iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Jul 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,039 of 1,760
I have iDAC2 in combination with Schiit Magni3 and Loki Mini and I am considering replacing my setup with ZEN DAC V2 and ZEN CAN.
Dont need Loki Mini as i mostly use Equalizer Apo.

Is ZEN DAC V2 as good as iDAC2? Or is this step back in terms of SQ?
Thanks.

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,040 of 1,760
I have iDAC2 in combination with Schiit Magni3 and Loki Mini and I am considering replacing my setup with ZEN DAC V2 and ZEN CAN.
Dont need Loki Mini as i mostly use Equalizer Apo.

Is ZEN DAC V2 as good as iDAC2? Or is this step back in terms of SQ?
Thanks.
What's your preferred sound profile? Zen stack is generally warm and has some native distortion - this isn't bad, its just its sound profile.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,041 of 1,760
Alllllrightttyyy! So Zen DAC v2 -> Zen CAN w/ balanced is hooked up. More problem! I decided to wait on posting anything because there are 2 ways this is going. Either i am *extremely* unlucky - or - there is something else going on. I’ll start with this - all is well w/ 1/4” output. So, there’s still distortion coming out of the right-channel for 4.4mm balanced out on the DAC. Expecting things to change, I add the amp into the mix. Now instead of static - I‘m having an issue w/ the completely cutting out! No way, right? I tested the Rear 4.4mm out on the DAC. R-channel static. Next I tried running the FiiO M11 balanced to the CAN (thinking maybe these problems are all due to another bad DAC)… still cutting out. Then I thought I’d try bypassing the balanced out and using RCAs. Again, audio cutting out. Now I’m thinking - how can this be? The audio is great over the 1/4” output, on both units. However I bought these, largely, for the balanced connection. I’m thinkin, could it be the Sundara’s? I don’t think so, the initial static changed cups when I swapped the cables. Could it be the balanced cable I just bought? It sounds great thru my FiiO M11.

Well, like I said. I decided to wait instead of just poppin off. I already had some new headphones & another set of balanced cables coming my way. (Thank you AudiophileNinja for fast shipping, the cables arrived and look great!) Anyways, plugged these into my Sundara’s and poof! All my issues seem to be gone! Getting some great sound out of both the DAC & CAN. I only had enough time to ‘test’ things when I got home from work today, so I’m lookin forward to gettin to see how this really sounds!

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,043 of 1,760
What's your preferred sound profile? Zen stack is generally warm and has some native distortion - this isn't bad, its just its sound profile.
I want warmer sound.
But is ZEN DAC V2 just as good DAC as iDAC2 or is iDAC 2 still better option in terms of SQ not sound signature?

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,044 of 1,760
I want warmer sound.
But is ZEN DAC V2 just as good DAC as iDAC2 or is iDAC 2 still better option in terms of SQ not sound signature?
So

1) DACv2 solves some issues that v1 had as best as I can tell, the most notable being that there was evident noise when DACv1 ran without a linear power supply. That seems (at least for me) to no longer be an issue. The upgrade of the XMOS chip to allow for full on device MQA decoding is a thing, if you are into Tidal/MQA. Also, the LED light is nicer. Otherwise the sound signature is largely the same, as the Burr-Brown chip hasn't changed. This changes with firmware (GTO.) One thing to note is that there is an audible click that is still present as bitrates change. Its annoying, but I have gotten used to it. iFi has done little to address the issue in firmware.

2) Personally, I find the DAC is not the rockstar in the arrangement, although its good. The Zen CAN is the component that brings the power and warmth that makes the difference. If you can find a DAC with low noise through single ended RCA, you can use any DAC. If you are hard core "I must have balanced" then the Zen DACv2 is the obvious choice. That said, I have historically been running the Tone2 Pro through the CAN and the sound is incredible. I recently changed this, as I bought the Drop THX 789 - in effect I have two stacks - Zen Stack for windows and Khadas Tone2 Pro/Drop THX 789 using Khadas balanced RCA for Mac.

If I am listening to hip-hop and want soul shaking clean bass, then I turn to the Zen Stack (AKA the "hype stack") If I want Apple music, or I am listening for detail, resolution and imaging (its incredible) then its Tone/THX. More often than not I am on the Tone/THX stack because I find Apple Music to be amazing.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,045 of 1,760
Thank you for good explanation.
I will think about it.
There is no audible click on my iDAC2 when bitrate changes as i remember. Hmm...

Maybe i will sell my current setup and go with ZEN DAC V2 and ZEN CAN as i WANT warmer sound sig.
Thanks.
MQA is not important to me.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,047 of 1,760
Fresh off the press - ifi Zen CAN review by that absolute Rockstar Amir at Audioscience

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-can-review-headphone-amp.25224/

I find the whole cult of Amir on ASR tiresome and slightly suspect. Measurements are interesting but can’t tell you how something sounds.
The whole forum gleefully slags off western companies like ifi and schiit whilst wilfully ignoring the poor service and support of some of the main chi-if companies.

Both the Zen Dac and Can are excellent products. And I prefer the looks over boring black boxes with crappy displays and UI re: smsl et al.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #1,048 of 1,760
Alllllrightttyyy! So Zen DAC v2 -> Zen CAN w/ balanced is hooked up. More problem! I decided to wait on posting anything because there are 2 ways this is going. Either i am *extremely* unlucky - or - there is something else going on. I’ll start with this - all is well w/ 1/4” output. So, there’s still distortion coming out of the right-channel for 4.4mm balanced out on the DAC. Expecting things to change, I add the amp into the mix. Now instead of static - I‘m having an issue w/ the completely cutting out! No way, right? I tested the Rear 4.4mm out on the DAC. R-channel static. Next I tried running the FiiO M11 balanced to the CAN (thinking maybe these problems are all due to another bad DAC)… still cutting out. Then I thought I’d try bypassing the balanced out and using RCAs. Again, audio cutting out. Now I’m thinking - how can this be? The audio is great over the 1/4” output, on both units. However I bought these, largely, for the balanced connection. I’m thinkin, could it be the Sundara’s? I don’t think so, the initial static changed cups when I swapped the cables. Could it be the balanced cable I just bought? It sounds great thru my FiiO M11.

Well, like I said. I decided to wait instead of just poppin off. I already had some new headphones & another set of balanced cables coming my way. (Thank you AudiophileNinja for fast shipping, the cables arrived and look great!) Anyways, plugged these into my Sundara’s and poof! All my issues seem to be gone! Getting some great sound out of both the DAC & CAN. I only had enough time to ‘test’ things when I got home from work today, so I’m lookin forward to gettin to see how this really sounds!

I have the same setup. I think you should raise a ifi support ticket. There is definitely something not right.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,049 of 1,760
I find the whole cult of Amir on ASR tiresome and slightly suspect. Measurements are interesting but can’t tell you how something sounds.
The whole forum gleefully slags off western companies like ifi and schiit whilst wilfully ignoring the poor service and support of some of the main chi-if companies.

Both the Zen Dac and Can are excellent products. And I prefer the looks over boring black boxes with crappy displays and UI re: smsl et al.
Apologize for creating the conditions for exhausting you. The cult will make a more concerted effort to not tire you out with alternative sources of data while it is dutifully fulfilling its edict. Notably, members of the cult are typically ranked on how often they can get people to troll and say things like “measurements are interesting but can’t tell you how somethings sounds.” (it’s a source of pride.. ) Also notably, I went up three cult ranks of thanks to you. Just passed @boblovesdatamorethanyou. We get mega bonus points if we can get someone to chirp in and say something ridiculously cliché that indicates extreme intellectual prowess like “describing how something sounds with words is like describing how something tastes - I can tell you, but you won’t know until you experience it.”

You could do me a favour and throw that one in there next time.

Also, technically, measurements tell you exactly how it sounds.. (sigh.. those details…) They don’t tell you whether you like it or not. For some, this data can be used to inform meaningful decisions on purchases, as they know what their tastes are and can align their preferences with the measurements. These people understand these correlations and use them in an informative, but NOT definitive way. Correlation after all, does != causation. (Where causation is presumed to be directed by measurement…)

I know right??? WHO DOES THAT? I mean….get multiple sources of data... compare value propositions/risks... Just go buy gear in the middle of a pandemic! Stop whining about how you can’t listen to it and test it out… and what’s wrong with all these people wanting data and measurement?? Just get past all that and make a decision based on OTHER single reviewer biases and preferences - especially the ones who declare other reviewers as being "suspect" without contributing anything substantial. What do you mean you don’t have money just sitting around and time to test? You aren’t a professional reviewer? And what’s with all this testing equipment…

Just keep returning it until you find something that works… OR read all the reviews by people who WANT their gear to be the best and just shut up and take their opinion as gospel…

Clearly Amir exists to frustrate people such as yourself…the cult is evidently is evil....

Sorry,.. you must have fell asleep through that. TL;DR - its data - LIKE EVERY OTHER REVIEW. It isn't out to get you, and can't change your mind any more than you let it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back