iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #3,616 of 5,865
I seem to have a bug where the first thing streamed to it after booting outputs nothing. If I stop until the sample rate LED turns off and then resume it outputs fine and works as expected until the next reboot. This only happens once per reboot, so not a huge deal, just a little annoying.

Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? Are you oN the stock power supply?

I almost always steam Roon, sometimes Spotify.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will forward this along to our team and see if there is anything we can do on our end.

Unfotunatelly no results
But such dances are not an option for me if every time I have to not breathe if I have to turn it off (and I only have wi-fi)

Hi,

Is your router a 5ghz network-only router, perhaps? Does it not have 2.4 GhZ?

Hi all, new user of the stream here :) I have read most of this thread, but am I the only one with volume control issues?

Running the Stream with either spdif or USB to a Rega DAC, updated the Stream firmware, enabled software mixing and allowed mpd control. But with both Tidal connect and mconnect from my Android phone, I can't adjust the volume in the apps :frowning2: Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks for replying! Yes, but unfortunately no changes. It plays at 100% volume and adjusting the volume in the Tidal app has no effect at all.

Hi,

Can you try another service like Spotify, and let me know if the volume control is still blacked out?

Also, are you running Tidal through mConnect or is it another service like Qobuz?

Wondering if anyone here has tried the Swagman Labs LPS with your Zen Stream. Considering the Sbooster, but it would be nice to save a bit of money if possible!

Folks here have plenty of positive experiences with swapping the power supply when you're ready for that, especially if it's LPS.

On our end, we generally recommend the iPower X 12v as a starting point.

Hi, I’ve just bought an Ifi stream and have the same problem. Usb not detected. Can you fix that issue?

For me it definitely made an improvement, I'm using the X and 15v

Cheers!!

Purchased the iPower X 15v.
Thanks forvthe support.

Cheers - thanks!

@iFi audio I have gone from using Tidal mode to AIO mode tonight. Within the ZS settings I have every source turned off except for “Tidal Connect”. Is this equivalent to being in the Tidal exclusive mode 3?

If so, this is preferable because I can turn on other modes in the settings whenever I want to use another source without physically having to change the mode on the back of the unit. If I recall, I couldn’t access the Stream-iFi app when in Mode 3 (Tidal). This makes me think something else is turned on in the ZS when in Mode 1 (AIO).

I need to experiment and try to open the Stream-iFi app while in Mode 1 then switch to Mode 3 and see if I am still connected to the app and able to change source settings.

Hi,

There is different hardware processing that goes into the exclusive modes, so it is not technically the same as if you were to turn off all the sources except for Tidal connect.

You should still be able to access the app no matter what mode you are in - can you experiment for me, and let me know your continued results?

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,617 of 5,865
There is different hardware processing that goes into the exclusive modes, so it is not technically the same as if you were to turn off all the sources except for Tidal connect.

You should still be able to access the app no matter what mode you are in - can you experiment for me, and let me know your continued results?
Thanks for the response. I will do some more experimenting. I’m wondering now if I can put the ZS in Mode 3 and then manually enable Airplay in the settings when I need it. I don’t want to stay in Mode 1 while using Tidal if it is negatively affecting sound quality. I was hoping turning off all the other sources except Tidal Connect while in Mode 1 would be equivalent to Mode 3, but that doesn’t seem to be the case from what you’re saying.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #3,618 of 5,865
I just switched back to Mode 3 (Tidal) and I cannot access the ZS settings though the app or iFi.local. I have to be in Mode 1 to get into the app. Is this the way it is designed? To be able to switch from Airplay to Tida Connect, it appears to me that Mode 1 with those two sources enabled is my only option.

Since I do 90% of my listening on Tidal I’m going to leave the ZS in Mode 3 most of the time. I hope future firmware will allow me to access the source settings while in Mode 3 but only if this can be accomplished with no detriment to the sound quality of Tidal Connect.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #3,619 of 5,865
I just switched back to Mode 3 (Tidal) and I cannot access the ZS settings though the app or iFi.local. I have to be in Mode 1 to get into the app. Is this the way it is designed? To be able to switch from Airplay to Tida Connect, it appears to me that Mode 1 with those two sources enabled is my only option.

Since I do 90% of my listening on Tidal I’m going to leave the ZS in Mode 3 most of the time. I hope future firmware will allow me to access the source settings while in Mode 3 but only if this can be accomplished with no detriment to the sound quality of Tidal Connect.
Same here,it's always done this to me since the first fw,as soon as I change from aio to mode3/tidal connect I can't sign bck into the app,mentioned this before

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #3,620 of 5,865
Same here,it's always done this to me since the first fw,as soon as I change from aio to mode3/tidal connect I can't sign bck into the app,mentioned this before
It kind of makes sense though if you think about it. Every process unrelated to Tidal Connect is turned off in Mode 3 to optimize the performance. I just want to make sure this is an accurate explanation according to iFi.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #3,621 of 5,865

It kind of makes sense though if you think about it. Every process unrelated to Tidal Connect is turned off on in Mode 3 to optimize the performance. I just want to make sure this is an accurate explanation according to iFi.

It is indeed an accurate explanation, and after some double-checking on my end, why it does this!

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #3,622 of 5,865
It is indeed an accurate explanation, and after some double-checking on my end, why it does this!
If I need Airplay for YouTube or whatever, I’ll just switch to Mode 1. I can handle the inconvenience if it means I’m getting maximum sound quality from Tidal while in Mode 3.

For those of you that don’t have easy access to the back of your Zen Stream, it might be worth the compromise to keep it in Mode 1 with all unused sources disabled. Probably not optimal but much more convenient.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #3,623 of 5,865
So I isolated my network issues to the power supply. I was about to order an iPower to see if it would fix my issue of losing connectivity (ethernet or wifi, which necessitated a reboot and wifi adoption steps). I found another power supply with the same barrel size and polarity - and was within acceptable voltage. It's a power supply from a device I haven't used in years but the ZS has been rock solid with it. This power supply has ferrite on the end near the barrel connector that plugs into the ZS. IFI support suspected I had issues with voltage drops but I'm confident it is EM interference messing with the crappy power supply provided with the ZS - which doesn't have ferrite on the end - and resulted in the power cable being susceptible to interference -eg acting like an antenna. If the space heater or fridge compressor in my office turned on then I would lose connection to the ZS and had to power cycle it.

Overall I'm happy with the sound and performance of the unit now using it with Roon/Qobuz and my Bifrost. As far as user experience even with the power supply issue sorted I'm afraid its a bit lacking for a $400 device.
Have just spotted this and must have missed your earlier posts so apologies but this sounds similar to one of my issues where my zs keeps dropping the network (wired) and every now and then switches itself off. I think with the latest beta upgrade it drops the network and then finds it again which is something at least. Does this sound like a power supply issue similar to yours? Cheers!

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #3,624 of 5,865
Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? Are you oN the stock power supply?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will forward this along to our team and see if there is anything we can do on our end.

Hi,

Hi,

Can you try another service like Spotify, and let me know if the volume control is still blacked out?

Also, are you running Tidal through mConnect or is it another service like Qobuz?

Folks here have plenty of positive experiences with swapping the power supply when you're ready for that, especially if it's LPS.

Cheers - thanks!

Hi,

There is different hardware processing that goes into the exclusive modes, so it is not technically the same as if you were to turn off all the sources except for Tidal conne

In DLNA exclusive mode the app has never worked, it freezes. I am on 2.30.7. Let me also remind that, in spdif, the zen stream always misses the first second of any track; this doesn't happen on USB on the same dac.
Thank you

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,626 of 5,865

Hi,

This happened since day 1 with the stock PSU also. I use an ipower x psu now. resync delay with room did not help as suggested elsewhere.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,627 of 5,865
Prior to updating to beta firmware, I had mqa pass through on because my dac prefers to do the work. The right led was always green.

Now with the beta firmware, the right led changes colour depending on the mqa song even with mqa passthrough on?

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #3,628 of 5,865

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers - thanks!

Hi,

I can only access the App in AIO mode.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #3,629 of 5,865
A little update,added an
S booster power supply
(12-13.5 volt) two days ago,set to 13.5 v. There is no going back now,feels like I am on stage with the musicians. I also have an
S booster on my Dac. The value of this little streamer with quality power attached is off the charts.
I once ran a Naim Nd5xs2 into a Chord Mscaler/TT2, and I do not feel like I am missing anything,with 1/6 th the money invested.That includes my Dac and $500 dollar USB cable,Zen
Stream,and 2 S boosters.
Happy in Canada :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #3,630 of 5,865
A little update,added an
S booster power supply
(12-13.5 volt) two days ago,set to 13.5 v. There is no going back now,feels like I am on stage with the musicians. I also have an
S booster on my Dac. The value of this little streamer with quality power attached is off the charts.
I once ran a Naim Nd5xs2 into a Chord Mscaler/TT2, and I do not feel like I am missing anything,with 1/6 th the money invested.That includes my Dac and $500 dollar USB cable,Zen
Stream,and 2 S boosters.
Happy in Canada :)
Which power supply were you using before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back