ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Aug 19, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,846 of 2,267
Well, for one thing, you can roll your own power cable with it, so that opens up a lot of possibilities. And it gives the iCan Pro a blacker background that allows you to hear more details. If you want to take it to the next level, you could buy an iPower Elite and get the matching iFi SupaNova power cable that provides active power conditioning/surge protection. The two together make the background even quieter and allow you to not worry about power conditioning or surge protection and plug the iCan Pro directly into the wall.
@dcguy73 thank you for taking time to share all those findings. In my case iCan Pro already has a decent black background but it may be still worth to check out this possible upgrade path. I would like iCan Pro to be more dynamic, but it seems that Niimbus maybe what I am looking for. Overall this is great amp with one single drawback: it makes you want more :wink:

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,850 of 2,267
Aren't we talking apples and oranges here?

The iCan Pro is a hybrid tube/solid-state amp. @vonBaron, all the "better" amps you've referenced are solid-state.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,852 of 2,267
Aren't we talking apples and oranges here?

The iCan Pro is a hybrid tube/solid-state amp. @vonBaron, all the "better" amps you've referenced are solid-state.
It depends if you are looking for particular sound signature / SQ only or are you looking for it with particular topology. In any case Pro iCan has a place on my desk due to its nature.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,853 of 2,267
Pro ICAN is very versatile amp, it have almost everything but if you want better SQ SS for similar price you can. Tube mode is very average unless you don't change tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,854 of 2,267
Pro ICAN is very versatile amp, it have almost everything but if you want better SQ SS for similar price you can. Tube mode is very average unless you don't change tubes.
@vonBaron, I agree. @alekc, I own the Pathos Inpol Ear hybrid tube/solid-state amp and very much enjoy it. I think it is definitely a level or two above the iCan Pro. It is not nearly as versatile with settings (it does have an optional DAC built-in), but the sound quality is excellent.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,856 of 2,267
Amusing discussion about asking which amp is "better" than the Pro iCAN. Imagine buying this amp without the intention to use XBass/3D, because that's really what's going for it. If I wanted a "gain wire amp" I would've looked at other options. You can't compare this amp to anything else on the market other than iFi's other products with XBass/3D.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,857 of 2,267
Amusing discussion about asking which amp is "better" than the Pro iCAN. Imagine buying this amp without the intention to use XBass/3D, because that's really what's going for it. If I wanted a "gain wire amp" I would've looked at other options. You can't compare this amp to anything else on the market other than iFi's other products with XBass/3D.
Honestly speaking I think that there is a lot more to both Pro iCan or any other decent amp than just 3d/xbass. I love xbass for some tracks; 3d works nicely on some particular recordings for me but Pro iCan made me to seek for SS amp that could be more dynamic, maybe with blacker background and wider sound stage.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,858 of 2,267
Honestly speaking I think that there is a lot more to both Pro iCan or any other decent amp than just 3d/xbass. I love xbass for some tracks; 3d works nicely on some particular recordings for me but Pro iCan made me to seek for SS amp that could be more dynamic, maybe with blacker background and wider sound stage.
do the pro ican have an intimate soundstage? Tks

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,859 of 2,267
do the pro ican have an intimate soundstage? Tks
I'm really poor at all those naming conventions especially since those terms means usually something different to different people. I'd say there are amps with better soundstage but those I've heard were more expensive than iCan. It has wider stage than iCan SE, but I like both and I'm using both with different setups.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,860 of 2,267
Yes the Pro iCan is more intimate than other amps but I manage to make it wider by swapping the tubes like others recommended before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back