ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #2,252 of 2,267
Unfortuatley my Pro iCan died today :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:.

logo turns solid white (in solid state mode) and after few seconds it turns flashing red, switching it into tube/tube+ mode does not help either, the amp switches to correct mode, it takes a while for another warm up procedure and than the red light flashing returns. This happens even if amp is disconnected from any sources and outputs. It is way after warranty so any ideas what it can be and if it can be repaired. Imho this was the best amp for my Focal Clears headphone and it had this original ifi house sound not found in their newer products. @Thorsten Loesch can I kindly ask you for some tips before I engage myself with poor customer support from ifi please?

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2,253 of 2,267

logo turns solid white (in solid state mode) and after few seconds it turns flashing red, switching it into tube/tube+ mode does not help either, the amp switches to correct mode, it takes a while for another warm up procedure and than the red light flashing returns. This happens even if amp is disconnected from any sources and outputs. It is way after warranty so any ideas what it can be and if it can be repaired. Imho this was the best amp for my Focal Clears headphone and it had this original ifi house sound not found in their newer products. @Thorsten Loesch can I kindly ask you for some tips before I engage myself with poor customer support from ifi please?
Will they repair it, for a fee of course?

If so, where is iFi located?

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #2,254 of 2,267
Will they repair it, for a fee of course?

If so, where is iFi located?
Have no idea at this point. I'm traveling so I don't have time and ability to send it for a service anyway. Hopefully will do that next week. Considering ifi short lived warranties I doubt they will be willing to repair it, further more every single my communication with ifi support always ended in problem not being solved and was pure waste of time, sometimes I've got a feeling that as customer I know more and better understand how particular product work than the actually tech guy from their support :frowning2: I'll keep you guys updated.

Still great amp: Swiss army knife, master of none but with this ifi house sound I like so much.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #2,255 of 2,267
Have no idea at this point. I'm traveling so I don't have time and ability to send it for a service anyway. Hopefully will do that next week. Considering ifi short lived warranties I doubt they will be willing to repair it, further more every single my communication with ifi support always ended in problem not being solved and was pure waste of time, sometimes I've got a feeling that as customer I know more and better understand how particular product work than the actually tech guy from their support :frowning2: I'll keep you guys updated.

Still great amp: Swiss army knife, master of none but with this ifi house sound I like so much.
Interested to see where you would have to ship to.

I sent my Violectric in for repair and it is taking FOREVER! It has been in transit to me for six weeks (Germany to Canada) and still no idea when I will get it. No more European products for me.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #2,256 of 2,267

So sorry for you - Yesterday, I had a similar, although not that fatal, experience. Turned the iCan on as usual, but then after a moment, the red flash started and nothing really happened. Tried to turn it off and on a couple of times, while my heart was beating heavily. Still not working. Then I discovered that for some reason, the gain was set to +18dB. I never use that and don't know how it got to that position. After setting gain back to 0 dB, the iCan turned on as normal - phew. Today apparently everything is OK. So my bit of advice: try to reset gain......x fingers

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #2,257 of 2,267
@TooFrank mine is unfortunately dead - I've tried everything and the red logo is still flashing.

I have been contacted by a new local distributor who also provides service and a nice fellow told me the culprit could be GE tube. @Thorsten Loesch does it make sense? I need to send it to them for inspection. One thing: they requested original invoice despite the fact that my Pro iCan is way over (way too short for such expensive piece of electronics IMHO). Now I need to find it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #2,258 of 2,267
@TooFrank mine is unfortunately dead - I've tried everything and the red logo is still flashing.

I have been contacted by a new local distributor who also provides service and a nice fellow told me the culprit could be GE tube. @Thorsten Loesch does it make sense? I need to send it to them for inspection. One thing: they requested original invoice despite the fact that my Pro iCan is way over (way too short for such expensive piece of electronics IMHO). Now I need to find it.

If it is set to solid state and you still get red flashing, it means that the DC protection has kicked in. The tubes should not have any relevance in Solid state mode.

Thor.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #2,259 of 2,267
If it is set to solid state and you still get red flashing, it means that the DC protection has kicked in. The tubes should not have any relevance in Solid state mode.

Thor.
@Thorsten Loesch it kicks in regardless of selected mode and gain, happens when only PSU is connected: no inputs/outputs are being used. Do you think the service can fix it? I mean could be something trivial or do you think it is dead for good? Is there anything I could try before sending it to the service point?

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #2,260 of 2,267
@Thorsten Loesch it kicks in regardless of selected mode and gain, happens when only PSU is connected: no inputs/outputs are being used. Do you think the service can fix it? I mean could be something trivial or do you think it is dead for good? Is there anything I could try before sending it to the service point?

It should be fixable with any competent tech. I don't think there is any other thing you can do.

Thor

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2,262 of 2,267

x- fingers - good luck

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #2,264 of 2,267
The balanced XLR inputs of my (4-5 years old) iFi iCan Pro, stopped working. RCA inputs are ok.

That means no major electronic issue.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Get a tech to look, possibly a dead relay driver transistor, or solder join that did badly in the reflow machine.

Thor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back