ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 23, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,201 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me
Hugo2 or IDSD BL which one better for PRO ICAN?

Regurds Mori
Using the Pro iCan, you definitely should go with a balanced DAC. And, if you can afford the Hugo 2, the PS Audio DirectStream would be much better... it is balanced. Or, the ifi Pro DAC... you can buy a new one for less than Hugo 2. Or, the Violectric V850... another good balanced DAC. But, whichever way you go... go balanced with the ifi Pro iCan. That's MHO.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,202 of 2,267
no comparison, the H2 plays in a different league

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,203 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me

Regurds Mori
I prefer to use the Hugo 2 as a DAC with my Pro iCan. As a DAC only the Hugo 2 is far superior to running the iDSD BL in DAC only mode. But by themselves as a DAC/Amp combo the iDSD BL performance is much closer to Hugo 2. The amp section of the iDSD BL I feel is better than the Hugo 2's amp, which makes the iDSD BL a great buy as complete product. But both will get replaced with the Pro iDSD soon. I want to run it as a balanced DAC when I get it. But for now the Hugo 2 is the clear winner for use with the Pro iCan to my ears.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,204 of 2,267
Edit

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,205 of 2,267
no comparison, the H2 plays in a different league

I had both ,comparison side by side i know hugo2 better .Well, when I was using it two I did not have pro ican.
To my ear hugo2 all around superior than IDSD BL But not much.

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,207 of 2,267
is it normal to compare 2 Dac whose price is almost 4 times higher

In my opinion always higher price not reason to better .The question was about the coordination of the devices,IDSD BL Winner in all aspects.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,208 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me

I've only used my Pro iCAN with a balanced DAC. But iDSD BL vs Hugo 2, Hugo 2 would be better. But if you don't need a DAC with built in headphone amplifier, then look at Chord's QUTEST. It's the Hugo2 without the headphone amp and is cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,210 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me

Regurds Mori

I think you mentioned earlier that you agreed with @Beolab who stated the Pro iCan sounds a little flat. So, my opinion may not matter much since compared to other gear I own, to me, it doesn't sound flat. Then again, I'm not quite able to afford things much more expensive. But what the heck, I'll throw some opinions down.

I connect the Mojo, Jot, H2 to the iFi Pro iCan (Also had the iDSD BL for a while earlier this year). The Mojo I only connect because it is acting temporarily as my in home streaming client while waiting for the 2Go for the H2.

The Jot has the older DAC in it, rather than the more recently available multi-bit dac.

I'm expecting the RME ADI-2 DAC too next week. Previously a friend brought his to my home to try it out for a few hours and I loved it with the iFi iCan Pro, so decided to get my own.

As a DAC that is a little more than the iDSD BL, and significantly less expensive than the H2, and with balanced outputs, I would throw that idea in as something to consider.

It has balanced outs. To me, the RME, out of the RME's own headphones ports, doesn't quite get to toe-tapping fun. The Pro iCan, on the other hand, is rather beautiful sounding, a nice hollow sound, at least compared to the headphones ports of each of the moderately priced DAC/AMP's I own. So the pairing with the RME works really well for me and I pulled the trigger earlier this month on back order and expect it to arrive next week (Finally! What a long wait, those things are always out of stock). The RME has a lot of eq controls, which, I really like. The customization on the RME + the little bass boost on the iFi iCan Pro, gives a ton of flexibility to get pretty much any headphone closer to my preferred sound profile (within limits, obviously). My other option was to get the $149 Schiit Loki and put it between an unbalanced DAC output and the unbalanced iFi Pro input. It's cheap enough that I still might consider it down the road, but for now, the RME seems the better option.

The other one already stated is the iDSD Pro. It's less expensive than the H2, and seems like it might be pretty awesome.

----

It occurs to me, though, that if you're comparing the iFi iDSD BL and the H2, you have another required criteria: Battery powered transportability.

If that's the case, then I think unbalanced outputs are your only option, and the H2 and iDSD BL are spot on options to consider.

The iDSD BL has the xbass feature, which can be very useful for some headphones. For the HD800, the xbass on the Pro iCan really makes this combo the only option for me when listening to large classical orchestral pieces. Such an expansive sound, and beautiful resonating bass. Being able to have that bass boost in a transportable device can be very very nice if you have high resolution, but less punchy bass headphones. If I remember right, the iDSD BL's xbass is 20hz, right? Of course, if you already have headphones with some nice sounding bass that fits your preference, that feature is a bit of a waste. It's a great DAC all around. Since obviously everyone knows that any good DAC provides a lot more detail than going straight from a computer or smart mobile device, the iDSD BL will of course be great for detail, especially for a transportable device. There's a lot there, and it's a good fit for the Pro iCan. (I purchased an iDSD BL off Amazon early this year before deciding on the H2, used it for a while, thought the H2 was better for me, and returned the BL. I regret that, and may have to go back and buy it)

Conversely, the H2 provides a level of detail that doesn't seem to matter much on slower headphones, but for me at least, makes a big difference on fast headphones like the hd800/s, utopia, t1, casscade, kse1200/1500, the H2 can really bring up subtle sounds that disappear or are harder to hear on other chains.

I will say that when the H2 is connected to the Pro iCan, I lose some detail when compared to it's own port. When I connected the iDSD BL to the Pro iCan, I seem to have lost nothing. Listening for subtle sounds that I know are there, the iDSD BL/Pro iCan didn't lose detail, but subtle sounds were harder to hear, so I had to concentrate when listening. With the H2/Pro iCan combo, I also have to concentrate to hear specific subtle sounds I know are there. I can hear them, but they're much more in the background and overwhelmed by the louder, main sounds. Whereas the H2 straight to my headphones brought up subtle sounds such that I didn't have to concentrate to hear them, they were just there.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,211 of 2,267
In short the BL is fuller and got great impact, vs H2 got slight more nuances and got better separation.
The BL got the X-Bass that can be a fun somethimes , whereas the H2 is slightly light in the low end.

I did play the H2 through the analog input on the BL then down to the Ican, for the best of two worlds.

The H2 is more refind, but i did sell it incl the DAVE + BluII in favour for a dCS Puccini dac / Master Clock .

Just for fun i connected the clocked spdif outputs on the dCS dac to the spdif in on the BL and the sound lifted about 8 times above hehe.

I did sell the BL for a couple of month ago, but i liked it alot for the price vs the H2.

So the best combo is maybe the H2 + Ican technically wise on paper , but synergy wise i think the Ican and the H2 got the same signature , so the sound will probably sound a little less intriguing and slighty forced on your ears, vs the BL + Ican

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,212 of 2,267
I think you mentioned earlier that you agreed with @Beolab who stated the Pro iCan sounds a little flat. So, my opinion may not matter much since compared to other gear I own, to me, it doesn't sound flat. Then again, I'm not quite able to afford things much more expensive. But what the heck, I'll throw some opinions down.

I connect the Mojo, Jot, H2 to the iFi Pro iCan (Also had the iDSD BL for a while earlier this year). The Mojo I only connect because it is acting temporarily as my in home streaming client while waiting for the 2Go for the H2.

The Jot has the older DAC in it, rather than the more recently available multi-bit dac.

I'm expecting the RME ADI-2 DAC too next week. Previously a friend brought his to my home to try it out for a few hours and I loved it with the iFi iCan Pro, so decided to get my own.

As a DAC that is a little more than the iDSD BL, and significantly less expensive than the H2, and with balanced outputs, I would throw that idea in as something to consider.

It has balanced outs. To me, the RME, out of the RME's own headphones ports, doesn't quite get to toe-tapping fun. The Pro iCan, on the other hand, is rather beautiful sounding, a nice hollow sound, at least compared to the headphones ports of each of the moderately priced DAC/AMP's I own. So the pairing with the RME works really well for me and I pulled the trigger earlier this month on back order and expect it to arrive next week (Finally! What a long wait, those things are always out of stock). The RME has a lot of eq controls, which, I really like. The customization on the RME + the little bass boost on the iFi iCan Pro, gives a ton of flexibility to get pretty much any headphone closer to my preferred sound profile (within limits, obviously). My other option was to get the $149 Schiit Loki and put it between an unbalanced DAC output and the unbalanced iFi Pro input. It's cheap enough that I still might consider it down the road, but for now, the RME seems the better option.

The other one already stated is the iDSD Pro. It's less expensive than the H2, and seems like it might be pretty awesome.

----

It occurs to me, though, that if you're comparing the iFi iDSD BL and the H2, you have another required criteria: Battery powered transportability.

If that's the case, then I think unbalanced outputs are your only option, and the H2 and iDSD BL are spot on options to consider.

The iDSD BL has the xbass feature, which can be very useful for some headphones. For the HD800, the xbass on the Pro iCan really makes this combo the only option for me when listening to large classical orchestral pieces. Such an expansive sound, and beautiful resonating bass. Being able to have that bass boost in a transportable device can be very very nice if you have high resolution, but less punchy bass headphones. If I remember right, the iDSD BL's xbass is 20hz, right? Of course, if you already have headphones with some nice sounding bass that fits your preference, that feature is a bit of a waste. It's a great DAC all around. Since obviously everyone knows that any good DAC provides a lot more detail than going straight from a computer or smart mobile device, the iDSD BL will of course be great for detail, especially for a transportable device. There's a lot there, and it's a good fit for the Pro iCan. (I purchased an iDSD BL off Amazon early this year before deciding on the H2, used it for a while, thought the H2 was better for me, and returned the BL. I regret that, and may have to go back and buy it)

Conversely, the H2 provides a level of detail that doesn't seem to matter much on slower headphones, but for me at least, makes a big difference on fast headphones like the hd800/s, utopia, t1, casscade, kse1200/1500, the H2 can really bring up subtle sounds that disappear or are harder to hear on other chains.

I will say that when the H2 is connected to the Pro iCan, I lose some detail when compared to it's own port. When I connected the iDSD BL to the Pro iCan, I seem to have lost nothing. Listening for subtle sounds that I know are there, the iDSD BL/Pro iCan didn't lose detail, but subtle sounds were harder to hear, so I had to concentrate when listening. With the H2/Pro iCan combo, I also have to concentrate to hear specific subtle sounds I know are there. I can hear them, but they're much more in the background and overwhelmed by the louder, main sounds. Whereas the H2 straight to my headphones brought up subtle sounds such that I didn't have to concentrate to hear them, they were just there.[/QUOTE

]

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,213 of 2,267

Thank you for the full explanation.Given that I myself heard that both devices, I figured out which one I should choose.pro with h2 slightly smoother than BL and slightly lively i think.
I have to go idsd bl ,h2 out of my budget .[/QUOTE

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,214 of 2,267
New IFI FB2.jpg
ifi iCAN Pro Micro iDSD BL _DSF0895 W2000.jpg
I have discovered a love of music I never knew possible. The ifi Pro iCAN combined with the ifi Pro iDSD. It looks as good as it sounds, both in a headphone setup and as a pre-amp. And it looks Boss. Happy to discuss as I also own the ifi Micro iDSD BL.
Anyone ever use the iCan's preamp functionality? And how does it do with the preouts and HP's connected at the same time?

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,215 of 2,267
Nice setup:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back