iFi micro iDSD Black-Label - In-Depth Review
May 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #47 of 1,056
anyone owning both IDSD BL and SONY WM-1A , which one do you like better ?

May 23, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #48 of 1,056
anyone owning both IDSD BL and SONY WM-1A , which one do you like better ?

iDSD BL would be my take on this question.

I don't it is fair to compare them, iDSD BL is a DAC / AMP and 1A is a DAP, I would use 1A as a transport for iDSD BL, but sound wise, iDSD BL can drive from ie800 to HD800S, sounds awesome with anything tried while 1A and 1Z are quiet (I need 90% - 95% of their max volume to be anywhere near satisfied with IEMs and easy to drive headphones...)

This being said, I have like a rule to not make any bad comments about any product, so if you already have 1A, just use it as a transport for iDSD BL and you'll be in audio heaven!

May 23, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #49 of 1,056
Woah, I hope it brings you lots of happiness!

A lot of people are saying that this is the next best thing and I am as curious as you are about it!!
I read a review, some people said it is about preference but some of them said iCan actually has better audio performance which has slightly warm signature "tube like". Let see how it goes!

May 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #51 of 1,056
May 26, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #52 of 1,056
iFi iDSD BL + iCan SA.
Bass wise: iCan slams harder
3D: Imaging is better on BL (iCan 3D is also good as BL if the bass switch is only at level 1)

Overall: iCan sounds warmer and fuller while BL can give better details and imaging. iCan is less fatiguing for electronic music. Get both since you can easily use both of the amps without hassle. So if u want the best from iCan, bass level 1, 3D level 2 and a bit bump on bass in eq. I said specifically for HD800.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #53 of 1,056
QUESTION:

I love BL, is it able to add iTube2 to be buffered with using iDSD BL alone?

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #54 of 1,056
QUESTION:

I love BL, is it able to add iTube2 to be buffered with using iDSD BL alone?

When using the 3.5mm Audio input on the front, most digital circuitry (including DAC) is powered down to maximize play time.

So it is not possible to "loop" the iTube or iTube 2 into the signal path of the iDSD micro ( black & silver editions) alone. It can be placed after the iDSD micro line outs to drive any other headphone amp, amplifier or active speakers though.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #55 of 1,056
Thank you for the very thorough review. Helped me get comfortable with using this to drive LCD-4.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #56 of 1,056
Any chance someone can drop an iPhone 7 on the top? I want to see a visual comparison. The iDSD BL is perfect for what I want, but its so big, probably too big for me. Unfortunately local stores don't carry so I will have to buy online. Oppo HA-2 best form factor IMO, Mojo a bit odd but I could live with it if there were a bass boost option......... Trying to decide.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #57 of 1,056
Any chance someone can drop an iPhone 7 on the top? I want to see a visual comparison. The iDSD BL is perfect for what I want, but its so big, probably too big for me. Unfortunately local stores don't carry so I will have to buy online. Oppo HA-2 best form factor IMO, Mojo a bit odd but I could live with it if there were a bass boost option......... Trying to decide.

You might / will need a sidebag if you're going to get an iDSD BL, I wouldn't imagine it as a pocketable device. On this note, if you do get a sidebag, then whether it is a Mojo or an iDSD, you're having a sidebag, so the size is less of a concern, the smallest sidebags should work with it.

The only thing you need to consider is the sound, once you do hear the sound, it is quite hard to care about the size anymore :darthsmile:

I should sped more time with HA-2 and Mojo in the future to have a better comparison about the sound, but for the moment, I am quite happy with iDSD BL and it still is the benchmark DAC/AMP I use :smile_phones:

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #58 of 1,056
Here is the iDSD BL with both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0110.JPG

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #60 of 1,056
You might / will need a sidebag if you're going to get an iDSD BL, I wouldn't imagine it as a pocketable device. On this note, if you do get a sidebag, then whether it is a Mojo or an iDSD, you're having a sidebag, so the size is less of a concern, the smallest sidebags should work with it.

The only thing you need to consider is the sound, once you do hear the sound, it is quite hard to care about the size anymore :darthsmile:

I should sped more time with HA-2 and Mojo in the future to have a better comparison about the sound, but for the moment, I am quite happy with iDSD BL and it still is the benchmark DAC/AMP I use :smile_phones:

Tried the Oppo HA-2, sadly there were connection troubles with both players.. not sure why, managed to listen to it through a Samsung, wasn't my sound type, so that's ruled out.

Mojojojo was the spot though, I felt more bass presence through it than with the bass-boost on with the HA-2.

Still haven't heard the iDSD, but the reviews are spectacular for it.

Here is the iDSD BL with both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Thanks so much RAQemUP. It's smaller than I thought, a lot smaller, I was thinking 1.5 times the size at least (I did measure but nothing beats a direct comparison). I will continue to ponder the two, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back