ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,834 of 2,267
Anyone has some new experience with using iPower Elite with Pro iCan?
I can't quote but i remember Ifi saying the one that comes with the unit is the best for it.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #1,835 of 2,267
I, for one, do not find this amusing. I went to my local store and asked SPECIFICALLY whether there is a new one coming in the horizon or are they selling a demo set before I purchased mine. Guess what? In less than 2 months, the demo sale materialised and rumours of a new iCan Pro 2 started circulating.

This, after an experience of buying the Black Label and have the Signature launch shortly (and oh yes, it died on me and had to be replaced under warranty). I was very new to the audio game then but sucked it up given the low quantum. 2 in a row makes it quite difficult for me to purchase any more Ifi products without looking over my shoulder thinking when my new toy will become obsolete.
I don't have any overt intentions to stir the pot, especially in light of your escalating aggravation on this matter. Nevertheless, there are a couple of salient points that I might add -

1) The retailers may or may not know about any upcoming product launches.
2) The retailers may be bound by a strict confidentiality agreement with the company and/or its local/regional distributor.
3) Your Pro iCAN hasn't morphed into a worthless device overnight; it's still a fully-capable desktop amplifier.

In any case, within the audiophile sphere, a product that is over 5 years old is often seen as being a little long in the tooth. This is especially relevant in the portable realm (e.g. DAPs, IEMs).

Anyway, I hope that you'll continue to enjoy the music. :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,836 of 2,267
On the topic of V2 of the iFi Pro iCAN - I am greatly intrigued with the revised model. In early 2021, the Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN stack was 1 of my 2 (final) choices for a complete desktop stack; in the end, I opted for an Yggdrasil and a Ragnarok 2 instead. Sadly, owing to interminable delays, I have recently cancelled my order with Schiit. I have since chosen a different DAC, but my choice of amplifier is still very much up in the air. I'll be eagerly watching iFi for any pending updates. :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,837 of 2,267
I am waiting too for ican pro v2
Heck… considering there is quite a bit of overlap between the ican pro and iDSD… I wouldn’t mind an AIO version

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,838 of 2,267
I'm using +9db gain now instead of 0db despite the increased noise floor. The sound feels more alive and snappy, like it has more dynamic range, and this was after going back and forth for a month just to make sure it wasn't just placebo, or the effects of hearing on different days.

As for the "v2" of this, what I'd like is a "lite" $1000ish version without the tube amp, cleaner +9db gain, class AB instead of A so it isn't a space heater, and with the variable XBass/3D. iFi has products like the Zen CAN, iDSD Signature, and Neo iDSD, but they all lack the variable XBass/3D that's only on the Pro iCAN.

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,839 of 2,267
I'm using +9db gain now instead of 0db despite the increased noise floor. The sound feels more alive and snappy, like it has more dynamic range, and this was after going back and forth for a month just to make sure it wasn't just placebo, or the effects of hearing on different days.

As for the "v2" of this, what I'd like is a "lite" $1000ish version without the tube amp, cleaner +9db gain, class AB instead of A so it isn't a space heater, and with the variable XBass/3D. iFi has products like the Zen CAN, iDSD Signature, and Neo iDSD, but they all lack the variable XBass/3D that's only on the Pro iCAN.
Imo No way a class ab amplifier sounds as good as a class a amplifier (given that both amps are well implemented).
I just hope the v2 pro ican will come with only 2 type of audio jacks: the 4.4mm and the 6.3mm. Adding the black colored version. And by a somewhat lower price Ifi will take my money hh

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,840 of 2,267
I mistakenly thought they are phasing out this amp out but a guy on another site mentioned that he ordered one and it is two weeks out. And he stated that several stores are still still stocking/selling them.

My only complaint on the machine is the headphone outputs. Who uses dual XLR? And the 1/4" output is flimsy because it shares that port. And it would be nice to see a 4.4mm port.

Other than that, it is AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,841 of 2,267
And I have to backtrack on my last statement. The guy I was referring to went back and forth with his dealer and an iFi rep. In the end he was told that it is discontinued and his dealer cannot get more.

Here's to hoping for a revision/replacement. :L3000:

Glad I got mine.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,842 of 2,267
Aug 18, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,844 of 2,267
Thank you for a confirmation. Could you share some more details why is it worthy upgrade please?
Well, for one thing, you can roll your own power cable with it, so that opens up a lot of possibilities. And it gives the iCan Pro a blacker background that allows you to hear more details. If you want to take it to the next level, you could buy an iPower Elite and get the matching iFi SupaNova power cable that provides active power conditioning/surge protection. The two together make the background even quieter and allow you to not worry about power conditioning or surge protection and plug the iCan Pro directly into the wall.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #1,845 of 2,267
I have been using this amp regularly for months. It has made a few amazing partnerships in my headphone collection.

Top of the list would be the Monoprice M1570's. They are large, heavy and relatively cheap, especially when found on sale. I am guessing that most buyers of this amp probably have much more expensive headphones than these.
However, if you come across them on sale or used, give them a try.

I run the X-Bass maxed out and the 3D also maxed out. They require Very little power to run. I was tired of the flimsy 1/4" socket and ordered a Hart Audio Cable so that I can use the XLR port. They certainly don't require the extra power of balanced out though.
I run it in tube mode, in low gain and the volume at 9:00. I am probably only using 5 to 10% of this units power.

These headphones sound so deep, wide and clear. The bass is impressive and mids more so. It is a really impressive experience. I have a top three headphones in my collection. They are, to me, way above all the others.
But this combo is blowing me away. I am going to spend the next week riding this pair of machines and very occasionally trying out other amps for brief periods. If this keeps up after a week, I will have a top four in the headphone club. :L3000:

The other Amazing partner are the T60 Argons. That would be a different post though.:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back