iFi Diablo - DAC and headphone amplifier -=review=-
Feb 4, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #46 of 70
Question for those using the Diablo to feed another amp. The Diablo kit comes with a 4.4mm Pentaconn to dual 3-pin XLR cable. For connecting to a SE-input tube amp, I can use XLR-to-RCA adapter cables?
iFi (and many forum contributors) have stated “do not do this”. There MAY BE SOME ADAPTERS that will null any potential ‘short’.. but, why do this?
Whilst it is a little messier, you can feed a standard 3.5mm to 2xphono/rca plugs and use standard amplifier inputs… I have done this quite a few times.
I did place a photo up on the official Diablo thread that gave the measure points for each mode (ECO -NORMAL-TURBO) that would equate to a standard 2Volt line level signal. My measurements weren’t perfect- in that I simply used some kit with an overload circuit @2.1V, and played back a well mastered album that would peak correctly - and just took note of where the volume dial was.

If I find the original photo again I will repost here.. (the last one was compressed for uploading and the quality reduction nearly removed my ‘hand drawn arrows’ that indicated where on the dial each mode would peak a normal line level signal.. (we want to get this right, so as not to go to ’high’ and clip the sound, or ‘too low’ and reduce dynamic range, effectively compress the output range..)
I own both combinations mentioned above. The diablo as portable and the d1se + a90....and I prefer the desktop setup 💯. Better separation/imaging/detail retrieval, overall significantly more refined sound to my ears. Diablo does sound fuller, but I don't touch it when at home. I like the diablo power - which allows me to take planar headphones on vacation, but d1se is underrated as a DAC and sounds great even with the very neutral A90 - don't judge it based on same chipset as for example d90se, they sound very different and that would probably be a bit of dead pairing.
I find running the Diablo into other amps a great way to boost its’ sound quality.
The Diablo is a better DAC than it is an amp. That is saying something because as a portable amp it ain’t shabby in the slightest.. but the amp part can easily be beaten (generally requiring good coin though). I consider it a great DAC, and a good amp.- actually, no- it is an excellent DAC, and a great amplifier.

I would state that a Denafrips Ares is a better DAC, sure.. but without using a world better than excellent (‘outstanding’ perhaps), the Denafrips isn’t apples to apples in the slightest. (cost vs features, home hifi that uses wall power etc).

Diablos’ GTO mode is useful AND the part hooks straight up to consoles….
That being said, feeding a FiiO M11+ into an Ares, and using ‘on the fly DSD’; that was a pretty incredible experience.
Of course, the M11+ feeds the Diablo so well (both GTO or DSD ’filters’ available to choose between), and to be fair, GTO mode quelled most of my want to get the R2R DAC.. (it is on the radar, but upgrading the transport that feeds the Diablo netted such a sound upgrade (a true testimony to the Diablos ‘reference’ capability and scalability depending on parts paired with); I have lost most interest in ‘sidegrading’ parts, for awhile…

The firmware updates that the Diablo gets has added a lot of value to it in the time I have been using it.
If my original review score was to be a 9.5 (it was going to be a 9.5); then the firmware improvements put it in the ‘10‘ review score category.
This isn’t to say that if the Denafrips Ares II was rated 9.5 it would be worse- it is a different ‘tier’ of kit.

I feel the Diablo has proven itself a relative bargain.
Listening right now, M11+ feeding the Diablo using COAX cable, and simply giving 16bit 44khz (no DSD, no GTO) and the sound is incredible.
I’d buy again, right now, even a year later. Wouldn’t even be a consideration. (the Gryphon is cool, but the Diablo would have the sound edge in terms of best sound available in this price tier)

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #47 of 70
I did some AB listening using it as a DAC only and I do have different findings. The ifi DACs just are not to my liking. Very forward, much more in your head soundstage, instruments come across loud and full, but texture is missing. The D1SE is just a different beast for detail and precision, but we are comparing portable vs desktop. So my main point is, for portable good, for desktop usage - you can do significantly better for the same money. But to be fair, it depends on recordings and type of music as well. What my momma told me from Carrey Bell sounded surprisingly great on the Diablo. Need to test it with more headphones as well, I will comment once done (so far mostly paired with Sony Z1R closed backs and Sundaras).

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #48 of 70
I did some AB listening using it as a DAC only and I do have different findings. The ifi DACs just are not to my liking. Very forward, much more in your head soundstage, instruments come across loud and full, but texture is missing. The D1SE is just a different beast for detail and precision, but we are comparing portable vs desktop. So my main point is, for portable good, for desktop usage - you can do significantly better for the same money. But to be fair, it depends on recordings and type of music as well. What my momma told me from Carrey Bell sounded surprisingly great on the Diablo. Need to test it with more headphones as well, I will comment once done (so far mostly paired with Sony Z1R closed backs and Sundaras).
Please do tell what you think its better for the same kind of money for desktop.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #49 of 70
Please do tell what you think its better for the same kind of money for desktop.
So this is personal preference, I do not have enough experience with all sub500 amps, but for balanced the already mentioned A90+VMV D1SE - which to be fair may be like 1-200 USD more. Still same price range for me, but significant upgrade, at least to me and my preferences.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #50 of 70
So this is personal preference, I do not have enough experience with all sub500 amps, but for balanced the already mentioned A90+VMV D1SE - which to be fair may be like 1-200 USD more. Still same price range for me, but significant upgrade, at least to me and my preferences.
for single-ended amp, you can go lower the line on topping as well. I have not owned the THX amps, but would not hesitate with the 7series neither - that brings you to diablo pricing with the D1se as well

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #51 of 70
But I do love the ifi purifier and all the cables and bag that came with the Diablo, that was very cool. Could live without it though for 300USD less - at that point would call the Diablo a no brainer choice that trully competes with desktop setups and same price range.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #53 of 70
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #54 of 70
I'm trying to be respectful to other diablo owners :) but honestly the diference between the mentioned desktop setup and diablo to me is the same as difference between sounds good and I can't get away from it how great this sounds. I've spent months researching and am truly convinced you can't get better than a90,D1SE, unless you're willing to either double the price (at which point I'd consider x26pro DAC, or go r2r) or you're looking for specific sound (tubes, very bright/analytical, or some other very specific requirement to compensate as well for some other flaw in your system). I've heard better DACs and compared them...they costed double or more though, or have been better in specific aspects but overall nowhere close.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #55 of 70
I'm trying to be respectful to other diablo owners :) but honestly the diference between the mentioned desktop setup and diablo to me is the same as difference between sounds good and I can't get away from it how great this sounds. I've spent months researching and am truly convinced you can't get better than a90,D1SE, unless you're willing to either double the price (at which point I'd consider x26pro DAC, or go r2r) or you're looking for specific sound (tubes, very bright/analytical, or some other very specific requirement to compensate as well for some other flaw in your system). I've heard better DACs and compared them...they costed double or more though, or have been better in specific aspects but overall nowhere close.
Before someone reads this wrongly - I meant tubes or something bright/analytical :) like su-9, or d90se

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #58 of 70
Feb 12, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #59 of 70
@JK67 why didnt you buy the topping d90se instead of the smsl?

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #60 of 70
you can check the review here: zeos had one very positive review as well

I watched it. He sounds like a smsl seller.

I am more interested in the polish ferrum audio he has on the table

Users who are viewing this thread

Back