ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jul 2, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,217 of 2,267
I'm looking in the Pro iCan manual pdf and don't see anything about output impedance. I'm now testing my ZMF Auteur 300 ohm cans via the balanced XLR output and find that the sound is a bit more euphonic on mid gain (+ 9 dB) but my volume pot setting is barely 9 o'clock. Dialing back to low-gain I can get the volume pot between 10-12 as iFi suggests to minimize digital attenuation and channel imbalance, but the sound thins a bit with less note weight and musicality. Tube state is yet another variable I'm still sorting out. I've read that high impedance cans may shine more with high impedance output sources, but I'm sure there are many other variables. That said, my "fact" question is:

What is output impedance of the Pro iCan, and does it vary with gain settings / solid state versus tube settings?

Thanks for any info.

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,218 of 2,267
I want to ask about DAC for pro ican. please tell me about your experience, which DAC is the best results for pro ican and hd800s ?
I currently use idsd silver +pro Ican +hd800si

I can pretty definitively answer that question, having observed my good friend referring to the Pro iCAN / Pro iDSD kit as his 'wife'--my goodness--which I took to mean a lasting and loving arrangement

My friend is quite the audiophile. He has about a dozen headphones, including the HD800s, along with 5 amps, mostly driven by tubes, some of which he has personally assembled from scratch.

None of his gear has every sold me on the idea of the HD800s. I own the Denon AH-D7200 headphones, which deliver bass without any effort. We're talking opposite ends of the spectrum, my friend and . The Sennheiser HD800s sound stage has tremendous touch, yet it comes at a considerable cost to its bass delivery. My view changed considerably with ifi Pro. Using the Pro iCAN / Pro iDSD those headphones deliver bass that is musical and enjoyable even to my bass demanding ears. It's put put quite some strain on the friendship... The messages I get from him to come over are almost embarrassing. If you have any dignity and, admittedly, the fair amount of cash required to buy these two units I can assure you the sound it delivers will stagger any HD800s owner.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,219 of 2,267
I'm looking in the Pro iCan manual pdf and don't see anything about output impedance.

It's very low, around 2 ohms balanced.

I'm now testing my ZMF Auteur 300 ohm cans via the balanced XLR output and find that the sound is a bit more euphonic on mid gain (+ 9 dB) but my volume pot setting is barely 9 o'clock. Dialing back to low-gain I can get the volume pot between 10-12 as iFi suggests to minimize digital attenuation and channel imbalance,

The Pro iCan has no digital attenuation and the potentiometer has very tight tracking - so channel balance is no issue.

However at around 9 o'clock attenuation is very substantial and may affect the sound. It is of course possible that this is what you like about the sound like this... Feel free to experiment and choose what works for you.

but the sound thins a bit with less note weight and musicality. Tube state is yet another variable I'm still sorting out.

Jut try kicking the Pro iCan into 'Tube+' mode for a warmer and more euphonic sound.

I've read that high impedance cans may shine more with high impedance output sources,

This is what one might call an urban myth. Higher impedance headphones usually need higher drive voltage and lower current and are less affected in terms of frequency response than low impedance headphones.

To conclude, 'high impedance headphones sound better from high impedances' is an extrapolation that is false.

The correct way is to state that 'high output Impedance headphone amplifiers (e.g. Tube OTL) can only be used with high impedance headphones as they will hopelessly colour the sound of low impedance headphones, may have insufficient drive current for low impedance headphones and may clip at low volume levels as a result'.

What is output impedance of the Pro iCan, and does it vary with gain settings / solid state versus tube settings?

As we've said above, the output impedance is very low and does not vary with gain settings.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,220 of 2,267

The Pro iCan has no digital attenuation and the potentiometer has very tight tracking - so channel balance is no issue.

However at around 9 o'clock attenuation is very substantial and may affect the sound. It is of course possible that this is what you like about the sound like this... Feel free to experiment and choose what works for you.

Jut try kicking the Pro iCan into 'Tube+' mode for a warmer and more euphonic sound.

This is what one might call an urban myth. Higher impedance headphones usually need higher drive voltage and lower current and are less affected in terms of frequency response than low impedance headphones.

To conclude, 'high impedance headphones sound better from high impedances' is an extrapolation that is false.

The correct way is to state that 'high output Impedance headphone amplifiers (e.g. Tube OTL) can only be used with high impedance headphones as they will hopelessly colour the sound of low impedance headphones, may have insufficient drive current for low impedance headphones and may clip at low volume levels as a result'.

As we've said above, the output impedance is very low and does not vary with gain settings.

Thanks for your detailed answer. What is the output impedance from unbalanced outputs?

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,221 of 2,267

iFi: Very helpful and appreciated. Your presence on this forum is an asset. I will keep trying combinations of gain and amplifier mode but acknowledge it's a "champagne problem" as all sound great, just variations on a consistently enjoyable sound signature. I'm also still burning in my Auteur ( if you believe in such things) and the bass is tightening up a bit, note weight and warmth subtly better without bleeding into the mids and stellar highs. Like I said, "champagne problems"....this hobby of ours can be a never ending quest.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,222 of 2,267
I am the lucky owner of the dave/blu2 combo and abyss Phi HP's.....I have gone back and forth in terms of using an external amp or not.....I came across the pro ican and most say i am very pleasantly surprised...first of all using it single ended i am able to use the 0 DB setting and drive my abyss without breaking a sweat...the size of the unit makes it easy to place on my desk and most importantly it sounds great....i am amazed how such a compact package can be so powerful...in fact I tried it balanced and found i really didnt need all that power to my surprise....I havent yet played with all the doodads but so far i am very impressed and pleased

Let me also add the remote is perhaps the worst remote I have ever used and i have owned some pretty crappy remotes...this one needs to be within about 6 inches of the unit for it to work rendering it totally useless

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,224 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me
Hugo2 or IDSD BL which one better for PRO ICAN?

I will say that when the H2 is connected to the Pro iCan, I lose some detail when compared to it's own port. When I connected the iDSD BL to the Pro iCan, I seem to have lost nothing. Listening for subtle sounds that I know are there, the iDSD BL/Pro iCan didn't lose detail, but subtle sounds were harder to hear, so I had to concentrate when listening. With the H2/Pro iCan combo, I also have to concentrate to hear specific subtle sounds I know are there. I can hear them, but they're much more in the background and overwhelmed by the louder, main sounds. Whereas the H2 straight to my headphones brought up subtle sounds such that I didn't have to concentrate to hear them, they were just there.

I pretty much agree with this. I feel that the Pro iCan is better using the balanced inputs. It seemed to more readily pick up noise (at least in my set-up) using the RCA inputs than other amps I have here. A better result seems to be using the Pro iDSD as the source. Of course, that ignores any desire for portability.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,225 of 2,267
I am the lucky owner of the dave/blu2 combo and abyss Phi HP's.....I have gone back and forth in terms of using an external amp or not.....I came across the pro ican and most say i am very pleasantly surprised...first of all using it single ended i am able to use the 0 DB setting and drive my abyss without breaking a sweat...the size of the unit makes it easy to place on my desk and most importantly it sounds great....i am amazed how such a compact package can be so powerful...in fact I tried it balanced and found i really didnt need all that power to my surprise....I havent yet played with all the doodads but so far i am very impressed and pleased

Let me also add the remote is perhaps the worst remote I have ever used and i have owned some pretty crappy remotes...this one needs to be within about 6 inches of the unit for it to work rendering it totally useless

I have read your post with great interest and enquire the difference in SQ direct from dave/blu2 with and without pro ican…?

I have the LCD4 and soon perhaps Abyss Phil, how does the extra power with the pro ican affect the LCD4 and Phil in SQ...?

Regards

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,226 of 2,267
Surprisingly to me the sound stage is larger, the bass is deeper, the impact is greater. There is more grunt. When I listen to an old mono jazz recording the stage is larger so that a mono recording sounds far better to my ears. The pro can has more power than I imagined possible in such a small form factor. Is there a loss of transparency? Yes but it is negligible and you can easily go back and forth if you do choose. Best of all the pro can is cheap and I got a great deal on a used one and I am thrilled

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,227 of 2,267
Surprisingly to me the sound stage is larger, the bass is deeper, the impact is greater. There is more grunt. When I listen to an old mono jazz recording the stage is larger so that a mono recording sounds far better to my ears. The pro can has more power than I imagined possible in such a small form factor. Is there a loss of transparency? Yes but it is negligible and you can easily go back and forth if you do choose. Best of all the pro can is cheap and I got a great deal on a used one and I am thrilled

Thank you I will try.
If I may ask one more question, how did you connect the dave/blu xlr to the pro, did you use expensive interconnects...?

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,228 of 2,267
I am using xlr cables but not super expensive. I believe they cost me 50 bucks

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,229 of 2,267

I know you used to own the Moon 430HA. Of the two, which do you prefer, and why? Thanks!

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,230 of 2,267
Both outstanding,the 430 is twice as expensive but the pro can is more powerful and has a form factor that is far more convenient. Taking cost into account pro can easily. No cost involved I rate them even

Users who are viewing this thread

Back