but it works fine for most of their customers so I don't see a need for them to update it. Newer doesn't always equate to better IMO.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #878 of 1,569
Thanks so much Dancing Sea and twrr, you've saved me $400! Those are the kind of answers I was looking for.
You might want to reconsider. It's a case of two very new posters vs the majority of satisfied users. Just my opinion as I have no skin in the game,

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #880 of 1,569
Peace.

Just wanted to point out that research and homework far outweigh the opinions of a few (including myself although not sure if I actually gave an opinion). The fact that my (and many others) experience with the product was opposite of yours, well ... As to your questions, only you and your friends can answer those. I was going to go back and add that I'm a newb as well, but didn't see a need since the only comment I offered was to reconsider until more research was done and that advice comes with age not online history :)

The internet is a wonderful resource if used carefully. I've found that it can be a bit dangerous as there are some out there who are paid to promote or denigrate a particular product. Not accusing anyone in particular, just commenting.

Edited to correct a noticeable grammar error. Oops

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #881 of 1,569
Peace.

Just wanted to point out that research and homework far outweigh the opinions of a few (including myself although not sure if I actually gave an opinion). The fact that my (and many others) experience with the product was opposite of yours, well ... As to your questions, only you and your friends can answer those. I was going to go back and add that I'm a newb as well, but didn't see a need since the only comment I offered was to reconsider until more research was done and that advice comes with age not online history :)

The internet is a wonderful resource if used carefully. I've found that it can be a bit dangerous as there are some out there who are paid to promote or denigrate a particular product. Not accusing anyone in particular, just commenting.

Edited to correct a noticeable grammar error. Oops

There is an EXTENSIVE ZenStream thread on the Roon forums documenting a mind boggling long list of bugs and hassles associated with using the ZS as a music server, or even as a streamer. All but a few YouTube reviewers write the ZenStream off as not being ready for prime time due to the woes of Volumio. For me, it has been very stable only when used for Tidal/ Spotify Connect, Roon and NAA. Step beyond that and it’s trouble.

I have thousands of posts on the Hoffman, Roon, Audiophile Style, and PS Audio forums. Your assertion that I might be paid to denigrate the ZS are absurd. I have bought a $600 Farad LPS, a $550 Curious Evolved USB cable, a $400 Shunyata power cable, and a $270 Audio Art coax cable to go with my ZenStream. I think extremely highly of it as a streamer. And as I‘ve posted in this very thread, I returned an Aurender N100H in favor of the ZenStream.

My stated and demonstrated affection for the ZenStream does not magically erase - in my opinion - the beta like state of Volumio. You’re very welcome to disagree, to see it differently. I fail to see how insinuating fraud contributes to the tone and quality of the discussion.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #882 of 1,569
Cool. Thanks.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #883 of 1,569
Edited to remove 'snarky' comment.

Replaced with a simple: sigh

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #884 of 1,569
Some people say that reading large amounts of folders from an external disk works for them, it doesn't work for me, I have an Elite12V power supply, Sbooster Mk2, Hdplex 100w, I tried several disks and usb sticks with different formatting, it just doesn't work, but most of all it bothers me that they dont want to upgrade Volumio.
The same thing happened on RPI 4 until the Volumio upgrade came and since then it reads everything in seconds. The team from IFI deals with devices like lan silencer :))
but they are not able to copy what was done on ordinary Volumio.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #885 of 1,569
All of the opinions expressed here are valid and important, but the reality is some folks cannot be helped in regard to an individual issue they may be having because the reality is also that if the vast majority of users either (do or do not) have that particular issue, it's impossible to change something for one that may negatively affect many.

For instance, @twrr and @DancingSea Have pointed out issues with using Hard drives or thumb drives for music playback and point to forums stating issues with this. I can also point to many who have no issues with this, and the reality is that most who do not have issues are searching out forums to post on to share their success stories. So forums can tend to be a bit one-sided at times, and not an indication of the overall state of something.

In terms of @twrr many, many times on this thread only you have made this same complaint, and I have asked you personally at many points about your folder structure, file types, and drive type, and you continue to post about your power supplies, and the fact that you had the exact same issue with a previous version of volumio on your RPI, so I should ask why you decided to buy another streamer with that type of Volumio, but I suspect that I will just get your other common response which is "iFi needs to update Volumio" to the one that works for you. I have also asked you to please stop "bashing" iFi as a company as set forth in my very first post of this thread to please not do, but you continue, yet refuse to reach out to the main thread (which I have also pleaded with you) for others help with your issue.

You also started posting here in November of last year with the same issue over and over, I believe you should still be under warranty and should be able to reach someone regarding such a serious duplicatable issue, but yet we in no way see any evidence that "iFi Just stopped talking to me", I am sorry as I am not buying that, is a common theme.

I even at one point asked you to add folders one by one until you come across the offending folder that is "stopping" the loading of all your music. No response to that either that I am aware of, yes I know that's quite a task.

So all in all I wish I could help you, but if you are not willing to accept that different streamers work in different ways, and some have systems that will work for you and not others, I guess I can't help either, and 31 posts in the same forum in the same form with the same content aren't going to help you either.

I have a mere 70gb of ripped and legally purchased files on my drive, a 500gb Samsung T7 and T5 SSD all in FLAC format, both of those drives are self-powered and require no external power source.
Both of those drives work flawlessly with both my ZS and NS, and are either FAT32 or ExFat formatted with a folder structure of CDRips>Artists>Albums with everything nested properly within.

That's about all I can say about it, I encourage you to read up on Volumio file folders and header structures, but in my personal (Not business) opinion I have read enough of the iFi attacks, but you are free to do as you will and so am I.

Thanks!!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back