ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Feb 11, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,681 of 2,267
OK - will do.

Another question: I have now the Pro iESL, Pro iCan and iDSD. Obviously, it would be preferable to put the ican on top due to heat development,
but the power cable connecting the idsd and ican is so short (as is the HDMI cable) when using the irack - is this power connection cable between idsd and iCan a standard one?
It's a special HDMI cable and you can't just use another one. Oops, misread. I thought you meant the HDMI between the iCAN and iESL. I don't have the iDSD. When I used the HDMI connection between the other 2 I just had the iCAN on top of the iESL directly and there was never any problem from that.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,682 of 2,267
So, good news, the cables fit (although the connecting electricity cable is a bit tight):

IMG_3215.jpg

@iFi audio : I got a reply from ifi support after two weeks regarding the static crackling noise of my ican (but not the idsd on its own). I was told to buy the ifi isilencer and idefender. I thought this was implemented in the products - at least it was advertised that way????

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,683 of 2,267
@iFi audio : I got a reply from ifi support after two weeks regarding the static crackling noise of my ican (but not the idsd on its own). I was told to buy the ifi isilencer and idefender. I thought this was implemented in the products - at least it was advertised that way????

Some of our jitter-removing/noise-killing tech is inside our DACs, but our iSilencer and iDefender were released after our Pro iDSD, so naturally it couldn't have them included.

Btw. what a lovely stack you have there... :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,684 of 2,267
Help. I have an ifi iCan Pro...and the remote is pretty terrible. I use it as a preamp and the remote won't work from my desk 6 feet away. I asked the company for the code to program a universal remote, but they wouldn't send me one. Can anyone recommend a good universal remote that will work with it and hopefully be stronger than the one it came with? Thanks...

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,686 of 2,267
Have the ican Pro now for a few weeks and prefer it to my GSX- mini. Simultaneously I have reduced the number of headphones and will eventually keep the Focal Utopia, Stellia and HD800S.
With these the ican seems to have better synergy in terms of grip/control. Admittedly soundstage is slightly smaller but deeper and more holographic.
Of the extra features only use SS and nothing else.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,687 of 2,267
Have the ican Pro now for a few weeks and prefer it to my GSX- mini. Simultaneously I have reduced the number of headphones and will eventually keep the Focal Utopia, Stellia and HD800S.
With these the ican seems to have better synergy in terms of grip/control. Admittedly soundstage is slightly smaller but deeper and more holographic.
@silversurfer616 thank you for an interesting opinion - this is one of only few I've heard putting iCan Pro over GSX mini. Most people I've been talking with preferred mini, and I am still trying to figure out if I need it as another amp considering I already own iCan Pro. Personally I prefer iCan Pro SS mode most from all 3 available. Funny thing since I prefer iCan SE paired with iTube2.

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,689 of 2,267
@silversurfer616 thank you for an interesting opinion - this is one of only few I've heard putting iCan Pro over GSX mini. Most people I've been talking with preferred mini, and I am still trying to figure out if I need it as another amp considering I already own iCan Pro. Personally I prefer iCan Pro SS mode most from all 3 available. Funny thing since I prefer iCan SE paired with iTube2.
Could be that the ICAN has a better synergy with both my dacs( Audionote4.1 and PSAudio Perfect Wave) or it is just personal preference.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,691 of 2,267
Definitely try some other tubes. The tube modes with stock tubes struck me as not all that different. With WE 396A or GE 5 stars, and perhaps some others completely transform it and all 3 modes are much more distinctly different.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #1,693 of 2,267
Is the demand so high for the iCan Pro? I've wanted to jump on this train but I've been given a 10 day lead time from my supplier, and I'm in the UK...now after those days passed they don't even respond to my emails. Big oof.

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,694 of 2,267
Is the demand so high for the iCan Pro? I've wanted to jump on this train but I've been given a 10 day lead time from my supplier, and I'm in the UK...now after those days passed they don't even respond to my emails. Big oof. just bought a WA33 and I'll be looking to sell my Pro iCAN if you are interested. Has upgraded Western Electric 396A Tubes and is in pristine condition.
Might be due to Covid-related supply constraints. Just speculation of course.

Incidentally, I just bought a WA33 amp that should be here in about 3 weeks and I'll be looking to sell my Pro iCAN if you are interested. Has upgraded Western Electric 396A Tubes and is in pristine condition.

Edit: nevermind. Just saw you are in the UK. Definitely sounds like covid and Brexit to me.

Edit 2: Pro iCAN pending sale to another Head-fi member.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,695 of 2,267
With my Stellia I gravitate toward tube+ and 1 click on Xbass But the pro ican with 5 star tube upgrade seems to play well with all my HP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back