iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 6, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #5,611 of 5,936
Only 2nd? How come? Where does the internet come from....?
Try 1st+8th. On a TPLINK swich the differences where night and day.
Netgear has the most details and 3d sound from all that I've tested so far (mostly cheap ones). A little less weight in the bass tho.....I have also a DLINK for testing, but no time to test it ...
Port 1 is the Internet from the modem.
Port 2 is ethernet cable from switch to IFI Stream.

Tried using 1st + 8th. Nothing significant in terms of sound change.
I actually didn't like the Netgear gs108 with the stock wallwart, it made the overall sound signature slightly harsh and grainy.
The LHY LPS 12V with dual output to ZS and switch sounds much better.

Yea, these switches are so cheap to play around with.
The Netgear was around 20cad and the D-Link was 10 dollars in the 2nd hand market.
Definitely worth experimenting with it.

Are you using the IFI web browser music player or a 3rd party media/ audio player?

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #5,612 of 5,936

I actually didn't like the Netgear gs108 with the stock wallwart, it made the overall sound signature slightly harsh and grainy.

The Netgear was around 20cad and the D-Link was 10 dollars in the 2nd hand market.

Are you using the IFI web browser music player or a 3rd party media/ audio player?
You should try to daisy chain multiple GS108's (powered with LPS's of course). I use 4 in my chain. Each extra one makes a positive impact on sound quality. The GS108 sounds a tad better than GS105 imo, but both sounds better than D-Link. I will buy a LHY switch for another system and do a comparison between the LHY and the 4 daisy chained Netgear switches.
I own both the Zen Stream and the Wiim Pro. (both powered by LPS) The Zen sounds better imo. Not by much in AIO mode, but the Zen in exclusive mode (DNLA) sounds noticeable more open/detailed/transparent than the Wiim.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #5,613 of 5,936
You should try to daisy chain multiple GS108's (powered with LPS's of course). I use 4 in my chain. Each extra one makes a positive impact on sound quality. The GS108 sounds a tad better than GS105 imo, but both sounds better than D-Link. I will buy a LHY switch for another system and do a comparison between the LHY and the 4 daisy chained Netgear switches.
I own both the Zen Stream and the Wiim Pro. (both powered by LPS) The Zen sounds better imo. Not by much in AIO mode, but the Zen in exclusive mode (DNLA) sounds noticeable more open/detailed/transparent than the Wiim.
What changes do you notice going from a switching power supply brick to a LPS say from AliExpress or do you have a Sbooster?

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #5,614 of 5,936
Thanks for the pro tip.
Mode 5 is better than Mode 1.

I thought turning all the sources off except the source you want is fine but mode 5 sounds cleaner / better than mode 1 with J River.
Which DLNA player are you using?
Jriver? Audirvanna?
I cannot decide which one sounds better......the sound presentation is different though.
J River randomly refuses to connect with the ZS - pretty annoying.
Audirvanna connects to the ZS 100% of the time.

I will try to daisy chain the DLink and Netgear together and see what I hear.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #5,615 of 5,936
Thanks for the pro tip.

I thought turning all the sources off except the source you want is fine but mode 5 sounds cleaner / better than mode 1 with J River.
Jriver? Audivanna?
I cannot decide which one sounds better......the sound presentation is different though.

That was the whole intention of the dedicated modes, turning off all functionality except what is needed for that mode.

As a Roon user, I also perceive a better sound stage and clarity using that mode. Thanks for sharing your impression!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #5,616 of 5,936
That was the whole intention of the dedicated modes, turning off all functionality except what is needed for that mode.

As a Roon user, I also perceive a better sound stage and clarity using that mode. Thanks for sharing your impression!

Cheers!!
Nowhere in the 2 sheet instruction manual states dedicated mode would sound better.
In addition, on the web browser inn mode 1 - under settings sources - you can turn off all the sources you are not using which makes the user feel as though that is the best setting.

You guys have a good product at its core - but feels like it's surrounded by beta software and instructions.
The real instruction manual is a 375-page headfi.org forum.....lol

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #5,617 of 5,936
Nowhere in the 2 sheet instruction manual states dedicated mode would sound better.
In addition, on the web browser inn mode 1 - under settings sources - you can turn off all the sources you are not using which makes the user feel as though that is the best setting.

You guys have a good product at its core - but feels like it's surrounded by beta software and instructions.
Thanks for the comments, I will pass your thoughts along above me!

Enjoy!!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #5,618 of 5,936
What changes do you notice going from a switching power supply brick to a LPS say from AliExpress or do you have a Sbooster?
LPS on dacs, streamers, switches and routers gives a more involving less fatigueing, smoother, harsh/sibilance free presentation of the music reproduction. Espesiallyl noticable on not so stellar recordings. I do not have an Sbooster. I use AliExpress ones. Not the cheapest ones, they are a waste of money. TeraDak and Tiancoolkei R-Core with upgaded DC cables and fuses sound very good ime. I allso use two Allo shantis and a LHY. I prefer the sound of The R-Core ones over the Toroidal transformers. The R-core sounds snappier and a touch more transparent/cleaner.
On the ONT (optical network terminal) i use the stock SMPS with an Ifi DC-iPurifier. For some reason a LPS on the ONT degraded the SQ.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #5,619 of 5,936
Thanks for the pro tip.

Jriver? Audirvanna?
J River randomly refuses to connect with the ZS - pretty annoying.
Audirvanna connects to the ZS 100% of the time.

I use Jplay for Ios, much better SQ than Mconnect imo. Turning off all the sources you are not using will not bring an uptick in SQ as using exclusive mode ime.
Ime adding a DLink to 3 Netgear switches sounded worse than just the 3 Netgears allone. 4 Nettgears sounded better than 3.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #5,620 of 5,936

On some switches the differences where easy to hear! Frankly i didn't test the Netgear specifically.
I use the Netgear GS108+stock PS. Tried it with iPower(I have spare 12V) combo but no real sound bennefit. Maybe if it is LPS like yours.....

Very cheap yes. My thoughts also, worth a try for everyone using a streamer! Also maybe I'm imagining but.....I think the 3d and details got better on other inputs of my DAC as well.

I'm using Spotify Connect / Tidal Connect for the convenience.

I did jump from iPower to Sbooster and it was positive soundwise in every aspect, more musical!
Be shure to use a good power cord for the LPS, made a big difference for me!! At first i was trying the stock one and I was a little disappointed.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #5,622 of 5,936
Hi everyone,

Does anyone here prefer WiFi connection vs Ethernet? My access point is only 8ft away. Seems more organic and transparent in wifi configuration. Let me hear your thoughts?

Thanks!
Most of the time the reason why wifi sounds better, is because ethernet puts electrical dirt in the ifi stream, which translates in harshness in the audio

Dec 10, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #5,623 of 5,936
Most of the time the reason why wifi sounds better, is because ethernet puts electrical dirt in the ifi stream, which translates in harshness in the audio
Yes. Thats the reason why a Switch with Linear Power Supply or the Fiber Media Converter mod could make it sound better.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #5,624 of 5,936
LPS on dacs, streamers, switches and routers gives a more involving less fatigueing, smoother, harsh/sibilance free presentation of the music reproduction. Espesiallyl noticable on not so stellar recordings. I do not have an Sbooster. I use AliExpress ones. Not the cheapest ones, they are a waste of money. TeraDak and Tiancoolkei R-Core with upgaded DC cables and fuses sound very good ime. I allso use two Allo shantis and a LHY. I prefer the sound of The R-Core ones over the Toroidal transformers. The R-core sounds snappier and a touch more transparent/cleaner.
On the ONT (optical network terminal) i use the stock SMPS with an Ifi DC-iPurifier. For some reason a LPS on the ONT degraded the SQ.
Ok thanks for sharing your experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back