iFi Micro iDSD Black Label worth it? Do you use Portable DAC/AMP at home?
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Caguioa

100+ Head-Fier
to use it on the go and at home listening.

planning on these to go with my Fiio M11 on the go, but I also consider Oppo Ha-2 but the micro idsd seems better for what it can do for at home.

For at home listening
I used my brother Astro Amp (gaming amp)

but want to expand to something that's portable and to use at home and can run my cans aswel.

my other headphones include
Shure 846
ATH m50x
Hd800S

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Black Label is great, I've run all my headphones on it (HD800S, Utopia, Elear, Meze 99) and the only pairing I don't like is the Meze 99 because it sounds too dark together. I'm using it off my laptop right now and just did extensive testing last night against my Brooklyn DAC + / Pro iCan rig, honestly it sounds almost as good. In fact, I'll be selling my Brooklyn and iCan because I need to raise some cash, but I feel I'm not losing that much with the Black Label.

Also, I have the Oppo Ha-2 sitting in a drawer for 2 years collecting dust. I'd pass on that one, many better alternatives at that price point (Dragonfly Red for instance).

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Black Label is great, I've run all my headphones on it (HD800S, Utopia, Elear, Meze 99) and the only pairing I don't like is the Meze 99 because it sounds too dark together. I'm using it off my laptop right now and just did extensive testing last night against my Brooklyn DAC + / Pro iCan rig, honestly it sounds almost as good. In fact, I'll be selling my Brooklyn and iCan because I need to raise some cash, but I feel I'm not losing that much with the Black Label.

Also, I have the Oppo Ha-2 sitting in a drawer for 2 years collecting dust. I'd pass on that one, many better alternatives at that price point (Dragonfly Red for instance).
I double this, especially the part about the HA-2... IMO the Micro iDSD BL is endgame mid-range desktop dac-amp. On the go is a different story though; it sucks carrying around a brick. I use my BL with my Oppo Pm3 and Massdrop HE4xx btw; I turn on Turbo and XBass for ultimate wubz :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Best cost to audio quality gear.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 18
I been sitting here stunned for the last nearly 24 hrs. I got my ifi dsd micro black yesterday at like 1pm. I no joke listened to music for 12 straight hours and had to force myself to go to bed. Using ie 800's I was blown utterly away quality wise. I was using LG G6 which actually isn't bad at giving nice sound. But my goodness did the black take it to whole other level I never knew existed. I have a $2200 Marantz pre/pro thought I was living live in high end have $2400 Paradigm full standing Studio 100's v3. Thought it was fine...while nice sure there was WHOLE other level , whole other level. I this morning having woke up now have it hooked up to my main full system and yep lil extra level.

As many say it is a lil on the big side for portable but right now I'm willing to haul it wherever at this point.....stunning.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 18
I am following this thread with interest . My Auralic Taurus is away being repaired and I may sell it when I get it back as it does not get used much.
I am not sure I need a desktop set up as I am moving to a detached property. So my headphone use will be less so I am thinking about ifi BL as a replacement .
I don’t need it for portable use, but maybe to use in the bedroom or something As usual in this hobby I am maybe scared to lose the quality sound I get from the Taurus ........oh the dilemma :)

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 18
I am following this thread with interest . My Auralic Taurus is away being repaired and I may sell it when I get it back as it does not get used much.
I am not sure I need a desktop set up as I am moving to a detached property. So my headphone use will be less so I am thinking about ifi BL as a replacement .
I don’t need it for portable use, but maybe to use in the bedroom or something As usual in this hobby I am maybe scared to lose the quality sound I get from the Taurus ........oh the dilemma :)
Its perfect

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 18
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 18
IMG_0255_hf.jpg

I use the Micro iDSD BL as my desktop rig out of my laptop using the iGalvanic, iPurifier3, and iSilencer, to enhance the USB delivery to the max! What a freaking upgrade when you clean up the USB from noise, grunge, and jitter. The Black Label functioning at it's BEST is really good! I also really like the xBass and 3D+ switches that add just enough sparkle and fun to many tracks and headphones. MQA with Tidal is amazing too with the BL.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 18
I’m just beginning to learn about audiophile sound systems and I’ve been considering buying the iFI galvanic when I get my laptop back.

Currently my set up is Senn HD660s to the BL Nano with Ipurifier3 to Audioquest Forest USB with the Isilencer to my retired iPhone 7 streaming Tidal. (Not used portably)

Is it worth getting the Micro BL or even the XDSD?

It sounds really good to me already but then again I’m a total noob seeking an easy plug and play and this is the best I’ve had so far..
BFF18792-0ACD-481D-A0EE-981D273A63F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 18
I previously owned a micro idsd black label, It was able to drive everything in my collection without even having to switch off of eco mode. I'd say maybe you might look into an upgrade if you want to have the xbass and 3d switch, also the bluetooth on the xdsd is very convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back