iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #5,386 of 5,934
How does airplay 2 works with the zen stream?

I did the update and tried to stream (via airplay from a MacBook Pro 2018) a 24/06 Flac from tidal app but the zen stream still gets 16bit sample rates.

How is that different from before? Is there another way to send lossless signal to the zen stream without using the tidal connect way?
I understand you can't get lossless with Airplay 2 . With the ZS you need to use a third party App, like MConnect, Jplay or Roon.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #5,387 of 5,934
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #5,388 of 5,934
Then what is the difference from airplay 1?

Having said that I always do the updates cause except features they also may include safety updates as well.

My goal is to stream high res Flac files from tidal but the geniuses in tidal updated their content...from mqa to 24/96 Flac files...but tidal connect doesn't support it yet.

So I am trying to find another way around it....also tidal's desktop app messes with the sound quality unfortunately

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #5,390 of 5,934
Then what is the difference from airplay 1?

Having said that I always do the updates cause except features they also may include safety updates as well.

My goal is to stream high res Flac files from tidal but the geniuses in tidal updated their content...from mqa to 24/96 Flac files...but tidal connect doesn't support it yet.

So I am trying to find another way around it....also tidal's desktop app messes with the sound quality unfortunately
I think that Airplay 2 is the same as Airplay 1, as far as SQ is concerned. However, it allows you to make calls and other things without stopping the stream and has some sort of multiroom funcionality (never used it). When Hegel updated to AP 2, it became more unstable compared to the original version and they claim it has to do with Airplay 2. Maybe it's going to be better with the ZS

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #5,392 of 5,934
How does airplay 2 works with the zen stream?

I did the update and tried to stream (via airplay from a MacBook Pro 2018) a 24/06 Flac from tidal app but the zen stream still gets 16bit sample rates.

How is that different from before? Is there another way to send lossless signal to the zen stream without using the tidal connect way?
Yes use network NAA, I use it with hqplayer, sending it lossless through the network. (U can use hqplayer with or without upsampling)

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #5,394 of 5,934
What does it use to serve the files? tidal connect or tidal desktop app?

Is MConnect available on iOS?
I suppose it functions as many other streaming Apps, by "making contact with the Tidal server". It is avaliable on iOS. Please note that for Ipad it is named MConnect HD and you must buy it separately from the Iphone App. Both are very cheap and there's a free version called "light". I haven't used it for a while, so I can't guarantee that some things have not changed

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #5,395 of 5,934
I suppose it functions as many other streaming Apps, by "making contact with the Tidal server". It is avaliable on iOS. Please note that for Ipad it is named MConnect HD and you must buy it separately from the Iphone App. Both are very cheap and there's a free version called "light". I haven't used it for a while, so I can't guarantee that some things have not changed
Thanks for the info I will give it a try

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #5,396 of 5,934
Has anyone else noticed that Tidal Connect through ZS is no longer gapless? It’s been like it since Tidal started changing from MQA to hi-res flac. Using mConnect gives gapless playback.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #5,398 of 5,934
Does anybody experience problems using airplay since the new firmware?

I have big issues using it with our national radio iOS app. It finds the zen stream in the app but when selecting it the zen stream plays no sound and doesn’t register it either in the right stream light notification lamp on the front.

I always had an issue where I had to toggle the selection between the device and zen stream two times before it registered and played sound but now it takes 8-10 tries to get it to work. It’s broken - don’t believe it’s the app.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #5,399 of 5,934
Wondering if anyone here has tried the Swagman Labs LPS with your Zen Stream. Considering the Sbooster, but it would be nice to save a bit of money if possible!
I too am interested in the swagman lab PS for the Zen Stream. The stand 12 v 2amp unit is $140 and the signature is $285 as of 8/23/23.
the signature is listed as "
"Signature edition means all the parts will be upgraded in order to maximize the performance toward more AUDIOHILE

e.g. Nuvotem Talema transformer, Furutech Gold plated IEC socket, Japan branding capacitors, Dale resistors, silver plated copper internal wiring & silver soldering etc. Also, the EMI filter and Ceramic fuse will be installed as well. "
I'm also considering a Teratek. They make a couple of different grades too it seems. Any feedback on them? Not really interested in spending more than $200 or at most $300.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #5,400 of 5,934
I use the small green computer LPS 12 volt at 285. I did add the Teddy Pardo Connector for 50 dollars. Pangea power cord for 50.

I am a little vague about whether I can hear a real difference in an LPS above these price levels.

I am using a fairly high resolution equipment LTA preamp/Bryston amp/Magnapan LRS+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back