ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,711 of 2,267
Am trying to change the tubes for the iCan. But there’s screws on the volume knob which I need to unwind before I can open the unit.
Can someone advise what’s the screwdriver can fit for those screws?

thanks in advance
No need to remove Front panel.

IMG_1011.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,713 of 2,267
Yes, but please, be careful, and check if you got all the screws out!
Back panel sit really tight.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,714 of 2,267
You do not need to unscrew the volume knob. In fact you do not need to touch the front panel at all. Remove the screws at the back panel (4 for the bigger metal bars, and some 14 or so of the small ones, all with an Allen wrench key) and just slide the whole unit out.

Exactly. Upon removing the rear plate, the main PCB with the front panel attached should slide right off.

@parmy79

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,715 of 2,267
@iFi audio My Pro iCan has collected quite a bit of dust inside. What's the safest way to clean up without damaging the PCB and components?

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,716 of 2,267
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried to remove all the screws in the rear but the back panel is quite firm. Do I have to wriggle it loose?
What tubes are you planning to roll? Most of the tubes I've tried have put mine into protection mode either immediately or within minutes, even with a fan on the amp, though they worked perfectly in a Valhalla 2 with adapter. But when you get some that do (WE-396A O getters, GE 5 Star) it's like you have a completely new, and much different amp. With either set, the 3 modes are very different, and I could barely tell them apart with stock 5670s.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,717 of 2,267
What tubes are you planning to roll? Most of the tubes I've tried have put mine into protection mode either immediately or within minutes, even with a fan on the amp, though they worked perfectly in a Valhalla 2 with adapter. But when you get some that do (WE-396A O getters, GE 5 Star) it's like you have a completely new, and much different amp. With either set, the 3 modes are very different, and I could barely tell them apart with stock 5670s.
I got my hands on WE396As.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,719 of 2,267
I am about to join this club. I closed a deal last night on an 18 month old model. Hoping to have it for next weekend.

I have a broad selection of headphones to run through it. I am hoping/expecting this amp to displace one to two amps from my present collection.

I am currently running (for those that can't see my signature) three amps:

1) My newest is a cheapie that has been a really pleasant surprise. The Little Dot MKIII, assisted by a Schiit Loki.

2) Liquid Platinum. I Love this amp. Still stock with very little tube rolling. XLR out is best and really wails with higher impedance headphones.

3) Probably my favourite amp is the Violectric V220. It can power almost anything with a nice, warm sound. I love the Dip Switches, but wish it had XLR out.

All are fed by a Schiit Bifrost 2.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,720 of 2,267
I am about to join this club. I closed a deal last night on an 18 month old model. Hoping to have it for next weekend.

I have a broad selection of headphones to run through it. I am hoping/expecting this amp to displace one to two amps from my present collection.

1) My newest is a cheapie that has been a really pleasant surprise. The Little Dot MKIII, assisted by a Schiit Loki.

2) Liquid Platinum. I Love this amp. Still stock with very little tube rolling. XLR out is best and really wails with higher impedance headphones.

3) Probably my favourite amp is the Violectric V220. It can power almost anything with a nice, warm sound. I love the Dip Switches, but wish it had XLR out.

Congrats. If you are into tube sound you maybe a little disappointed by iCan tube and tube+ mode at first. For sure it will be different in one way or another from all your current amps, but I wonder if it could really replace any of them. The thing is iCan is like swiss army knife: very useful, you can throw at it most cans without any worries but it may not excel when comparing to less versatile amps. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as iCan owner and with good intentions. Looking forward to hear your opinion about iCan Pro and Violectric V220.

Overall iCan Pro is very enjoyable and easy to listen amp.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,721 of 2,267

Ditch the stock tubes once you get it. Literally every other matched pair I tried sounded better as long as they worked. Some can overheat it though the same tubes work fine in other amps. GE 5 star, WE 396A (or even Raytheon versions) are all excellent. The 5 star seems more punchy while the 396A seem more tubey with a wider soundstage.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,722 of 2,267
Congrats. If you are into tube sound you maybe a little disappointed by iCan tube and tube+ mode at first. For sure it will be different in one way or another from all your current amps, but I wonder if it could really replace any of them. The thing is iCan is like swiss army knife: very useful, you can throw at it most cans without any worries but it may not excel when comparing to less versatile amps. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as iCan owner and with good intentions. Looking forward to hear your opinion about iCan Pro and Violectric V220.

Overall iCan Pro is very enjoyable and easy to listen amp.
I don't find the LP at all "tubey", but I do love the sound. I upgraded to Amperex tubes and I am very happy. I was thinking that the Pro might have a similar or better sound in tube/tube+ vs the LP.

I understand that it will be Nothing like the LD MKIII and that's fine.

Really curious against the V220.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,723 of 2,267
Ditch the stock tubes once you get it. Literally every other matched pair I tried sounded better as long as they worked. Some can overheat it though the same tubes work fine in other amps. GE 5 star, WE 396A (or even Raytheon versions) are all excellent. The 5 star seems more punchy while the 396A seem more tubey with a wider soundstage.
I will buy some WE 396 A's shortly. Want to go to stock for at least a month and then see where I am at.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,724 of 2,267
My current system is:
20210423_151224_HDR.jpg

I am thinking that possibly I could dump the switcher, the Loki, and maybe two amps. I am wondering if I might end up at V220, Pro and BF2.

Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back