ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,186 of 2,267
The Pro iCan is capable of taking the best from a good DAC and driving it home. But it won’t make better music than what the DAC gives it. I first had an Auralic Vega, which is a darn good DAC. And that combo made really good sound thru my Audeze LCD-3F headphones. But then I traded the Vega in on a new PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC. And this DAC put the sound into another realm... I mean this system sings!! I set the volume on the Pro iCan at 12 o’clock... it’s best output... and then control the volume with the DirectStream. This sound would be hard to beat... no matter what genre you listen to!

So, do you thinking idsd enough it?

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,187 of 2,267
Anyone ever use the iCan's preamp functionality? And how does it do with the preouts and HP's connected at the same time?

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,188 of 2,267
Anyone ever use the iCan's preamp functionality? And how does it do with the preouts and HP's connected at the same time?
I'll be checking it soon once I get my Burson Audio Timekeeper amp. I've very curious as to how the Pro iCan behaves as a preamp. I just wish the Timekeeper had a headphone output on it for sound comparison. Seeing that it has gobs off power as well.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,189 of 2,267
[QUOTE = "Slim1970, post: 14307809, member: 330061"] Je vais le vérifier bientôt une fois que j'aurai mon ampli Burson Audio Timekeeper. Je suis très curieux de savoir comment se comporte le Pro iCan en tant que préampli. Je souhaite juste que le Timekeeper ait une sortie casque pour la comparaison du son. Voyant qu'il a aussi du pouvoir. [/ QUOTE]
I'll be checking it soon once I get my Burson Audio Timekeeper amp. I've very curious as to how the Pro iCan behaves as a preamp. I just wish the Timekeeper had a headphone output on it for sound comparison. Seeing that it has gobs off power as well.

I tried to put the ifi pro as preamp, and the moon 430 HA as a power amp, the result is, loss of information and micro information, as long as we double the components, modulations cables,
after trial I returned to a single amp, it is much more transparent, .......

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,190 of 2,267
[QUOTE = "Slim1970, post: 14307809, member: 330061"] Je vais le vérifier bientôt une fois que j'aurai mon ampli Burson Audio Timekeeper. Je suis très curieux de savoir comment se comporte le Pro iCan en tant que préampli. Je souhaite juste que le Timekeeper ait une sortie casque pour la comparaison du son. Voyant qu'il a aussi du pouvoir. [/ QUOTE]

I tried to put the ifi pro as preamp, and the moon 430 HA as a power amp, the result is, loss of information and micro information, as long as we double the components, modulations cables,
after trial I returned to a single amp, it is much more transparent, .......
Interesting, isn't the Moon 430HA a headphone amp as well? It's not a dedicated power amp so I can see that happening.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,191 of 2,267
I am using it as preamp mode. I am feeding to Marantz pre-main amp to drive Dali's speaker (see my profile in detail if you are interested in). Obviously noticed that better separation, better depth, more dynamics, tube feel (in case of tube mode), etc. And it has a dedicate 3D holographic circuit for speaker system (different circuit from headphone). I do not use X-bass circuit for speaker because I have a subwoofer. Everything better than solo use of my pre-main amp. I am now thinking to upgrade my pre-main amp to a simple power amp which is l probably a great idea. By the way, I've never tried to use preamp and headphone simultaneously. I think it is possible because both are dedicated circuits but why do you need both the same time? I do not understand the reason.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,192 of 2,267
Yes the Ican got is limits, if you compare it with a full size High End amp, it sounds flat and not so involving, i would have seen some more velvet magic to the sound that draws you into listen to it more often and for longer periods. Hard to say what is limit this, but most probably components, voicing and power reserve etc. It should have more warmth / glowing in the Tube mode in my opinion.

But it is a great compact versatile headphone amp in its price range nevertheless!

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,193 of 2,267

That's a sweet little amp! Let us know:)

I am using it as preamp mode. I am feeding to Marantz pre-main amp to drive Dali's speaker (see my profile in detail if you are interested in). Obviously noticed that better separation, better depth, more dynamics, tube feel (in case of tube mode), etc. And it has a dedicate 3D holographic circuit for speaker system (different circuit from headphone). I do not use X-bass circuit for speaker because I have a subwoofer. Everything better than solo use of my pre-main amp. I am now thinking to upgrade my pre-main amp to a simple power amp which is l probably a great idea. By the way, I've never tried to use preamp and headphone simultaneously. I think it is possible because both are dedicated circuits but why do you need both the same time? I do not understand the reason.

I don't actually need them to all work at the same time. But they do on my Jot, and if the can't on the iCan this could be a problem.
I run balanced pre's to the Focal's in my sig, they only accept balanced. Then I run single ended pre's to my subs DSP EQ, full range, left and right all the way to the sub. All crossover adjustments are done on the speakers/subs themselves.
I just switch the power off on the monitors and sub EQ when listening to HP's. This is necessary with a balanced setup like a Jot or iCan because balanced jacks have no switch.

But read somewhere, (forgot where) that having the preout's connected but amps switched off. then listening to HP's caused a problem. I might just contact iFi about this.

I've been looking and the pro iCan is the best step up for the Jot I've found to try.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,194 of 2,267
Yes the Ican got is limits, if you compare it with a full size High End amp, it sounds flat and not so involving, i would have seen some more velvet magic to the sound that draws you into listen to it more often and for longer periods. Hard to say what is limit this, but most probably components, voicing and power reserve etc. It should have more warmth / glowing in the Tube mode in my opinion.

But it is a great compact versatile headphone amp in its price range nevertheless!
I agree that it definitely sounds like a solid state amp even in tube mode. It doesn't have the warmth and lushness of high end tube amps but it serves my purposes. What the Pro iCan is dynamic, clean, transparent in that it sounds like the source it's being feed. It's versatile and can drive just about every headphone out there. It is a great little amp!

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,195 of 2,267

Agree with you ,I have the same problem and I want to try another DAC currently use idsd silver.do you thinking that's solution ?

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,196 of 2,267
I agree that it definitely sounds like a solid state amp even in tube mode. It doesn't have the warmth and lushness of high end tube amps but it serves my purposes. What the Pro iCan is dynamic, clean, transparent in that it sounds like the source it's being feed. It's versatile and can drive just about every headphone out there. It is a great little amp!

This sounds exactly what I want, and I've heard it's slightly warmer than a Jot.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,197 of 2,267
This sounds exactly what I want, and I've heard it's slightly warmer than a Jot.
I love the sound of the Pro iCan. It's not sterile or analytical by any means. My previous amp the Oppo HA-1 had a warmer tone but I felt there was more to be had out of my headphones.

When I got the Pro iCan my headphones seemed to open up. Not only that it made all of my headphones sound great. XBass+ has been my most used feature. 3D+ seems to be hit or miss with some headphones. My HEK V2's and HD800S's are so open sounding already it doesn't have any effect on them. But my LCD-XC's, Oppo PM3's and even my DT1990's 3D+ really opens them up. The Pro iCan really fits the sound signature I want.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,199 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me
Hugo2 or IDSD BL which one better for PRO ICAN?

Regurds Mori

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,200 of 2,267
Hi guys
Please guide me
Hugo2 or IDSD BL which one better for PRO ICAN?

Regurds Mori

Well, iDSD BL is a lot cheaper than the Hugo2. I really enjoy my iDSD BL as a standalone unit, and thought it worked well with the Pro iCAN when I tried the combo.

I haven't heard the HUGO 2, but my Mojo sounds great. I imagine the Hugo2 sounds great as well. However, once you get into the Hugo2 price range, there are a lot of other options out there. Perhaps, with the Pro iCAN, a balanced DAC might be worth looking into as well? I'm not too sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back