ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #76 of 2,267
  ...  There are those people who want to hear a mouse fart in the corner of a concert hall ...

With a truly good amp, you can smell the mouse fart!

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #78 of 2,267
Well, about two weeks of burning in is the next step. I figured I've waited this long without a listen, so what's two more weeks (336+ hours)?

Would you guys say the best way to burn it in would be with the tube+ state, or alternate between all three?
leave it playing in tube+ state and check back every now and then

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #79 of 2,267
Hi guys

I was reading the manual and looks like 6d port is a balanced 3.5mm. I don't have any 3.5mm balanced cables but I have a few 2.5mm that I use with onkyo dap. Is there an adapter that does balanced 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female so I can try my IEM's with it?

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #80 of 2,267
Well, about two weeks of burning in is the next step. I figured I've waited this long without a listen, so what's two more weeks (336+ hours)?

Would you guys say the best way to burn it in would be with the tube+ state, or alternate between all three?
leave it playing in tube+ state and check back every now and then

What's the life span of those 5670s? Isn't that going to run them down prematurely?

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #81 of 2,267
It's stated in the manual that "Each GE5670 tube has undergone a special rejuvenation process and the tube circuit is specially-designed for long life. Combined, the tubes should offer many years of enjoyment." 

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #82 of 2,267
What's the life span of those 5670s? Isn't that going to run them down prematurely?

Well, driver tubes like the GE5670 should have a lifespan of 90,000 hours, give or take, obviously, which means if they were used 24/7 that would equal 3,750 days. That equals to 10 years. But let's say you're only running them 3 hours a day that's 30 years. I'm 42 now, so in theory, I wouldn't need to change my tubes until I'm 72. I might not give a **** at 72, or even 62.

That said, from my understanding, burning in the tubes, themselves, should only take 20 hours at the max! It's the circuits, though, that we're more concerned about in this case. I think taking 400 hours off of the tube's life won't make a bit of difference in the long run.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #83 of 2,267
Hi guys

I was reading the manual and looks like 6d port is a balanced 3.5mm. I don't have any 3.5mm balanced cables but I have a few 2.5mm that I use with onkyo dap. Is there an adapter that does balanced 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female so I can try my IEM's with it?

Btg-audio.com made an adapter for me, when I needed 3.5mm balanced to RSA/Alo for my hifiman DAP that also has 3.5mm balanced output.

So I would propose to contact Brian.

Cheers.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #84 of 2,267

I don't have any 3.5mm balanced cables but I have a few 2.5mm that I use with onkyo dap. Is there an adapter that does balanced 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female so I can try my IEM's with it?

Did you mean 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male (for connection to the Pro which uses a Hifiman style TRRS pinout on that port)?
If so, this adapter will work:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/onkyo-dp-x-1-astell-kern-ak240-ak120-ii-ak340-eidolic-hifiman-lh-labs-balanced-trrs-4-pole-converter-ultrashort-adapter

I just had Trevor at Norne make a custom one for my 3.5mm TRRS cables (to use with another amp). Superb quality and very short. Worth every penny.

They also have a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female but that would be for adapting a cable that already fits the iCan Pro to use with your Onkyo.
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Hifiman-TRRS-LH-Labs-go-v-2-astell-and-kern-ak240-ak380-ak120-ak100-ii

Note: these are not just adapters. The pinouts are different for balanced 2.5mm and 3.5mm balanced so these are soldered internally to properly convert the pins.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #85 of 2,267

Did you mean 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male (for connection to the Pro which uses a Hifiman style TRRS pinout on that port)?
If so, this adapter will work:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/onkyo-dp-x-1-astell-kern-ak240-ak120-ii-ak340-eidolic-hifiman-lh-labs-balanced-trrs-4-pole-converter-ultrashort-adapter

I just had Trevor at Norne make a custom one for my 3.5mm TRRS cables (to use with another amp). Superb quality and very short. Worth every penny.

They also have a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female but that would be for adapting a cable that already fits the iCan Pro to use with your Onkyo.
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Hifiman-TRRS-LH-Labs-go-v-2-astell-and-kern-ak240-ak380-ak120-ak100-ii

Note: these are not just adapters. The pinouts are different for balanced 2.5mm and 3.5mm balanced so these are soldered internally to properly convert the pins.

I think it's the first one. I have custom earphione cable that is terminated in 2.5mm trrs for onyko. so that end is male. I would need 3.5mm adapter to take that, so 1 of it's end will be 2.5mm female and output 3.5mm male trrs balanced

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #86 of 2,267
  I think it's the first one. I have custom earphione cable that is terminated in 2.5mm trrs for onyko. so that end is male. I would need 3.5mm adapter to take that, so 1 of it's end will be 2.5mm female and output 3.5mm male trrs balanced

If you are looking for 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adapter, It should look like this:

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 6, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #87 of 2,267

Well, driver tubes like the GE5670 should have a lifespan of 90,000 hours, give or take, obviously, which means if they were used 24/7 that would equal 3,750 days. That equals to 10 years. But let's say you're only running them 3 hours a day that's 30 years. I'm 42 now, so in theory, I wouldn't need to change my tubes until I'm 72. I might not give a **** at 72, or even 62.

That said, from my understanding, burning in the tubes, themselves, should only take 20 hours at the max! It's the circuits, though, that we're more concerned about in this case. I think taking 400 hours off of the tube's life won't make a bit of difference in the long run.

I didn't realise these tubes last that long. Some tube experts on the 5670 thread spooked me and I've been real precious with my iTube, turning it off when not listening but hate waiting for it to warm up when I want to use it. All that on and off supposedly reduce its life too so it's ironic. I might leave it permanently on now, until the tube goes flat in 7-8 years, or is that also a bad idea?

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #88 of 2,267
I didn't realise these tubes last that long. Some tube experts on the 5670 thread spooked me and I've been real precious with my iTube, turning it off when not listening but hate waiting for it to warm up when I want to use it. All that on and off supposedly reduce its life too so it's ironic. I might leave it permanently on now, until the tube goes flat in 7-8 years, or is that also a bad idea?

I don't know. I'll I'm doing is speaking in theory, just by doing simple math. But I don't think turning it off would reduce the tube life. I mean, look at all of those radios from the 30s and 40s, and they would turn them on and off every day. It beats me. I'm just saying that it's probably safe to leave them on for a good while without significantly reducing the tube life.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #89 of 2,267

I don't know. I'll I'm doing is speaking in theory, just by doing simple math. But I don't think turning it off would reduce the tube life. I mean, look at all of those radios from the 30s and 40s, and they would turn them on and off every day. It beats me. I'm just saying that it's probably safe to leave them on for a good while without significantly reducing the tube life.

What you said made sense so I'm gonna go with common sense logic. Sometimes this OCD-prone hobby of ours throws basic reasoning out the window. :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #90 of 2,267

I'd be more worried about the constant heat from being on 24/7. My iTube has a single 5670 and the whole enclosure gets pretty hot. Besides, seems to hit it's stride after about 20min warm-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back