iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #5,536 of 5,913
Hello,

I would like to put out a question for ifi that I think concerns others too according to the last tidal update of Flac hi-res tracks....

So as everyone knows Tidal has been adding Flac hi res files to go along or replace the mqa ones...

Tidal desktop app for windows and Mac OS works fine with that....but Tidal Connect still serves only the mqa versions of the tracks and labeling them as ''max''. As far as I know the only way to get lossless tidal stream with the zen stream is to use Tidal Connect....so tidal users can't access the hi-res Flac files.

According to what information I have gathered in order to have access to tidal's new files the os on the zen stream needs to be updated too....

So I would like to up a question for Ifi audio....are there any plans to update the os so that we can have access to the hi res catalogue?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:
If Ifi don’t solve other issues with the ifi stream, they won’t solve this either. If it works for your personal situation, buy it (the it works very well).

But don’t expect support for Qobuz, no Tidal updates, no Deezer, no new Spotify connect version when supremium get’s launched, no fix for a decent smb share support etc…

I own the device, but I am already looking for a replacement without the quircks, annoys be bigtime

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #5,537 of 5,913
If Ifi don’t solve other issues with the ifi stream, they won’t solve this either. If it works for your personal situation, buy it (the it works very well).

But don’t expect support for Qobuz, no Tidal updates, no Deezer, no new Spotify connect version when supremium get’s launched, no fix for a decent smb share support etc…

I own the device, but I am already looking for a replacement without the quircks, annoys be bigtime
I also own the device and it works perfectly for tidal connect as log as you use wired connection....wifi was just not usable...constant drops...

Connecting a usb hard drive with flac files was a pain too....

I don't understand how a company don't support their own product....especially when they are in cooperation with Tidal...its not good business....they have to support tidal's (and other services they support) with their updates.

Tidal replaced mqa files with hi res ones for a reason...mainly cause customers wanted it...if I am forced to be served mqa not only I will stop tidal subscription but next streamer I will get will definitely be one that supports updates....

I think they will issue this...it's bad business if they don't. Especially when tidal is not supported through dlna as far as I know.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #5,539 of 5,913
I also own the device and it works perfectly for tidal connect as log as you use wired connection....wifi was just not usable...constant drops...

Connecting a usb hard drive with flac files was a pain too....

I don't understand how a company don't support their own product....especially when they are in cooperation with Tidal...its not good business....they have to support tidal's (and other services they support) with their updates.

Tidal replaced mqa files with hi res ones for a reason...mainly cause customers wanted it...if I am forced to be served mqa not only I will stop tidal subscription but next streamer I will get will definitely be one that supports updates....

I think they will issue this...it's bad business if they don't. Especially when tidal is not supported through dlna as far as I know.
I think that is a ongoing issue, with more hifi suppliers, they invest a lot of time in the hardware, but refuse to invest in the IT/software part.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #5,540 of 5,913
I think that is a ongoing issue, with more hifi suppliers, they invest a lot of time in the hardware, but refuse to invest in the IT/software part.
Yes but not when it comes to be in the way of proper operation of the device.

If tidal next year stop all mqa support....are we going to pay full price for the mid tier catalogue?

This will be something to consider for every new possible buyer of the streamer if he want's to use tidal connect. I exclusively preferred the zen stream cause of tis tidal connect option.

And considering that their os is based on volumio....they don't start from scratch...

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #5,541 of 5,913
Folks,

I know that our tech department is working on the Tidal issue (MQA/HiRez Flac) and a solution will be forthcoming for not only the Zen Stream but The NEO Stream as well.

Although I do not have a solid date, rest assured we are aware of this and it is being addressed.

Also, Tidal needs to completely switch all files over to Hi Rez Lossless, after all any piece of kit can have MQA inside but if it doesn't see that MQA Flag it won't activate MQA Decoding.

CHeers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #5,542 of 5,913
Folks,

I know that our tech department is working on the Tidal issue (MQA/HiRez Flac) and a solution will be forthcoming for not only the Zen Stream but The NEO Stream as well.

Although I do not have a solid date, rest assured we are aware of this and it is being addressed.

Also, Tidal needs to completely switch all files over to Hi Rez Lossless, after all any piece of kit can have MQA inside but if it doesn't see that MQA Flag it won't activate MQA Decoding.

CHeers!!
Maybe start supporting QOBUZ and DEEZER as well… instead of overpriced Tidal

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #5,543 of 5,913
Maybe start supporting QOBUZ and DEEZER as well… instead of overpriced Tidal
There's no Qobuz Connect implementation like Tidal is offering.
You can yet use apps like MConnect for streaming Qobuz with Zen Stream.
Best and most stable solution for both Qobuz and Tidal is Roon for me though I ve also been using Audirvana with Zen Stream some time in the past

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #5,544 of 5,913
Folks,

CHeers!!
Thank you for your reply,

Tidal on its last update changed the ''logo'' of the playing file from ''max'' to ''max/mqa''...same way is displayed when I use the tidal app directly without tidal connect,

some of them are still mqa others are Flac high rez but still long way to go to replace all of them....

Hope it will be sorted soon so we can enjoy tidal in its full potential.

Cheers

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #5,545 of 5,913
There's no Qobuz Connect implementation like Tidal is offering.
You can yet use apps like MConnect for streaming Qobuz with Zen Stream.
Best and most stable solution for both Qobuz and Tidal is Roon for me though I ve also been using Audirvana with Zen Stream some time in the past

actually, I would recommend JPLAY iOS app instead of mconnect. It does both tidal and Qobuz in a neat and combined way. the design UI - and sound is excellent too. Very much recommended and I found it sounding a lot better then mconnect and Roon for that matter. But that is compared to Roon coming from a laptop or a nuc.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #5,546 of 5,913
actually, I would recommend JPLAY iOS app instead of mconnect. It does both tidal and Qobuz in a neat and combined way. the design UI - and sound is excellent too. Very much recommended and I found it sounding a lot better then mconnect and Roon for that matter. But that is compared to Roon coming from a laptop or a nuc.
will give that a try, did not like the mconnect implementation.

Nov 13, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #5,547 of 5,913
I’ve had the Zen Stream for awhile and most of the time I have issues trying to connect to it. In order to stream a game on Saturday, had to do a reset then reload the latest update to make it work. Took me awhile to get it to work with Qobuz today but did not need to reset it. Now, the 2 lights (connectivity and streaming rate) are not on. Maybe it is time to look for something different.

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #5,548 of 5,913
I’ve had the Zen Stream for awhile and most of the time I have issues trying to connect to it. In order to stream a game on Saturday, had to do a reset then reload the latest update to make it work. Took me awhile to get it to work with Qobuz today but did not need to reset it. Now, the 2 lights (connectivity and streaming rate) are not on. Maybe it is time to look for something different.
How are you connecting to the ZS? WiFi or wired?

Have you tried reseting to the factory defaults AND very carefully follow the steps outlined in the 1st post of this thread?

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #5,549 of 5,913
How are you connecting to the ZS? WiFi or wired?

Have you tried reseting to the factory defaults AND very carefully follow the steps outlined in the 1st post of this thread?
Connecting to WiFi. As I stated earlier, reset the box and followed connection steps as shown. It works fine once connected but when it is powered down, it is a pain trying to get it going again.

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #5,550 of 5,913
I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

When it has trouble after starting up, does it show up when you check connected devices on your router?

I don't suppose that you have access to a long enough ethernet cable to use temporarily to help with troubleshooting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back